• No, I'd expect 8:44 to be too late to order

Votes: 19 9.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We went out to Worthing's excellent Egremont pub last night for drinks and something to eat.

When I went to the bar for our first drinks, I asked either one of these (I can't remember my exact words):

"Are you still doing food?", or "Are you still serving food?"

The barman checked the clock, it was a little after 8, and said something like "Yes, until 9."

We perused the menu over our first drinks and around 8:40 I went to the bar to get another round of drinks and order some food whereupon I was told they'd finished food and were taking no more orders. I checked my watch and it was 8:44.

I posted this on a Worthing food & drink page on FB, and it sparked a fair bit of debate, with some thinking I was in the wrong and I was ordering too late. Even if the barman was stating that food was served until 9, at no point did he indicate I'd need to order by a certain time in order to get food.

Given what I have described, would you expect to still be able to order food at 8:44?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
40 years ago The Egremont was one of the best pubs in Worthing when Bryn Eaver ran it but it then went through very poor times and bad management but from reports it seems to be getting back to its former glory. Good to see and hear.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We went out to Worthing's excellent Egremont pub last night for drinks and something to eat.

When I went to the bar for our first drinks, I asked either one of these:

"Are you still doing food?", or "Are you still serving food?"

The barman checked the clock, it was a little after 8, and said something like "Yes, until 9."

We perused the menu over our first drinks and around 8:40 I went to the bar to get another round of drinks and order some food whereupon I was told they'd finished food and were taking no more orders. I checked my watch and it was 8:44.

I posted this on a Worthing food & drink page on FB, and it sparked a fair bit of debate, with some thinking I was in the wrong and I was ordering too late. Even if the barman was stating that food was served until 9, at no point did he indicate I'd need to order by a certain time in order to get food.

Given what I have described, would you expect to still be able to order food at 8:44?

Of course you would. Nonsense to stop serving at 8.45 on a Saturday night. Very reasonable to expect to be be able to get food in pubs and restaurants until at least 10 ish or so, especially at weekends.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If the barman said " food served until 9 " I would expect to order food before 9.

Not sure why some on Facebook think you are ordering too late, and thinking you are in the wrong.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Food until 9 would definitely suggest to me that you can order food up until 9.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If the barman said " food served until 9 " I would expect to order food before 9.

Not sure why some on Facebook think you are ordering too late, and thinking you are in the wrong.

I deleted the post because it was just getting ridiculous, so I can't copy and paste some of the responses now but some were just bizarre, including a suggestion that I'd left it late to order on purpose to catch the pub out so I could complain (I didn't complain, I bought some crisps).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I deleted the post because it was just getting ridiculous, so I can't copy and paste some of the responses now but some were just bizarre, including a suggestion that I'd left it late to order on purpose to catch the pub out so I could complain (I didn't complain, I bought some crisps).

It's something that pisses me off in this country concerning the serving of food. Served by ? Ordered by ? Just keep the customer happy and they'll come again. Piss them off in the slightest by being petty and they might never come again. Doing a HT here but it would never happen in Italy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they want to close the kitchen and be out at 9, which is upto them, they be clear last orders are at 8:30. if they say they are doing/serving food until 9, i expect them to take an order up until 9. do see pubs with the distinction to order before 9, 10, 11, so this isnt a freak occurance.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
What sort of business like that would want to stop selling food on the busiest night of the week so early ? I expect the owner will be closing it down soon because of lack of customers or not enough money coming in

We need Corbyn to nationalise the food industry along with his other pet projects so we can sort this out once and for all, have a word with him

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Shite customer service. Not only did the barman tell them food was served till nine, he also didn't tell them to get the order in by twenty to, or whatever. A real slap in the face for the customer, might as well tell them to f*** off. This happens a lot and is down to shite management and usually a stroppy chef who starts cleaning down at 8.30, shutting down equipment etc. Happens a lot, but to not tell the customer is utterly shite.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is this not making food available late in the evening thge start of the foreign food as they were prepared to work later to satisfy the customer needs. Hence in the 60s after the pub closed people started going for a Chinese initially then Indian came about then Kebabs etc.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Considering how much of pub food is cooked in a pre set oven for each item or a high function microwave I'd have thought they could take your order and serve you within 15 minutes

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here