Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71
  1. #1
    Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Goldstone
    Posts
    42,069

    Guidance on libel on NSC


    0 Not allowed!
    A thread has just been removed from NSC, which I guess is due to concern over possibly libelous content.

    Separately on NSC I was pulled up on something possibly libelous the other day.

    Could we have some guidelines on what we are and aren't allowed to say?
    Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2
      Super Moderator
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      34,923


      9 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      A thread has just been removed from NSC, which I guess is due to concern over possibly libelous content.

      Separately on NSC I was pulled up on something possibly libelous the other day.

      Could we have some guidelines on what we are and aren't allowed to say?
      A good starting point I use is to only say something about someone that I would say to their face and be willing to discuss with them.
    • #3
      Members maltaseagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Zabbar- Malta
      Posts
      8,099


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      A thread has just been removed from NSC, which I guess is due to concern over possibly libelous content.

      Separately on NSC I was pulled up on something possibly libelous the other day.

      Could we have some guidelines on what we are and aren't allowed to say?
      If it can be proven to be true, it's probably ok. Otherwise best not to repeat?
      My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

      My definition of a sad git is any Palarse fan who has posted more than 100 times on NSC.
    • #4
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      42,069


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      A good starting point I use is to only say something about someone that I would say to their face and be willing to discuss.
      But that's not NSC Titanic, and I don't really think Bozza would want the place to be like that. If we were all just perfectly polite about everyone and everything this would be a very different forum.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #5
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      42,069


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maltaseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      If it can be proven to be true, it's probably ok. Otherwise best not to repeat?
      We can call each other ***** though, right? You can call me a **** and you may even get a large number of witnesses to testify on your behalf, but in court a medical doctor would probably disagree. Ok, maybe not, I'm probably a bad example, but you know what I mean.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
    • #6
      Members maltaseagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Zabbar- Malta
      Posts
      8,099


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We can call each other ***** though, right? You can call me a **** and you may even get a large number of witnesses to testify on your behalf, but in court a medical doctor would probably disagree. Ok, maybe not, I'm probably a bad example, but you know what I mean.
      One for the legal experts I guess
      My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

      My definition of a sad git is any Palarse fan who has posted more than 100 times on NSC.
    • #7
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      70,023


      0 Not allowed!
      I was always under the impression that what you say to or about any body must be able to be proved as correct. ie if I said you was ugly provided I can prove it it is ok if not it is libel.
    • #8
      Super Moderator
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      34,923


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I was always under the impression that what you say to or about any body must be able to be proved as correct. ie if I said you was ugly provided I can prove it it is ok if not it is libel.
      It is not illegal to be ugly... and it is a matter of opinion not fact anyway.
    • #9
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      70,023


      0 Not allowed!
      It is interesting to note that in the book Broken Dreams by Tom Bower, which is an expose, available on Amazon, of football corruption a number of high profile managers were named for taking back handers in transfers and nobody sued the author not even the one who is still alive.
    • #10
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      70,023


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It is not illegal to be ugly... and it is a matter of opinion not fact anyway.
      That was just an example should we change that to a thief or con man

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •