Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

De-segregation at football matches

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
With so many Cologne fans going to the Emirates, and the potential for so much trouble (which is the go-to position of the authorities), and a reported 'riot' by certain sections of the Hate-Press actually a myth (yes, there were a few incidents), is there a case for some matches to be 'de-segregated'?

Has the fan culture in English football changed to the extent that it warrants a relaxing of segregated areas (an alien concept to some countries)?

On one hand, football fans are able to mingle at the Amex before and after a game, and are encouraged to buy beer etc. On the other, has the policing of matches (before, during and after by all stakeholders) made for an environment that shouldn't be tinkered with?

Over to you...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
With so many Cologne fans going to the Emirates, and the potential for so much trouble (which is the go-to position of the authorities), and a reported 'riot' by certain sections of the Hate-Press actually a myth (yes, there were a few incidents), is there a case for some matches to be 'de-segregated'?

Has the fan culture in English football changed to the extent that it warrants a relaxing of segregated areas (an alien concept to some countries)?

On one hand, football fans are able to mingle at the Amex before and after a game, and are encouraged to buy beer etc. On the other, has the policing of matches (before, during and after by all stakeholders) made for an environment that shouldn't be tinkered with?

Over to you...

No. I don't want to sit next to opposition fans when watching the Albion play. Would ruin it completely for me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I like mingling and chatting to away fans before and after the game and find football violence and gesturing absolutely pathetic BUT at a stadium I want to stand side by side my own fans especially in terms of atmosphere and noise, it makes total sense to have all fans of one team together.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even if you could guarantee no violence (hypothetically) I'd still rather the fans were separate. I want to be with fellow fans when things go well or badly, I want a bit of panto singing against the opponents. Generally happy to talk to them before and after the game (don't think I'd want to talk to many Palace fans after a loss though).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think there should certainly be neutral areas, but also areas specifically reserved for home and away fans. More often than not (like 90% of the time), I'm team [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] on this one, but occasionally I'd like to be able to sit next to a mate or family in an environment where neither of us has to be a bit wary of some moron taking offence or looking for a fight.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been in the neutral area at Fulham twice and enjoyed it. Both times we've won, which obviously helps.

I'm old enough to remember being on the East terrace with mixed fans.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It's a no from me (although like someone said, the neutral area at Fulham works well).

1. Potential for trouble
2. Would it be the end of singing?

I like the back and forth of singing between fans - organised and well directed towards the opposition.

3. It would be a policing nightmare. Currently, there are home fans, away fans, and gaps in-between. The Police/stewards know exactly where they need to be. Make it a free for all in the stadium and they need to be positioned literally everywhere.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No. I don't want to sit next to opposition fans when watching the Albion play. Would ruin it completely for me.

100% this.

Football is pantomime by and large and I like it that way thanks. If I had to sit/stand next to opposition fans during a game then I'd probably stop going.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Been to plenty of Scotland Away games in the "home" end Wales, Ireland etc. Also Away fans tolerated in Scotland home end, even when England played at Celtic park. Saw one or two in the home end at Hampden recently but far less than in the friendly.

Can’t see it working at most league clubs though. Possibly a Neutral area like at Fulham for the types of matches where lots of away fans plan to travel without tickets. Arsenal will have known this was brewing for ages. They should have offered a larger away allocation as it was obvious their fans would stay away from a game like this.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I enjoy mixing with opposition fans before/after the game. But a big part of what makes those magical moments in football is the partisan nature of it all, the "us vs. them" mentality. That's where a lot of sports are different. Rugby has a much stronger emphasis on the appreciation and upholding of the game - football doesn't. It's about winning in the 90th minute after playing like shit for the other 89.

Maybe at international friendlies it would work, but in most other situations there are still too many idiots who would ruin for the res if segregation was taken away.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It should work, but wouldn't work. While the vast majority of people are perfectly capable of sitting with fans of the other team and enjoy a chat and an incite into their season, there are still too many idiots at games who would hurl abuse into the faces of opposing fans.

It has long been the case, especially with London away games, that we seem to unearth a whole group of "supporters" who suddenly turn up, having rarely seen them at other games, intent on getting extremely drunk. hurling abuse and a bit of mindless vandalism - basically like they are still going to a game in the early 80s. All the time that element is still going to games, then we are not able to de-segregate across the whole stadium. De-segregated areas, I can see that, but it can't be fully de-segregated.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For me: good god, no.

For others: if there really is sufficient demand then so be it.

However, I'd be surprised if there are many genuine regularly-attending football fans who would choose to sit in a mixed area instead of being with their own.

(Like others, I've been in the Fulham neutral area (although not through choice) but to all intents and purposes it was an Albion end at the time.)

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't advise bringing it on any scale now but I remember frequently me and my Dad standing with a mixture of home and away fans in the South Stand in the early 70s. Kicked off sometimes , like the Chelsea cup match, but it was usually pretty mutually tolerant.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Over to you...

It was a cock up on all sides.

Arsenal should have offered far more than the paltry 2900 they did. That game was never going to be so in demand that they could not have done this.

Equally, Cologne fans shouldn't be trying to get into parts of the ground that they should not. There were incidents and they have to be responsible for that.

All that said and done, there is room for non-segregation. Surely in this day and age we can manage that. We were non-segregated at Aston Villa. I have been in non-segregated games in Spain and Austria and it works. It works when people behave like civilized human beings.

Last night though, those conditions had not been laid down. You had families sat with loud Cologne fans and they were worried they would spill their iced Lattes.

It needs to all be set up well in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here