Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving in the U.K

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Having just ridden both to and from Germany via France, Belgium and Lux.. it pains me to say this but f**k me the driving in the U.K. is shockingly s**t. Not just s**t driving standards but slow as hell and people dithering about, even the belgiums which aren't exactly great don't seem as bad as us lot. Anytime there's a problem on our roads all the wanky people with an opinion just start chatting s**t about the speeds being too high, have a laugh we barely move! And the measures the government take to improve things is to slow everyone down even more and put f**king cameras everywhere. And those f**king gantry s**t jobs which cause everyone to jump on the brakes for usually no reason and rear end each other.

Germany is an absolute dream to drive in, great roads of which lots have no speed limits yet they're some of the safest in Europe.

All we seem to do is blame everything on speed in the uk and it's just led to lots of people driving like a c**t. A self riotious c**t at that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Do you work for the Department of Transport, by any chance, given the choice of words used.
Examples: driving standards, roads and UK. :wink:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Having just ridden both to and from Germany via France, Belgium and Lux.. it pains me to say this but f**k me the driving in the U.K. is shockingly s**t. Not just s**t driving standards but slow as hell and people dithering about, even the belgiums which aren't exactly great don't seem as bad as us lot. Anytime there's a problem on our roads all the wanky people with an opinion just start chatting s**t about the speeds being too high, have a laugh we barely move! And the measures the government take to improve things is to slow everyone down even more and put f**king cameras everywhere. And those f**king gantry s**t jobs which cause everyone to jump on the brakes for usually no reason and rear end each other.

Germany is an absolute dream to drive in, great roads of which lots have no speed limits yet they're some of the safest in Europe.

All we seem to do is blame everything on speed in the uk and it's just led to lots of people driving like a c**t. A self riotious c**t at that.

All that ranting about driving standards and apparently you're lost. Classic:mad::mad::dunce:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
0bb0427e178d6399aa6359a6d2f6e5ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be wrong but I havent seen many accidents when driving through France to Cyprus, Spain or Portugal and very few traffic jams. Perhaps we have just been lucky. IMHO there are too many cars on our roads so perhaps the answer is to make banned drivers take another test before getting their licence back. I also think it would help if company cars where stopped from being a tax concession and companies then had pool cars which would reduce the numbers given to employees who do not really need one.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Recently, I have been driving way too much on the m25. Got done for speeding at 73 in a 60. Not one single car in the photo other than mine. *****. What the duck is all that 60, 50,60, 40 all about. Tossers. No wonder there are crashes galore every day. Knobs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Recently, I have been driving way too much on the m25. Got done for speeding at 73 in a 60. Not one single car in the photo other than mine. *****. What the duck is all that 60, 50,60, 40 all about. Tossers. No wonder there are crashes galore every day. Knobs.

I am currently shitting it because there were flashes behind me on the M25 as I drive to the game on Saturday. Sudden 40 limit. No reason. Going with the flow at 55-60. Was it me flashed? I am currently on 9 points :facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

There are the speeds at which the authorities think it is safe to drive at. Perhaps the wrong people are being called tossers.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am currently shitting it because there were flashes behind me on the M25 as I drive to the game on Saturday. Sudden 40 limit. No reason. Going with the flow at 55-60. Was it me flashed? I am currently on 9 points :facepalm:

Count to 10 and relax. A driving ban is tough but there is no excuse for double grammar errors from you of all people.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I may be wrong but I havent seen many accidents when driving through France to Cyprus, Spain or Portugal and very few traffic jams. Perhaps we have just been lucky. IMHO there are too many cars on our roads so perhaps the answer is to make banned drivers take another test before getting their licence back. I also think it would help if company cars where stopped from being a tax concession and companies then had pool cars which would reduce the numbers given to employees who do not really need one.
That's because the accidents are all happening behind you ! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
'bleddy people going too fast' is just an easy get out clause to shift the blame from the shite driving standards we have here.

But then it's not just driving standards, it's the whole NIMBY thing. Elsewhere if one person wants to ruin it for lots of other people, they just get ignored. Here, they get listened to.

UTT

Jun 27, 2017

It's just another form of taxation and has absolutely jack shit to do with safety.

Just done the £70 2 hour motorway awareness course.
The bollocks the brain dead ********s are being paid to spout on th e course is staggering. Senses in the roads to detect air pollution and if said pollution hits a certain level, bang..drop the speed limit. Same senses detect road noise, in the middle of the night if road noise hits a certain level that could disturb Dennis & Doris who've lived near the motor way since it was built...bang reduce the speed limit.
They even believe, and have statistics to prove it(bollocks), that numbers of shunts/accidents have reduced since gantries went up!

My understanding is that the camera boxes on gantries don't get you, it's the yellow cameras on the far left that get you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having just ridden both to and from Germany via France, Belgium and Lux.. it pains me to say this but f**k me the driving in the U.K. is shockingly s**t. Not just s**t driving standards but slow as hell and people dithering about, even the belgiums which aren't exactly great don't seem as bad as us lot. Anytime there's a problem on our roads all the wanky people with an opinion just start chatting s**t about the speeds being too high, have a laugh we barely move!

Spot on.

I've driven thousands of miles in France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland, where drivers use the outside lane to overtake, then immediately pull over to the inside lane, as matter of course, 100% of the time.

In the UK it's the opposite. It can only be for one of two reasons:
a) control freaks disapproving of others overtaking; or
b) drivers who are totally unaware of other road users and the Highway Code -

"Rule 264
You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Had a trip to Faversham with Mrs V for a couple of days in the summer holidays. It was incredible coming back on the motorways, at certain points the overhead gantrys showed reducing speed limits that were generally ignored and then "Congestion ahead, stay in lane " which immediately triggered massive amounts of lane changing in case someone got held up by a couple of minutes. As we neared the M25/M23 turn off there was warnings of congestion and queues and amazingly drivers were pulling out of the queue on the slip road and roaring a couple of hundred yards ahead and tying to cut in again ! If there is anyone actually watching on those cameras please start fining these idiots or it will only get worse.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

I think it's a deliberate manipulation of the speed limit to ease congestion. It's been used on busy stretches of motorway for a few years now. Search "smart motorways" and "variable speed limits" if you can be bothered. You may know of it already so I might just be preaching to the choir here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it's a deliberate manipulation of the speed limit to ease congestion. It's been used on busy stretches of motorway for a few years now. Search "smart motorways" and "variable speed limits" if you can be bothered. You may know of it already so I might just be preaching to the choir here.

Sure. But the folk in the control room regularly forget the setting (having coffee and a natter?). I went 10 miles round the 25 at 40 a while back as cars whizzed past, and the reset to national speed limit never came on. But if I do nd up with points and a ban...my own fault. As Lady Bracknedd almost said, to gain 3 points is unfortunate; to gain 9 looks like carlesness.

ps @knocky 1 - apologies for the carless typing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Had a trip to Faversham with Mrs V for a couple of days in the summer holidays. It was incredible coming back on the motorways, at certain points the overhead gantrys showed reducing speed limits that were generally ignored and then "Congestion ahead, stay in lane " which immediately triggered massive amounts of lane changing in case someone got held up by a couple of minutes. As we neared the M25/M23 turn off there was warnings of congestion and queues and amazingly drivers were pulling out of the queue on the slip road and roaring a couple of hundred yards ahead and tying to cut in again ! If there is anyone actually watching on those cameras please start fining these idiots or it will only get worse.

Not seen the slip road coyboys in my countless trips from home in Fav, but there is a culture up from here and round the 25 for disregarding speed and lane signs on the grounds they are bogus. The number of times I have seen lane closure warnings on the gantry that don't manifest as a lane closure is indicative of system failure. This is a version of the boy who cried wolf, except it is the bloody road safety managers who are crying wolf, and then randomly becoming the wolf themselves when they fire off the flasher when a mug like me fails to take note of the ludicrous and needless sudden 40 limit. I may be mixing my metaphors up a bit here....

Yes, I am bitter. :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
UK v France.

Hmmmm - Both have a similar sized population.
France is 2.5 times bigger.

Just putting it out there...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here