Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jacob Rees Mogg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
JRM said today he found the growth in the use of food bank as 'rather uplifting'.

He is so proud that he composed this little ditty

What fabulous things are the food banks
I think we need rather more
So let's give the nation's heartfelt thanks
To those who are feeding the poor

Who needs to pop into Harrods
With these things right by your door
With free rich tea bikkies and carrots
How heavenly it is be poor

It makes me so proud to be Tory
To see these rolled out by the score
It's such a successful story
That they're queueing up to be poor

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Misrepresentation *alert*
Good try but you'll only convince JRM haters or those that fail to find out facts for themselves. However, give it your best shot. Have another go.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Surley this is fake news no one could possibly be that crass
I am pretty sure I heard his melliflous tones say these very words on LBC this morning. He had a soft ride with Nick La Ferrari. James O'Brien would have been outraged and the interview would have been much more entertaining.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I've only read the OP, but I've instantly assumed that you are a Labour voter and that this bloke didn't actually say/imply what you have posted at all, and that you've twisted/bent what was really said to fit an agenda.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've only read the OP, but I've instantly assumed that you are a Labour voter and that this bloke didn't actually say/imply what you have posted at all, and that you've twisted/bent what was really said to fit an agenda.

Well perhaps you should get your head out of your arse then.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I can only repeat what I've written previously about the bloke. I don't much mind that he's so posh that he has his own butler, there are (or were recently) Labour MPs who had them but it does mean that he lives in a very isolated little bubble and has no concept of what life is like for ordinary people. If he had any sense he'd not say anything about food banks because quite frankly he has nothing to contribute to the debate. He has no experience of them, he doesn't know anyone with any experience of them. You might as well ask Prince George for his thoughts on the matter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

And to have charitable support given by people voluntarily to support their fellow citizens, I think is rather uplifting and shows what a good, compassionate country we are.

personally i thought the other part about them only being in use because Labour didnt tell anyone about them to be the crass, silly politicking in an area he should stay well clear of.

though they have been around for decades in various guises, when we were on income support decades ago there were food handouts by the DSS.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
personally i thought the other part about them only being in use because Labour didnt tell anyone about them to be the crass, silly politicking in an area he should stay well clear of.

though they have been around for decades in various guises, when we were on income support decades ago there were food handouts by the DSS.

Soup kitchens when was younger. Whatever Government we have always had these

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Misrepresentation *alert*
Good try but you'll only convince JRM haters or those that fail to find out facts for themselves. However, give it your best shot. Have another go.

What did he mean today, then? This allegorical ditty from the twitty, got to the nitty, gritty of this pity. You think it's sh**ty.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He said that the charitable spirit of food banks is 'rather uplifting'.

It is.

OP it almost sounds like you would have people believe that JRM was saying that people needing foodbanks is 'rather uplifting'.

The difference between those two sentiments is night and day, and this is why I really really dislike todays liberals. Because you are more than happy to twist a persons words in order to besmirch their character. You feel no shame in pretending that a decent person, whose politics you disagree with, is infact a bad person.

So ugly.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Another week, another incredulous Rees-Mogg comment that's grabbed the headlines. He's on full manoeuvres now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

It is.

OP it almost sounds like you would have people believe that JRM was saying that people needing foodbanks is 'rather uplifting'.

The difference between those two sentiments is night and day, and this is why I really really dislike todays liberals. Because you are more than happy to twist a persons words in order to besmirch their character. You feel no shame in pretending that a decent person, whose politics you disagree with, is infact a bad person.

So ugly.

I agree that his words are being twisted horribly here. And I'd add that we both know I'm no leftie but this is a man with allegedly the largest privately owned house in the country. Any comments from him about food banks are going to upset people and I think rightly so.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

It is.

So ugly.

I don't agree but fair play for getting besmirch in there. Not sure Mogg's Dickensian character could be besmirched.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Read the link in post 4 - you will be enlightened and hopefully embarrassed (assuming you are a Tory voter)!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

It is.

So ugly.

Ugly - ugly is the fact that people still need to rely on foodbanks in this country in 2017 - not a third world country - the UK. Nothing short of disgraceful really - oh, sorry no it's uplifting that charities are stepping in and filling the void left by government over the years!

This is dodgy Dave's Big Society in full swing... Absolve governments of all blame, as a charity will step up and do their work for them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't agree but fair play for getting besmirch in there. Not sure Mogg's Dickensian character could be besmirched.

Dickens was a bit obvious when giving his characters names: M'choakumchild was a disciplinarian teacher, Gradgrind a strict utilitarian. I reckon if he'd featured JRM in his novels he would have been something like Jacob Noblesse-Oblige or Rt Hon Sir Jacobius Silvaspoon of Inismouth-Bourne (bt).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here