Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Redundancy question

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sorry, not football related but what with all the expertise on NSC....

Going to a role "at risk" meeting today., at work.
the
I started on Bank (zero hours) then part time then full-time since 2010.

My current contract start date states "Date of continuous service" as 2006.

I was just looking at the Gov Redundancy Calculator as I'll only get statutory redundancy.

Does anyone know whether "years of service" is calculated from this continuous service date or will they look at dates when part time, full time and then it's only proportional?

Also, does the company have to tell me the redundancy figure in advance, as there may be other options as well as redundancy?

cheers for any help, stressful times.

UTA!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sorry to say that 'at risk' is just code for 'you are gone'.

Been there myself, things were rocky for a while and like for most people it eventually worked out well in the end.

Not sure about your dates though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Been there myself, things were rocky for a while and like for most people it eventually worked out well in the end.

Not sure about your dates though.

Not always at risk is "gone" I have been at risk a few times... and only on one occasion was i made redundant, the other it seemed like a bit of a witch hunt to get rid of a few unsavoury employees...

With regard to the dates, I am pretty sure the date of continuos service is the one you calcualte from... don't hold me to it though

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not always at risk is "gone" I have been at risk a few times... and only on one occasion was i made redundant, the other it seemed like a bit of a witch hunt to get rid of a few unsavoury employees...

With regard to the dates, I am pretty sure the date of continuos service is the one you calcualte from... don't hold me to it though
OK, it must depend on the company.

Where I was, all of the 'at risk' were booted out. It was just going through the legal process, there was no actual chance of the 'risk' being less than 100%.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
When I was made redundant a few years back, other options were given in terms of vacant roles within the company I wasn't qualified for. If the worse does come to the worse, you will have to see an employment lawyer, paid for by your firm, who will take you through it all and answer all your questions. Best of luck.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Redundancy pay is calculated from when your employment started, regardless of how many hours you worked or were contracted to. However, as redundancy pay is based on your weekly earnings, they may be able to use your average weekly pay to calculate the amount on a year by year basis.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Redundancy pay is calculated from when your employment started, regardless of how many hours you worked or were contracted to. However, as redundancy pay is based on your weekly earnings, they may be able to use your average weekly pay to calculate the amount on a year by year basis.

This, also age is a factor, i.e. if you are over 45?

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Good luck with meeting.

Only general advice as don't know your circumstances exactly.

You should get chance to suggest alternatives to redundancy but there may not be any.

SRP is calculated on continuous service and based on your pay at date of redundancy. It does not matter if you were employed part time etc in the past so long as your actual employment was continuous. There is a cap of £489 per week in the calculation and 20 years service (latter is irrelevant in your case.) They should tell you the figure in advance. You may also want to ask about notice pay because they have to give you the statutory notice which is one week for every complete year of service in your case. They could offer to pay you in lieu of the notice which could be a nice addition and might be tax free depending on your contract of employment.

Just in case you worry about forum advice, I am a retired Human Resources Manager. If you want to talk more please PM me.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

the

I was just looking at the Gov Redundancy Calculator as I'll only get statutory redundancy.

Does anyone know whether "years of service" is calculated from this continuous service date or will they look at dates when part time, full time and then it's only proportional?

Also, does the company have to tell me the redundancy figure in advance, as there may be other options as well as redundancy?

UTA!

I would expect the continuous service figure to be adhered to, and a simple calculation based on that. And yes, the HR rep should have the calculation ready for this meeting, even if it is only one of many options. If they don't have it then just ask. ACAS is your friend if any issues or questions at all.

Best of luck

PS I am no expert.though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm pretty sure the redundancy payment is based on the current (weekly) pay, not historic. you may have changed role/pay several times, but the redundancy is in relation to the current position.

and "at risk" certainly doesnt mean "bye", very much depends on how many they are culling, what the roles are and where you fit. and how good a practice they are following. I've known one case were those at risk all kept their jobs in the end. ask about training and transfer to other roles (they are obliged to consider anyone up for redundancy for other open positions if suitable)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When I was made redundant a few years back, other options were given in terms of vacant roles within the company I wasn't qualified for. If the worse does come to the worse, you will have to see an employment lawyer, paid for by your firm, who will take you through it all and answer all your questions. Best of luck.

Indeed - every time I've been caught up in a redundancy process it's been nothing but a tick box exercise. That why they just show you a list of vacancies regardless of your ability to actually fill them !

On the lawyer front, they don't have to pay for one in a straight forward redundancy - if it turns into a Compromise Agreement they do have to pay up to £350. Last time I used my lawyer my costs were £800 so the payment didn't cover my costs BUT she did get me three months tax free money instead of one month taxed !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Indeed - every time I've been caught up in a redundancy process it's been nothing but a tick box exercise. That why they just show you a list of vacancies regardless of your ability to actually fill them !

On the lawyer front, they don't have to pay for one in a straight forward redundancy - if it turns into a Compromise Agreement they do have to pay up to £350. Last time I used my lawyer my costs were £800 so the payment didn't cover my costs BUT she did get me three months tax free money instead of one month taxed !

It must have been just company policy then, but my firm paid for a lawyer and fees of up to £500 on redundancies. My lawyer charged a standard fee of £150 for a redundancy and I delighted in instructing him to charge them the full £500, which he did and they paid! :lolol:

graysgull

Aug 23, 2003
Check out the gov.uk website, as there is a section dedicated to redundancy. It was helpful when my wife's company went bust. W

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011

the

UTA!

Got made redundant a few years back, but my luckily, my redundancy terms were written into my contract and were better than the minimum so sorry I can't help with your specific question but you should get an interview where you are able to ask any and all questions as part of the process.

All I wanted to say is that it is a stressfull time, so stay strong and if the worst comes to the worst you will get through it and come out the other side.

Fingers croseed for you.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You don't make any mention of a company redundancy scheme that could result in a better deal than standard terms. You need to look at your contract of employment and/or terms and conditions of service applying when you signed it. Good luck.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Not necessarily. The first time I was told I was "at risk" nothing was ever mentioned again. I have also, though, been told I was at risk and took voluntary redundancy as I thought I was probably toast.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good luck,been there three times,never pleasant.The good people at ACAS gave me excellent,free advice so worth looking on t'Internet.They knew the process from top to bottom,and offered intervention,if needed.Hope that's still on the go.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here