Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Vitamins

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
To cut a long story short, I had a spell on anti depressants recently (Sertraline over the last 2 years) for mild anxiety etc., but carefully weaned myself off about 5 months ago.
However the odd symptom or two is returning, and whilst I will be going to see the docs next week for advice anyway, it's been suggested to me to consider using St John's Wort and/or Omega 3 supplements as an alternative to Sertraline.

Anyone have any experience with these or are they merely placebos?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
To cut a long story short, I had a spell on anti depressants recently (Sertraline over the last 2 years) for mild anxiety etc., but carefully weaned myself off about 5 months ago.
However the odd symptom or two is returning, and whilst I will be going to see the docs next week for advice anyway, it's been suggested to me to consider using St John's Wort and/or Omega 3 supplements as an alternative to Sertraline.

Best advise is dont take too much advise other than from you quack not least from me :)

however IMO

If you are getting symptons back you probably shouldnt have weened yourself off sertraline without a plan B. St Johns Wort in my understanding can work for mild anxiety and depression, whether or not that is placebo I really dont know, see you doc as you aare planning to mate

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I have suffered with anxiety for the past 15 years. Some years have been worse than others. I always tried to avoid taking medication as it is my belief that they are only masking the symptoms. I have always applied CBT methods to help me.

My anxiety has improved so much this year. I am pretty much able to live my life as I did before the anxiety started. The reason I believe this has happened is because I am leading a much healthier life now. I run 10K every morning. I started in January and I have lost 3.5 stone in weight. My anxiety level has dropped by around 90%.

I had read that people thought exercise was good for your mental well being, so I gave it ago. I will not stop exercising now.

Good luck with the anxiety. PM me if you want any other advise, as I lived with anxiety every day for around 15 years.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I would say never self medicate for depression/anxiety, always check with doc first. One side affect with St. Johns Wort it is makes you very susceptible to sun burn, although with all the recent rain maybe not much of a problem at the mo.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Cheers all for your comments. I'm definitely going to docs anyway, and I 'think' I have a reasonable control over it all anyway, but useful to get your views.

Much obliged!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have suffered with anxiety for the past 15 years. Some years have been worse than others. I always tried to avoid taking medication as it is my belief that they are only masking the symptoms. I have always applied CBT methods to help me.

My anxiety has improved so much this year. I am pretty much able to live my life as I did before the anxiety started. The reason I believe this has happened is because I am leading a much healthier life now. I run 10K every morning. I started in January and I have lost 3.5 stone in weight. My anxiety level has dropped by around 90%.

I had read that people thought exercise was good for your mental well being, so I gave it ago. I will not stop exercising now.

Good luck with the anxiety. PM me if you want any other advise, as I lived with anxiety every day for around 15 years.
All of this.. Superb post

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here