Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs Crystal Palace futures.

larus

I was thinking about out history for the last 20 years and our position relative to Palace. I think all sensible posters would admit that we've been the poor relation for a long time now, even before Hereford.

So, is this the moment that we will look back on and say, "Our first season in the Premier League was when the roles changed"?

I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion we'll stay up. As we're aware, events can derail plans, but there appears so much more to be optimistic about being a Brighton fan now and for the future than being Palace.

Such as:
I. Chairman who's first and foremost a fan and on evidence so far, is not out to make money from his investment. No dodgy foreign investors who want to interfere and/or make a tidy profit.
2. New, classy stadium.
3. New, state-of-the-art training facility.
4. A group of managers/directors who seem to be on the same page.
5. Plans to develop our own players - yes, it will take time and the majority won't make it, but that's football.
6. Not willing to risk the club on marquee signings just to satisfy some of the critics.

Compare this to Palace. They need to survive as their wages bill is so high. The stadium is, well, more like start-of-the-ark. Parish I think has done on OK job, but he's made a mistake with the yanks and relegation would hurt them bad.

It's not unreasonable to imagine a Palace relegation and us surviving and then building on that for next season. We won't be the new boys, so players may be more willing to risk signing if they feel we have a better chance of survival.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If they drop a division what will they have to show for it?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Football goes in circles, I always knew when they beat us that fateful night that it wouldn't be long before the tables turned again

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

larus

Please can we stop banging on about Lancing until it produces something?

I think most people realise that a development squad/academy takes time. And, being honest, as we're in the Premier League now, this will make it harder to develop home-grown players due to the level they will need to get to to be selected. So no, I won't stop as I think it's a huge plus for the club.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What's palaces training facilities like? Aren't they a tier one academy as well?

Do you want me to post the picture again...? :)

Oh, go on then....

(You can even seen the 'clown car' that is provided for the Manager. 4 years old - 7 useless owners).
5674656.jpg

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Please can we stop banging on about Lancing until it produces something?

Lancing is not just about the Academy. Its the facilities for all of the various teams , its the medical facilities, and it has produced players that have been sold to other clubs. The fact that we have a facility that rivals the best in Europe will also help to bring players here. Take our neighbours up the road who used to use a local "Goals" facility. Not exactly inspiring

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
There's no comparison now you're a established premier league club .

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's no comparison now you're a established premier league club .

I can't help but giggle at the phrase "established" that Palace fans like to quote when referring to their club. You're far from that seeing as you've been fire-fighting for the last few years and even after having half a billion quid to play with, here you are 5 years on and your ambition is to stay up and finish above little old Brighton.

I dare say you will finish above us but the fact it's even debatable and the bookies have you as relegation favourites rather than us is a damning indictment.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was thinking about out history for the last 20 years and our position relative to Palace. I think all sensible posters would admit that we've been the poor relation for a long time now, even before Hereford.

So, is this the moment that we will look back on and say, "Our first season in the Premier League was when the roles changed"?

I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion we'll stay up. As we're aware, events can derail plans, but there appears so much more to be optimistic about being a Brighton fan now and for the future than being Palace.

Such as:
I. Chairman who's first and foremost a fan and on evidence so far, is not out to make money from his investment. No dodgy foreign investors who want to interfere and/or make a tidy profit.
2. New, classy stadium.
3. New, state-of-the-art training facility.
4. A group of managers/directors who seem to be on the same page.
5. Plans to develop our own players - yes, it will take time and the majority won't make it, but that's football.
6. Not willing to risk the club on marquee signings just to satisfy some of the critics.

Compare this to Palace. They need to survive as their wages bill is so high. The stadium is, well, more like start-of-the-ark. Parish I think has done on OK job, but he's made a mistake with the yanks and relegation would hurt them bad.

It's not unreasonable to imagine a Palace relegation and us surviving and then building on that for next season. We won't be the new boys, so players may be more willing to risk signing if they feel we have a better chance of survival.

All the things that you have pointed out as we all know can change very quickly for various reasons, god forbid Lord Bloom became ill or disinterested in the club... what then...

What if Roy is the man to push Palarse forward, what if the Americans decide to heavily invest in the ground and squad....

All ifs and buts....

I love to hate Palace with a passion, however I'm not kidding myself into thinking we can permanently overtake them, come on in our entire history we have probably only been in a higher division a handful of times. As much as it pains me to say I'd also rather talk to one of their fans over a pint than a cockney red or a stuck up Arsenal fan.

Having said that though I'd piss in his pint when he nips the loo, and no doubt he'd do the same to me...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We had a thread like this when we joined the Championship and finished above Palace both seasons, but then they won the playoffs. Bit early for out PL equivalent.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We had a thread like this when we joined the Championship and finished above Palace both seasons, but then they won the playoffs. Bit early for out PL equivalent.

Very much this. For the reasons set out by the OP we certainly have grounds for long term optimism. However, even with everything that we have going for us I reckon most neutrals would look at our respective squads and say that Palace, right now, have the stronger lineup and the better chance of staying up this season. I don't view this battle as being anything like resolved this year. Tony has been putting down a solid infrastructure that should see us secure for years to come, even if we should drop back down to the EFL this season. How would Palace deal with such a situation and do they have a system in place to mitigate against possible relegation? The sheer level of panic in their sacking of De Boer suggests not.

I like to think that we will have the whip hand over them for some years to come and hopefully in the not too distant future. However, I'm not so sure that we are there yet. One win and we've all come over a bit Billy Big Bollocks but we shall just have to wait and see.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here