Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting article on the size of cities in the GB. Brighton considered large!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's not a port mainly because it's not on a coastal join of river and sea. That's not a waste - that's a geographical feature. Only Dover and Folkestone buck that status, and that's because of their proximity to France. Excavating a new port entrance in the city when there's one seven miles to the west (where the port actually finishes within the city boundaries), and another nine miles the the east is the thing that would be considered a waste.

I would like to see details on how much excavation would be needed rather than just develop the marina, and as you said Dover and Folkestone have bucked the trend and Folkstone to Boulogne i believe is further than Newhaven(From memory).

Put simply, we have had a major recession and austerity over the past decade, and the nature of commerce within the city has meant it has survived far better than other cities have. This isn't a city purely driven by tourism; it plays hosts to other strands of industry and commerce as well.

Those other strands being Virgin as the biggest employer? If you look at wages of those who work in Brighton compare to those who live in Brighton but work outside it the problem is quite clear that Brighton needs an extra string to its bow.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Interesting....

Here you go:

Megacity: London
Second cities: Birmingham, Manchester
Major cities: Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield
Large cities: Belfast, Bristol, Nottingham, Southampton/Portsmouth, Leicester, etc.
The latter category is incomplete: other cities, like Cardiff, Edinburgh, Middlesbrough, even Brighton or Bournemouth, probably have a claim to be in there, too. Britain only has one city whose population even gets close to 10m, but a couple of handfuls of them are bobbing around the 500,000 mark.

But the point, in the end, is clear. No way in hell is Sheffield Britain's third city.

Middlesbrough isn't a city, and Bournemouth failed in its bid for city status in 2102.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Interesting....

Here you go:

Megacity: London
Second cities: Birmingham, Manchester
Major cities: Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield
Large cities: Belfast, Bristol, Nottingham, Southampton/Portsmouth, Leicester, etc.
The latter category is incomplete: other cities, like Cardiff, Edinburgh, Middlesbrough, even Brighton or Bournemouth, probably have a claim to be in there, too. Britain only has one city whose population even gets close to 10m, but a couple of handfuls of them are bobbing around the 500,000 mark.

But the point, in the end, is clear. No way in hell is Sheffield Britain's third city.

cant believe Edinburgh is lumped in with Brighton, Bournemouth and wait for it Middlesborough

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I think effectively Newhaven to Worthing are essentially one place. Certainly if you drove along the seafront without knowing the area would you think you had entered and left 8 separate places? Newhaven, Peacehaven, Saltdean,Brighton, Hove, Portslade, Shoreham, Lancing and Worthing? (I've left Fishersgate and Southwick out)

It is not at all though. I live in Worthing and see Brighton as a different town and in a different county

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here