Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky to show every midweek Championship match live from next season

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Start of the five-year contract will begin next season and viewers will be able to pick which game to watch on the interactive service

The English Football League and Sky have agreed a new £600m deal to show any midweek Championship game live on television.

Details of the revolutionary five-year contract between 2019-2024 – communicated to the 72 member clubs last night – are to be announced today.

Source: out there in media land :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The first step towards all games being televised, but at this stage good news if work stops anyone from attending away midweek games

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can see a future not very far away where every game, at least from the top two divisions can be accessed live by anyone on any device on a subscription basis.

Maybe there will be no more Saturday 3pm kick offs in the PL/Championship to 'protect' the lower leagues incomes.

As for any falling attendances in the top two flights, that could be minimised by vastly lowering admission costs and clubs thinking of other revenue raising activities.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Maybe there will be no more Saturday 3pm kick offs in the PL/Championship to 'protect' the lower leagues incomes.

Sky and the PL have shown scant regard for lower league football. Throw them a few scraps and keep quiet. It's a pity some legislation can't be introduced to ensure they get a bit more of a cut

I agree that there will come a time when all Prem and Champ games will be shown live and I think the lower leagues will likely regionalise

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The whationship?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The whationship?

It's a competition where BIG – some would say MASSIVE – clubs fight it out to get to the Promised Land. Only I've just had a look and the likes of Villa, Birmingham and Norwich don't seem to be doing that well.

In all seriousness, I was a bit shocked to see them all down there Birmingham FOUR points from six games? Harry soon OUT?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I can see a future not very far away where every game, at least from the top two divisions can be accessed live by anyone on any device on a subscription basis.

As for any falling attendances in the top two flights, that could be minimised by vastly lowering admission costs and clubs thinking of other revenue raising activities.

Exactly this, televise all games especially in the prem but lower ticket prices to 20s plenty to keep the attendances up.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It's a competition where BIG – some would say MASSIVE – clubs fight it out to get to the Promised Land. Only I've just had a look and the likes of Villa, Birmingham and Norwich don't seem to be doing that well.

In all seriousness, I was a bit shocked to see them all down there Birmingham FOUR points from six games? Harry soon OUT?

FOUR from seven now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here