Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football 365 article ...pretty fair IMHO

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I thought that was pretty fair. A bit harsh on Duffy, who I think is very capable at this level. Re Stephens, IMO he only looked exposed when a ball is passed backwards to him deep in our half. On Saturday that resulted in a bit of panic, maybe he's aware he has much less time and space now. And maybe it's a case of working out how to play with Propper.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think that underestimates most players and definitely the club as a whole prospect. No consideration of the certainty that we will strengthen in January and no mention of Propper's stellar international showing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Very good article, except to say there was no mention of Propper's quality performance on Saturday.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I thought we looked the best team from 25min in, not just second half.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Pretty fair article. But the thing you have to remember is that other teams in the bottom half have their fare share of players not up to "premier league " quality as well! So I think we stack up fairly well in comparison. If we take that belief forward we will survive and can build for the future! Remember we were pretty solid against Man city compared to say Liverpool so there are reasons to be optimistic and hopeful! Certainly on Saturday West Brom didn't look much either!

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Wrong about Duffy, he was just as good as Dunk on Saturday, just in different ways.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Football 365 articel....pretty fair IMHO

It's a well reasoned article in places but too negative. Rehashes the old Hughton being too cautious cliche and makes out WBA were on top in the first half, which is simply not true. They barely threatened. Wrong to call March's cross hopeful. It was a decent ball to a dangerous area. Insulting to Duffy, underestimates Propper. Follows the general patronising tone of national comment that has us currently as second relegation favourites despite finishing streets ahead of Huddersfield last season and comfortably matching Newcastle - who have barely strengthened at all. And that's not even starting on the circus at Selhurst, the shambles at West Ham, the increasing questions over Eddie Howe's poor signings and a Swansea side who have gambled with their replacements for the 2 players that kept them up last season.

Garth Crooks produced an article that was even worse - basically saying we only won because WBA couldn't be arsed and we're just not up to it.

Mind you, no-one's better qualified than Crooks to understand what it takes to survive without having any discernible talent. So maybe we should be worried.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The author, Peter Goldstein, regularly spends his time trawling the Internet (as he confessed in a very good article taking apart the relegation candidates last year). Given the views of players, Duffy aside, mirror a lot of what's been said on here my money is on him lurking on this thread.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mostly a good, balanced assessment of the squad. I think he's wrong on Propper. He was excellent on Saturday and won't be going anywhere with Kayal & Sidwell injured. A wee bit harsh on Duffy too. If you play hoof ball Duffy will dominate you all game long and he was ideal for the West Brom match. He may come a cropper against Man U or Chelsea but you'd want him all day long against Burnley, Stoke, WBA and a Palace side who'll only have Benteke as a forward option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Mind you, no-one's better qualified than Crooks to understand what it takes to survive without having any discernible talent. So maybe we should be worried.

Spot on. This should be made available for posting in response to every one of Garthy's reports on our games.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

That's when the north stand started chanting Score in a minute, we're gonna score in a minute. It was obvious we were getting the upper hand. Barry's shot was the only danger point, which produced a great save from Ryan.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fair-ish but underestimates our dominance against Pulis's WBA and the abundant skills of Bruno and Propper plus the potential of our young centre back pairing. I'd also suggest that the author look with his own eyes at what Hughton does NOW rather than what Norwich fans tell you he did when he managed them.

6/10

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed, but I don't think the article said otherwise - although we were the best side in the first half, we didn't create a good chance until the goal (with Duffy's effort being well offside).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here