Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's THAT day again .... 9/11

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
A date that will be forever remembered. A truly horrific day, and a truly horrific atrocity.

Not a thread to debate the rights and wrongs of what has happened since, and no conspiracy nonsense. Just a thread for quiet reflection, memories of the day, of Robert Eaton, and all that has been achieved in his name since.

Having been to the site a couple of times since, it's truly and deeply moving. The memorial is beautifully done, and the museum takes your breath away.

RIP one and all.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well said

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
It was a day in which I had no idea if my sister in law (who works for United and was over in NY on a stop-over) was involved or not. Luckily, her uncle called me to say she was ok, big big relief.

But it was one of the moments in history that can never and should never be forgotten. I visited the following February, and there were still 'missing' boards up - made it very real.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had arrived in NY on the Sunday before for a two week work visit and was due to be in 7WTC (the third tower to fall) later in the afternoon on 9/11 as our US team were based there (and several watched the second plane hit as they were looking at the first tower burning). Can remember the events of the day (and the subsequent week) like it was yesterday.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
On THAT 11 Sept I'd watched the 2nd plane crash into the WTC live on the news and then got a cab to Heathrow to go on honeymoon with the Mrs. To say the atmosphere at Heathrow was on edge is a major under exaggeration! Last flight I had with metal cutlery. The plane was 3/4 empty as loads of people just didn't turn up.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
One of my favourite days ever.

Today is my sons birthday & i love him like i never thought would be possible

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
One of my favourite days ever.

Today is my sons birthday & i love him like i never thought would be possible

My daughter was born seven days later. We should get them together and have an Albion arranged wedding. :wink:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
To my shame and embarrassment, when someone came into a meeting I was in and said a plane had crashed into the Twin Towers, I thought .... Wembley. Then we basically abandoned the meeting, headed downstairs to where a crowd of people were around a telly watching the rolling news, when suddenly the second plane came in. Just an unbelievable day.

Never quite known a mood like the Southampton game that night. It just felt wrong to sing, or cheer, it was just unreal.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I had no idea about what had happened until i met my wife at Croydon station on the way to the match as I'd been on a course that day. The disaster in NYC - coupled with the fact that my Dad had died at August Bank Holiday weekend made for a rather sombre time all round.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[tweet]907230262895017985[/tweet]

I was in NYC almost a year ago, and paid a very emotional visit to the memorial. Never knew the fella, but he was one of our own. Gone but never forgotten.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I remember getting home from school and watching the rolling news on the TV. I remember my Mum also not wanting me to go to the football that night as well just in case something happened at Withdean. The game itself was one of the weirdest I have ever been to.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was in New York a few weeks ago, we went to Ground Zero which is quite a spectacular and quite poignant. The names of the dead are engraved on plaques around the waterfalls. I wanted to find Robert Eaton's name, but as they didn't seem to be in any sort of order, let alone alphabetical, I didn't think I stood a chance. However after looking for no more than a couple of minutes I managed to find it. Quite a moving experience.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was in New York a few weeks ago, we went to Ground Zero which is quite a spectacular and quite poignant. The names of the dead are engraved on plaques around the waterfalls. I wanted to find Robert Eaton's name, but as they didn't seem to be in any sort of order, let alone alphabetical, I didn't think I stood a chance. However after looking for no more than a couple of minutes I managed to find it. Quite a moving experience.

The individual panels containing the names are all numbered. You can look it up online to find out which panel carries the name you are looking for. I did this beforehand and found Roberts name straight away.

I ended up walking round both of the tower pools twice anyway though, just taking in those names.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The individual panels containing the names are all numbered. You can look it up online to find out which panel carries the name you are looking for. I did this beforehand and found Roberts name straight away.

I ended up walking round both of the tower pools twice anyway though, just taking in those names.

Ah, I didn't think to check online first. TBH we hadn't really planned to go there, but we were in the area and it was only a small detour. Didn't go in the museum though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I spent forever looking for his engraving and then realised I was looking at the wrong square memorial. Found him in the end at the other one. Strange and as you say ... moving experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here