Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zanzibar

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
Seeking the wisdom of NSC - anyone been to Zanzibar and, if so, any left field (or centre field) recommendations?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Can't help you. But did you know Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar ?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Went over there for a week in July on the way back from South Africa. We stayed at the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort which was all very good. It was on the north west side of the island and we were advised not to stay on the east side as the sea is lot rougher due to the wind on that side. We were all inclusive but the food wasn't great (buffet style). The island is like most of Africa, out side the resorts is very poor and basic. The people are lovely, especially in the resorts.
Spence is right, Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar and lived there for 8 years. You can go and see the outside of his little hous in Stone Town (you can't go in) but we didn't bother as some people we met had been and taken a photo of it which was good enough.
To be honest, if you are looking for a drop and flop then Zanzibar is fine, if you want to see sights and tour around I wouldn't say it would be particularly good!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Baraza was very good about 4 years ago. All inclusive, as there are no towns or shops close by, but the food was excellent. Stone Town is definitely worth a visit preferably with a private guide..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went there for my honeymoon, but that was 15 years ago now and I can remember little of where we stayed now I'm afraid.

Agree on Stone Town though - a fascinating place and a real eye opener in some respects.

I did take a load of stationery for to hand out to local kids and was treated like some sort of pasty white non-bearded Father Christmas as a result.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Went there for my honeymoon, but that was 15 years ago now

Same here in 2004, via Kilimanjaro and safari.

Highly recommend Emmerson and green hotel - small, boutique style, bang central in Stone Town, great views etc etc

http://www.emersonspice.com/rooms/

It's had a bit of a name change since we were there, and got a 'sister' hotel which is just as good apparently.

This helps explain it, a bit:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g482884-i9487-k7101767-Emerson_Green_and_Emerson_Spice_in_Stone_Town_ZNZ-Zanzibar_Island_Zanzibar_Archipelago.html

Second week of stay, we were at an AI on other side of island, which was very average in comparison, not helped by a Palace fan pleading poverty and help ('sake, really, halfway around the world, and the scum are still lurking about..:annoyed:)

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I spent 10 days there 2 years ago. Ended up there totally unplanned in fact, so found ourselves looking for resorts having done no planning. I'd like to think if I'd had time to look into it there are better resorts than the ones we went to. We stayed briefly near Matemwe, an area which looked promising. Also went to Nungwi which was OK but I wouldn't go back. Bear in mind that due to the flatness of the beaches, the tide has a drastic effect - in some spots the beach disappears at high tide completely, and has over a mile of exposed sand at low (which can be nice for walks).

Stonetown was the highlight - we had a few days there while waiting to fly back to the UK. 2 days is enough there, but it's great. You can easily walk around most of it on foot, and it's all very safe, even at night. Really like stepping back in time, and amazing old buildings.

An amusing thing was that the very friendly locals, who all love premier league football, upon finding out you are English immediately ask what team you support... "Brighton" I'd reply. "Ah yes, Bolton"..... they'd all say. Literally happened dozens of times. They were quite knowledgeable on it, so it might be different now!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Worth going just for Zanzibar international airport alone.

Security asked me if I would buy them an ice cream from the kiosk just outside the security check area as my bags started to go through the machine ( It was VERY hot that day) and I did feel it would be politic to do so as I didn't want my bags emptied as I felt they would have been if I'd said no! So I duly went and bought three ice creams for the three security workers. Now how many places would that happen in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here