Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small but significant error in yesterday's programme

On page 23 it states that the WBA ground, The Hawthorns, is 551 metres above sea level - 1807.74' in old money - which is considerably higher than the highest spot on the South Downs which is Butser Hill at 919'. What they of course meant to put was that The Hawthorns is actually 551' above sea level.

I am sure you are all glad that I cleared that up, possibly.

Still wondering when Match of the Day is going to appear on iPlayer.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think you should write to Paul Barber about this. Thin end of the rub, before you know it they willl start changing other stats and then where will we be.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
This just sums up everything wrong about the Albion right now.

First you've got Paul Barber's ameteur proof reading, and now you've got the programme man getting his facts disgustingly wrong for millions of readers to see.

Sack the board!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This just sums up everything wrong about the Albion right now.

First you've got Paul Barber's ameteur proof reading, and now you've got the programme man getting his facts disgustingly wrong for millions of readers to see.

Sack the board!

did you spell check before posting?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
On page 23 it states that the WBA ground, The Hawthorns, is 551 metres above sea level - 1807.74' in old money - which is considerably higher than the highest spot on the South Downs which is Butser Hill at 919'. What they of course meant to put was that The Hawthorns is actually 551' above sea level.

For any younger readers this is 168m

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Can't be all that high above sea level, I've been past it on a Canal Boat. :dunce:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I thought Butser was 889' and Blackdown 919', which is within the South Downs National Park boundary but part of the Greensand Ridge (Weald), not the chalk escarpment of the South Downs.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

I think Black Down is the highest peak, non? It felt like it when I cycled up it.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Considering it's supposed to be the highest, that's not very high?

Watch Kevin Fong on BBC2 now and you'll realize why. (Any higher and the blood oxygen saturation falls below that necessary for a Knocky-style sprint. Not that that would trouble the likes of the WBA players, though :facepalm: )

I thought Butser was 889' and Blackdown 919', which is within the South Downs National Park boundary but part of the Greensand Ridge (Weald), not the chalk escarpment of the South Downs.

Controversial stuff there, material for another thread?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I know it's not a FL club, but Buxton FCs 'The Silverlands' is the highest ground in England at 1,000 feet above sea level. I went there once, on the way back from Huddersfield away a couple of seasons ago, nice part of the world, nice football ground, got myself a couple of nice Buxton FC shirts for my collection.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here