Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog owner help

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hoping for a bit of NSC collective wisdom re. dog feeding.

We have a one year old Labrador and are trying to work out the most cost effective way to feed her in the medium term (obviously while fully meeting her dietary needs). So far she has had some dry food and some tinned meat and doesn't seem too fussy.

Any dog owners out there also counting the pennies and able to give helpful advice? Very grateful for tips.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've always fed every pet I've ever had with dry food. We tend to feed our dogs in the morning and at night, we just went on the vet recommendations for each of the dogs then adjust accordingly if they look like they're losing weight or gaining it. But try some websites that sell it in bulk, They have quite a few websites in the US I am sure they do in the UK too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've got a 12 week old Labrador. If I don't watch him like a hawk when he's awake, he will eat the house. Literally.

On the plus side, he's quite cute and will now give me his paw when I ask.

I'm stunned at the array of food available for them. He's currently on Skinner's puppy food, which is what he was on when we got him, having come from a gun dog breeder.

I have no idea if it's cheap, relatively speaking, although as it's working dog food it's VAT free. It's about £30 for 15 kilos. We supplement it with various raw meats - I basically pick up anything heavily reduced in the supermarket and freeze and defrost as required.

It's quite something to give him a chicken wing (must be raw and not cooked) and the whole thing disappears.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've always fed every pet I've ever had with dry food. We tend to feed our dogs in the morning and at night, we just went on the vet recommendations for each of the dogs then adjust accordingly if they look like they're losing weight or gaining it. But try some websites that sell it in bulk, They have quite a few websites in the US I am sure they do in the UK too.

zooplus.co.uk is a good website for pet food. You get loyalty points, and special offers via email.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The fact you have a lab (we had one many years ago) i think you will find that they are not fussy, so as long as you give it the nutrients it needs it should be OK.
We have a cavapoo 8 months old, its a fussy ******* and goes off its food on a weekly basis and is also eating all sorts of stuff while out giving it digestive problems and vomiting.
We have taken a vets advice ( maybe you should do the same) and she is now on rice and chopped up chicken breast (the cheap frozen* big bag type) with a bit of kibble thrown in.
She likes it (at the moment) and its helps her digestion and poo and gives her all she needs.
* we defrost the chicken first.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Millies wolfheart is free delivery, top quity and great value. Dry food far better for their teeth

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
We have 2 choc labs and feed em just on dry food. one bowl a night

We get those big sacks of biscuit From Aldi or sometimes Tesco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We've got a 12 week old Labrador. If I don't watch him like a hawk when he's awake, he will eat the house. Literally.

On the plus side, he's quite cute and will now give me his paw when I ask.

I'm stunned at the array of food available for them. He's currently on Skinner's puppy food, which is what he was on when we got him, having come from a gun dog breeder.

I have no idea if it's cheap, relatively speaking, although as it's working dog food it's VAT free. It's about £30 for 15 kilos. We supplement it with various raw meats - I basically pick up anything heavily reduced in the supermarket and freeze and defrost as required.

It's quite something to give him a chicken wing (must be raw and not cooked) and the whole thing disappears.
Ah, 12 week old lab is very cute. Good luck with the eating the house thing (are you using a crate?).

Re. feeding it sounds like your boy is on a fairly posh diet at £2 a kilo dry food + fresh meat. Mrs G has just bought home "Wagg" dry food which was £8 for 15kg (this was a special price - normally £11). This seems inexpensive but is it up to the job nutritionally?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We have 2 choc labs and feed em just on dry food. one bowl a night

We get those big sacks of biscuit From Aldi or sometimes Tesco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they called Barber and Bloom ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The fact you have a lab (we had one many years ago) i think you will find that they are not fussy

Word.

At the vet yesterday she gave my pup a few biscuits which he immediately inhaled.

"Most dogs don't eat them as they're used to posh treats at home", she said. "Not labs though - they'll eat anything."

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
My 16 month old lab will eat anything and everything if left alone.
We feed him dry food twice a day in an anti gulp bowl ( which prolonged feeding time by circa 30 seconds)
He's a big old boy, weighing in at 40 KGs. He's not fat, just very big. Im very conscious that labs can potentially have hip problems if they get too heavy and have voiced my concerns to the vet. She reckons he's not overweight, just big built

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
She reckons he's not overweight, just big built
More Kemy than Solly then... our 12 month old is a relatively petite 25kg. I am conscious too about labs and health issues so keen to be sure that the brand of food we settle on is suitable. Which dry food do you go for?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My 16 month old lab will eat anything and everything if left alone.
We feed him dry food twice a day in an anti gulp bowl ( which prolonged feeding time by circa 30 seconds)
He's a big old boy, weighing in at 40 KGs. He's not fat, just very big. Im very conscious that labs can potentially have hip problems if they get too heavy and have voiced my concerns to the vet. She reckons he's not overweight, just big built

That's big!

The one we pet-sat for a few times is 35kg and he's a big boy. He's approaching 2.

Not fat in the slightest though - he's come on longish runs with me over the downs and was as spritely as anything.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Word.

At the vet yesterday she gave my pup a few biscuits which he immediately inhaled.

"Most dogs don't eat them as they're used to posh treats at home", she said. "Not labs though - they'll eat anything."

Our Lab would have eaten one of its own legs if it was hungry enough.
On the plus side he used to bring the mail and newspaper up to the bedroom in the morning. Great dogs.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
zooplus.co.uk is a good website for pet food. You get loyalty points, and special offers via email.

Absolutely THIS !

Zooplus is most reasonable costwise and their service/delivery is beyond comparison ! " Barking Heads " was recommended to me and I have used it for three years or more as it includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin and other beneficial nutrients. Around £38 for 12 KG which is a huge saving on any other source I have seen up till now.

I seriously believe that dry food ( which includes all the necessary dietary requirements, is the best option so long as you make sure that you always leave plenty of FRESH water. I do however add some fresh meat / fish and some green vegetable to make ' dinner time ' more interesting.

'WET' food = WET pooh which is not good for any dog ( nor for you ) as owner ??

Last edited:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
More Kemy than Solly then... our 12 month old is a relatively petite 25kg. I am conscious too about labs and health issues so keen to be sure that the brand of food we settle on is suitable. Which dry food do you go for?
It's mores large puppy food from pets corner. Not cheep but very good for them apparently.
Plus their farts don't smell as much...bonus

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Never wet food.
The smell of dogshit is one of the worse odours imaginable.
I trod in a big wet turd and got into my car and drove off, within seconds it was in the carpet and all over the pedals.
Mrs Chopper had a hell of a job getting it all out, including the tread of my boots.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here