Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v West Brom ....... in China?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It happens in the NFL, MLB are following suit, the NHL has done it and I believe the NBA has too. It's the way of the world as there is just so much money in live sport these days.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I can see the potential for a Manc derby or Chelsea v Liverpool being in demand over there, but BHA v WBA or Stoke v Burnley might be harder to sell.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It happens in the NFL, MLB are following suit, the NHL has done it and I believe the NBA has too. It's the way of the world as there is just so much money in live sport these days.

NFL going abroad always seems PARTICULARLY harsh, as you only get 8 home games during the regular season. Losing one of them to London (or wherever) must be a right shitter for the fans over there.

MLB you get 81 home games a season, so not quite such a biggee. If they ever bring a series over here I'm going to be ALL OVER that like white on rice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
NFL going abroad always seems PARTICULARLY harsh, as you only get 8 home games during the regular season. Losing one of them to London (or wherever) must be a right shitter for the fans over there.

MLB you get 81 home games a season, so not quite such a biggee. If they ever bring a series over here I'm going to be ALL OVER that like white on rice.
It depends on the team for me. If it is two crap outfits, then I won't be going. Unless one of those crap outfits is the Toronto Blue Jays, obviously.

Going back to the football, La Liga going abroad is a laughable idea. There are only 2 clubs that will draw crowds, although arguably Atletico might too. That's what you get for having a crappy league where two clubs operate a self perpetuating duopoly because each club can negotiate it's own TV deal. Barca and RM hoover up 80% of all TV rights in Spain between them. :nono:

Say what you like about our league, but it's a similar standard and far more competitive. Several of our clubs have large followings abroad, not just two so going abroad would be far more feasible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It depends on the team for me. If it is two crap outfits, then I won't be going. Unless one of those crap outfits is the Toronto Blue Jays, obviously.

I think its highly likely it'd be a crap outfit vs one of the "garland" teams, a Yankies or a Red Sox. They'd need at least one big team to sell the series to the punters over here. Which is why I'd be quite hopeful the Twins would fill the crap outfit slot (although they're actually still somehow clinging on to a 2nd wildcard spot this year...)

I'd go whoever it was though. Just love the game as a spectacle, you can't beat seeing it live.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think its highly likely it'd be a crap outfit vs one of the "garland" teams, a Yankies or a Red Sox. They'd need at least one big team to sell the series to the punters over here. Which is why I'd be quite hopeful the Twins would fill the crap outfit slot (although they're actually still somehow clinging on to a 2nd wildcard spot this year...)

I'd go whoever it was though. Just love the game as a spectacle, you can't beat seeing it live.
I disagree actually - the UK is a fertile sports attendance country. We'll watch any old shìt - 55,000 turn up to watch West Ham FFS. And look at the world athletics championships - absolute choc-a-bloc a month ago at the London stadium. So I reckon they could plonk the Marlins v the Brewers at Lords for a 5 game series and the place would be sold out for all 5 games. Even if the game went to 19 innings, there would be a hell of a lot more than the 700 who stuck around until 1:30am to watch the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays this week. (another classic 2017 Blue Jays fck up)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
May have to put up the cost of our coach for this one...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Of all the sh1t ideas I've ever seen, this is the sh1ttest.

It's bad enough that we already have to play in WALES, but at least it's on a home and away basis. Why should any team cede home advantage in what could be a pivotal match? More importantly, why should the fans miss out?

I really don't care for this idea at all. If someone in the Far East would rather watch our clubs than their local one, then that's their problem, not ours.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It's a great idea, and we need this sort of thing to grow our 'brand' outside of SE England.

What's the big deal losing one game a year? There's actually a decent amount of Albion fans spread out over Asia (and the world), and if Albion had a game in this region, I'd sure as hell do my best to get to it!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Would it be potg? How would barber work the away membership thing?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a great idea, and we need this sort of thing to grow our 'brand' outside of SE England.

What's the big deal losing one game a year? There's actually a decent amount of Albion fans spread out over Asia (and the world), and if Albion had a game in this region, I'd sure as hell do my best to get to it!

So go to The Far East and play a series of friendlies after the season has ended...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully they will, but why not do it for something meaningful? What exactly is the issue here?

The issue is that I haven't waited 34 years to get back to the top flight to start giving matches away to Sum Yung Gi.

Oct 25, 2003

Going back to the football, La Liga going abroad is a laughable idea. There are only 2 clubs that will draw crowds, although arguably Atletico might too. That's what you get for having a crappy league where two clubs operate a self perpetuating duopoly because each club can negotiate it's own TV deal. Barca and RM hoover up 80% of all TV rights in Spain between them. :nono:

Say what you like about our league, but it's a similar standard and far more competitive. Several of our clubs have large followings abroad, not just two so going abroad would be far more feasible.

There's no way this kind of fixture wouldn't involve Barca of Real (or possibly both). None of the other teams would draw any sort of crowd but fans would flock to see the big two annihilate whoever is put in front of them- simply because of who they're watching. Barcelona vs I dunno, Sporting Gijon, would probably still draw a large crowd. I went to the Nou Camp a few years ago for a game against Sevilla (a pretty big club). The section I was in was FULL of either a) asian tourists or b) english speaking lads.

It's a shit idea anyway, and one that sets a dangerous precedent for the other big leagues. Football in Europe carries a huge element of prestige/history and the stadiums that these big games are played in, and the fans in attendance, play a big part of that. Even if it was Barca-Real being played in, say, Qatar, it would be shit as you'd instantly kill huge elements of why that game is such a big deal- the hostile atmosphere, the prestigious stadiums full of partisan fans, the joy for players of smashing one in against your rivals. Completely dead. This is the next phase in football selling its soul and it won't be long before other leagues follow suit.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011

Can kinda understand that argument middle, and if it came down to it, if it ever actually happened then I can imagine people will want to go to it from Brighton just for a weeks jolly to go and watch Brighton play. But ultimately that's what friendlies are for, surely?

This mustn't happen in my opinion just because it makes more money, regular season games shouldn't be played outside of England. As simple as that.

Frankly I couldn't give a damn about how Brighton are perceived, or any sort of brand promoting, in the far east or America.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
As commented earlier I could easily see the Carafiz cup final located to Asia. We could win our first major trophy since 1910 in Bangkok. One messy night in Soy Cowboy.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here