Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Most Influential Player

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
The fact that players like Sterling and Stones are ranked as highly influential says enough about the reliability of that article.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Baldrick's busy (but unlike some from the past, effective) running the lines and channels gives us so many more options than we currently threaten.

Invaluable right now in our present situation.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
The fact that players like Sterling and Stones are ranked as highly influential says enough about the reliability of that article.

Where's Stones mentioned? I thought City's most influential player was David Silva, which seems pretty accurate, but then again I don't regularly watch or care about City. Obviously the model isn't perfect and some players will be involved in more wins purely due to coincidence. But in terms of Brighton, it's hard to argue against Baldock and Murray being the most influential players.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Where's Stones mentioned? I thought City's most influential player was David Silva, which seems pretty accurate, but then again I don't regularly watch or care about City. Obviously the model isn't perfect and some players will be involved in more wins purely due to coincidence. But in terms of Brighton, it's hard to argue against Baldock and Murray being the most influential players.

It lists the 10 most influential players in a table part way down the page. Stones is 6th with a rating of 2.3. Stones was about as influential as a vegan in a bacon eating contest.

I'm not disagreeing that Baldock was probably our most influential player last year and we're missing him now. But I think to say Murphy was by far out least influential player is a bit harsh.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
What a load of tosh!! It's got Ashley Barnes down as Burnley's MOST influential player and Sam Vokes as the LEAST influential last season.

Vokes finished our TOP scorer last season...also it has Dean Marney down as 2nd least influential player. Ask any 10 Burnley fans and I bet the majority would say Marney is/was our most influential player.

Three times in four seasons, he has suffered a bad injury but results have always been better when Marney is a starter - 2013/14; 2014/15 especially so. He missed most of the 2015/16 season and our results tailed off badly last season when he was injured at Arsenal in January. Then we had 26 points from 21 games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We really do miss him, we were a much stronger side when he started last season..
The team doesn't miss Baldock, it really misses his attributes.
Making it all the more insane that for all his time at the club there has never been an adequate, either better or lesser, replacement.

Aug 23, 2011
Sam Baldock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40974299

We really do miss him, we were a much stronger side when he started last season.

Meanwhile, Jamie Murphy was quite comfortably our least influential player.

Its not quite as straightforward as that surely because you also have to look at the games the players played in. Did Murphy play more times in away games where we would primarily set up not to lose?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would say Bruno was our most influental player last season, especially in the early part when he played in central defence.

This season I expect it to be Davy Pröpper.

For Man City I thought it was Fernandinho and Arsenal are missing Carvalho.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
double post

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The team doesn't miss Baldock, it really misses his attributes.
Making it all the more insane that for all his time at the club there has never been an adequate, either better or lesser, replacement.

There are some posters who will tell you that we don't and won't miss him because we will only be playing one upfront this season. Gross will be able to slot in there when needed....apparently or so I've read on here :smile:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stephens Dunk, Duffy and Bruno made the most passes per game last season with Stephens the most accurate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There are some posters who will tell you that we don't and won't miss him because we will only be playing one upfront this season. Gross will be able to slot in there when needed....apparently or so I've read on here :smile:

I'm one of those that say (for the most of the season) we'll only be playing one up-front. I base this on:
-- how we've played in pre-season
-- how we've played in our first three games, and
-- more importantly, what CH has said and what (most of) our transfer activity was about
You, and SB, seem to think otherwise. What are your explanations?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would say Bruno was our most influental player last season, especially in the early part when he played in central defence.

This season I expect it to be Davy Pröpper.

For Man City I thought it was Fernandinho and Arsenal are missing Carvalho.

Who?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm one of those that say (for the most of the season) we'll only be playing one up-front. I base this on:
-- how we've played in pre-season
-- how we've played in our first three games, and
-- more importantly, what CH has said and what (most of) our transfer activity was about
You, and SB, seem to think otherwise. What are your explanations?

Baldock hasn't played so I think it is quite possible that CH has taken that into account in our game plan. He did play Gross in a more forward role the Leicester game and he looked totally inept, slow and lightweight being brushed off the ball at will by Leicester defenders

We need Baldock imo. Until he comes back we won't have a clue though whether Hughton will use him, seems very odd to renew his contract if he didn't intend to though.

We have no idea what our proposed transfer activity really was as we only know who we managed to get, apart from the leaked info on the two strikers.. Early doors we were looking for two strikers, by the end we were only looking for one.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Baldock hasn't played so I think it is quite possible that CH has taken that into account in our game plan. He did play Gross in a more forward role the Leicester game and he looked totally inept, slow and lightweight being brushed off the ball at will by Leicester defenders

We need Baldock imo. Until he comes back we won't have a clue though whether Hughton will use him, seems very odd to renew his contract if he didn't intend to though.

So, it's just your opinion, rather than basing it on strategy, what the manager's said, etc.
Baldock may play as the one striker up-front (he may need to if the other two are injured). And we may play two up-front in certain match situations and against certain opponents and, if or when we do, I suspect we'll see Baldock then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here