Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Barry

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I've missed it).

Saturday will see the return of Gareth Barry, 20 years after he left the Albion for the bright lights of the Premier League.

Will he get a good reception or will his return go largely unnoticed?

His departure certainly helped the club out at a time when we were desperate for the money. Kudos to Dick Knight for digging his heels in on the fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Will he be playing with a seagull sitting on his head?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In full: "The chairman of Brighton wouldn't recognise Gareth Barry if he was stood on Brighton beach in the team strip, with a seagull on his head and a ball in his hand."

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gareth who ?

Yes, played for England, but he's had shag all to do with the albion since the last century or so.

I doubt he could even spell Amex, let alone know where the stadium actually is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I doubt he could even spell Amex,

I imagine that's one word that PL footballers would know all too well.

Very different from 30 odd years when I worked there, filing the rejected applications - one of which belonged to an England player. Imagine a premier league, international footballer not being able to get a credit or charge card now ... he'd probably get i hand-delivered.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
It's the least he deserves. He has always said how much he'd love to come back to Sussex and play for Brighton. If you cut him he'd bleed.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Very different from 30 odd years when I worked there, filing the rejected applications - one of which belonged to an England player. Imagine a premier league, international footballer not being able to get a credit or charge card now ... he'd probably get i hand-delivered.

Carlton Palmer's my guess

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The right and proper response is to ignore.

But if we go 3 up, polite applause is appropriate when he's subbed off.

Have some self respect and sense of proportion, people.

FFS

glower.jpeg

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The right and proper response is to ignore.

But if we go 3 up, polite applause is appropriate when he's subbed off.

Have some self respect and sense of proportion, people.

FFS

View attachment 89026

I agree with the vast majority of what you post on here Harry Wilson's Tackle but you're off the mark this time. Gareth Albert Barry has done so much for local football that it would be wrong for us as a club not to offer him our gratitude this coming Saturday with spontanious applause. From Battle to the Bernabeu - quite a story. One that will be told locally for centuries to come no doubt.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Obviously changed now but at one point he was the most expensive in transfers in history. I.e. add all his transfers up and they were the most.
Great player.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

Was it Paul Merson?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here