Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex, third most expensive pint in the UK

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Which I guess begs the question where is the cheapest pint in Brighton?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Living in Surrey, I was not in the least surprised to see that prices are highest here.

Latent middle class alcoholism is rife and with both high demand and disposable income, together with a high volume of gastropubs it's a perfect formula for pubs to set whatever prices they want.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They charge what they can get away with. Was shocked on my first trip to Ellesmere, Shropshire, a pint of beer and a large house white wine came in at about £5.40 last crimbo. Mind you, had a breakfast in The Village in Brighton which set me back £24 for two which is bloody ridiculous too.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Local Village Pub to me £5 a pint ,luckily the local social club a lot cheaper and we've picked up a lot of trade.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People stupid enough to pay daft prices for hipster beer, I'll stick with Spoonies thanks!

Fine. You might see me in there. They do some cracking cask ales. What you having?

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The cost of renting or buying a pub is much higher in London or the south east, and business rates have sky rocketed recently.

Customers are not getting fleeced down here, and I would bet that the margins on the price of a pint are very similar, north or south.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The outing has to represent value for money. If you are daft enough to pay high to be hip you are a tool!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Paid a pittance for drinks up in Middlesbrough

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The cost of renting or buying a pub is much higher in London or the south east, and business rates have sky rocketed recently.

Customers are not getting fleeced down here, and I would bet that the margins on the price of a pint are very similar, north or south.

Indeed, rates are the most iniquitous tax on running a business. The rates on our London pub will double over the next 5 years, from about £1400 a month, to £2800, once the relief tapers off. Roughly equivalent to having to sell an extra 700 pints a month just to stand still. The only person who benefits from the increase in property value is the property owner, who pays nothing, not the Lessee, who foots the bill. Add in inflation busting rises in the living wage, and Auto-enrolment, rent and duty increases, it's a miracle the rate of pub closures isn't even bigger. No choice but to increase prices

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
I say this to customers all the time: you think it's bad now, it will only get higher.

Most people of a certain age can probably remember a beer costing less than £1 (I've only seen it in 70s/80s TV shows), hell my own dad bought his first in shillings! I'm 24 and go for 'hipster' craft beers myself, but if one complains about cheap crap being £4.50 now, they should begin to consider how much it will be in the future! I dread to think, if I'm still drinking at 30 how much my nice beers will be.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

JD Wetherspoon pricing would tell us thats not the case, as they have higher overheads (large sites) but do ales £2.50-£3 a pint. and thats not down to economies of scale because most pubs are still under lease/chains. a manager for a chain said they are told to rise prices to match London/Brighton as thats what locals will pay. in east London i know of a couple of pubs about 1/2 mile apart, one a trendy gastro affair, the other old school boozer, the later is about a £ cheaper on most beers, though it has a limited range. pubs will fleece us if they want and or can, and the "craft" beer thing has definatly allowed them to rise prices on the pretense of something special.

Last edited:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The Evening Star has a beer for £9.50 a pint. I stick to Hophead at £3.35

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here