Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

food- the perfect roast potato

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Prefer my roasts smaller. King Edwards are the best. Never peel mine. Boil (i steam mine) for 10 mins then whack them around the colander.

Put into hot olive oil....not too much...a couple of mm in the roasting pan. Add garlic and rosemary and/or thyme. Roast until crisp at around 210, turning once.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I keep it simple but cheers for some of the tips above, a few things to try
Peel, parboil 15 mins
Drain in colander for quite a while, allowing them to dry out a bit (avoids the need for any flour coating)
Bloody good shake to fray the edges
Meanwhile heat roasting tray of ideally goose or duck fat to a depth of at least half way up spuds
Turn a few times whilst cooking
Put in hot serving dish lined with kitchen roll

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Thins always works for me

e05ce50293c2cc7d28ddeecab2cb9b8a.jpg

01a07f4dfc61019917e0707654c08505.jpg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Had a roast at the connaught hove the other day, potatoes with marmite very nice!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife tells me it is a myth about using goose or duck unless you are cooking those she always uses the fat from the meat she has roast unless I want it as dripping in whch case she uses oil but must be very hot when the potatoes are put in it and then pour some boiling oil over them to make up required quantity

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Buy these from shop.
Turn on oven.
Put these on a tray and place in oven.
When they are cooked, eat them.

Aunt-Bessies-Roast-Potatoes.jpg

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Had a roast at the connaught hove the other day, potatoes with marmite very nice!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Oh, I didn't realise that and I have been a few times. I just asked the missus and she said you can buy you have to ask. There you go, will try next time. BTW, Connaught today's at very very good if anyone wants to try it.

I always use red roosters. I haven't tried this because a) the wife won't like it b) I keep forgetting but I have been recommended mustard powder on the spuds. Will try one day, should be awesome with beef.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I've learned nothing from this thread. Marmite?

Parboil peeled and cut up spuds for 10 mins maximum, drain, shake in colander like a *******. Top shelf of oven, preheat baking tray at Gas Mark 6 with a generous spoonful of Goose fat. Take baking tray out, place on a low burning gas ring. Get kids, pets and other non-combatants out the kitchen. Tip drained and previously shaken spuds out into the hot baking tray, Turn them over a few times, ignoring any burns sustained on the forearms. Add pitted olives and garlic cloves to taste. Bit of salt and pepper. Place noisily sizzling tray in oven, top shelf, for 20 mins. Then take jt out, turn the spuds and stick back in for maybe 15 minutes more. Check frequently to make sure you're not burning them. Then get them out and give them a shake. They should bounce around on their crispy roast surfaces. Serve quickly. If in doubt, stick a meat thermometer in one.....95 degrees centigrade + and you're there.

There have been some weirdos on NSC over the years but this really takes the biscuit

Odd thing is, my roast potatoes are wonderful according to the family, even my 80 year old mother in law says they are the best she has eaten.

Just can't stand the bloody things myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here