Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Sports" Glasses for Kids

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Alba Badger Jr. has been told he needs glasses to correct bad eyesight in one eye. Apparently his condition should mean that he finds sport difficult. Can’t wait till get gets some glasses for football as he's not a bad wee player at the moment.

Any advice on sports glasses for playing football? See some kids with what look like goggles etc. All Advise gratefully received.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
download.jpeg

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
As soon as we found out he was the first you tube video's we searched for. Bless the boy he has been great about it, just nope no little pr*k at school gives him any gip about wearing them.

Teach him to tackle like Davids and he won't have a problem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Contact lenses surely?

Unless things have changed when I was a lad, you can't get contact lenses as a kid. I'm as short-sighted as Mr Magoo but had to wait until I was 18 before I was allowed lenses.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One of our current under 11s and one of our ex players both wore glasses to play. No comments at all from the boys regarding the kid who left as he wore them from the first time he came so it was perfectly natural to the others. Our current player took to wearing them mid-season and it's improved rather than affected his performance. Again, his team mates have just accepted it though the manager (I'm a parent helper / coach) immediately named him "Edgar" as he does bear a passing resemblance!

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
My son played football, rugby and cricket in sports glasses for five years until this year, when he switched to contacts (he's 11). No issues at all.

His optician should have a range to have a look at - just make sure all the facial contacts are rubberized.

D

Deleted member 2719

What age group is he, i have seen them worn in u9's and u10's and no kids even mention them.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
My son played football, rugby and cricket in sports glasses for five years until this year, when he switched to contacts (he's 11). No issues at all.

His optician should have a range to have a look at - just make sure all the facial contacts are rubberized.

Ditto my eldest wore prescription sports goggles - not like the ones Davids uses but with a wraparound elastic strap. I bought them online. They were a bit like swimming googles. No problems with them apart from occasional steaming up and never an issue with his team mates. He went into contacts at 11 as does my other son at the same age.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Unless things have changed when I was a lad, you can't get contact lenses as a kid. I'm as short-sighted as Mr Magoo but had to wait until I was 18 before I was allowed lenses.

There is not age limit for contacts. My sister had them when she was about 11 (she's nearly 50 now)... But I suspect 7 might be pushing it from an optician's point of view.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There is not age limit for contacts. My sister had them when she was about 11 (she's nearly 50 now)... But I suspect 7 might be pushing it from an optician's point of view.

There was an age limit when I was a kid - and I did put in the proviso that could have changed since the 1970s. I'm sure if I'd had them when I was 11 I'd have lost them regularly :)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Whilst looking for details of Stefan Ljubicic's performances for the Icelandic U-19s in two games against Wales over the weekend, I happened to notice one of his compatriots was wearing glasses:-

Gingermitglasses.jpg

There's also a seagull in that photo, which I didn't even notice the first time I looked at it!

Jul 7, 2003
I have a pair of Edgar Davids style goggles that I got from Vision Express a few years ago as I couldn't see the far end of the pitch and have no desire to wear contacts. The cost was fairly reasonable - around £100 - much cheaper than these things used to be. There are expensive designer versions available but they are not worth the extra.

They take a little while to get used to but after that I was able to play either as a keeper or out on pitch without any issue. They are not specifically designed for football but are strong enough to withstand a direct hit with a squash ball so a football is not an issue. I did have a problem occasionally with them misting up but bought some drops online that you put on the lenses and stop this happening.

As for kids, when I was coaching I wore the goggles and got a lot of interest from parents who were worried about their kids damaging their normal glasses. I'm not sure if it is still the case, but for parents who can't afford these glasses, there was some funding available via an FA community fund to encourage kids to keep playing rather than have to give up because of their visual impairment.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My kids played with a kid that had to wear glasses all the time due to sunlight, plus he was about 50% blind at the time. I don't know if anyone taking the proverbial. He used to get in the team ahead of other players on merit. He is now playing for England disabled rugby team.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here