Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motor Racing and the late Jim Clark.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Have to say not the biggest fan of motor sport but TV channel Yesterday showed last night a rather moving programme on the two time world champion from the Scottish boarders and Clark lost his life at 32 years of age.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Always used to follow Jim Clark,s career when l was a kid back in the 60's, and it was probably him who gave me my lifelong love of Lotus cars, the team he drove for right up until his tragic death at Hockenheim.

theboybilly

Always used to follow Jim Clark,s career when l was a kid back in the 60's, and it was probably him who gave me my lifelong love of Lotus cars, the team he drove for right up until his tragic death at Hockenheim.

Indeed, I always associate Jim Clark with Lotus more than any other driver. I remember that the Lotus Climax was struggling compared to the opposition around a US circuit (I think Indianapolis) so Clark suggested to Colin Chapman moving body of the car across the chassis to compensate for the predominant left (or right - I can't recall which) curves. It worked a treat

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Jim Clark was the finest racing driver of all time. Put him, Fangio, Schumacher and Senna in the same type of car and he would have beaten them.

Aside from Grand Prix racing he won in saloon cars, sports cars and won the Indianapolis 500.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I met him as a child when he and some other drivers took part in an event in Helsinki, where my parents were living, in the mid 60s. I am really proud of the autograph. The only other driver I can name who was there was Jochen Rindt and tragically he was also dead within a few years.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I met him as a child when he and some other drivers took part in an event in Helsinki, where my parents were living, in the mid 60s. I am really proud of the autograph. The only other driver I can name who was there was Jochen Rindt and tragically he was also dead within a few years.

And both of them driving Lotuses, very fast but apparently fragile racing cars...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
For me it's just amazing that nearly fifty years after his tragic death this humble sheep farmer from the Scottish borders is so warmly remembered.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And both of them driving Lotuses, very fast but apparently fragile racing cars...

Indeed. Although it wasn't just the Lotus, all of the Formula One cars were the same back in those days. Fatal accidents were much more common. The welfare of the driver wasn't the top prority that it is nowadays.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The guy is a genuine legend and in these days where there are cameras covering every inch of every F1 circuit it is weird to think that he died crashing into a tree with no onlookers and no footage whatsoever.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The guy is a genuine legend and in these days where there are cameras covering every inch of every F1 circuit it is weird to think that he died crashing into a tree with no onlookers and no footage whatsoever.

It wasn't a Grand Prix or indeed a Formula 1 race, it was Formula 2 at Hockenheim in the era when the German GP was at the old 13 mile Nurburgring.

As previously stated he raced many different formats, something todays drivers wouldn't contemplate.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Rindt....the only ( to date ) posthumous F1 World Champion ( 1970, I think )

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Jim Clark was the finest racing driver of all time. Put him, Fangio, Schumacher and Senna in the same type of car and he would have beaten them.

Aside from Grand Prix racing he won in saloon cars, sports cars and won the Indianapolis 500.

Agree with that. He was very talented and deserves legendary status.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Also on Yesterday over the weekend was a prog about the 1955 Le Mans. It was all about the horrific crash that killed 87 people, and Mike Hawthorn's tussle with the Fangio. Very interesting programme, with accounts from other drivers/spectators that were there. Hawthorn died when he was about 30 on the Guildford bypass, but I hadn't realised until watching the prog that he had a terminal illness during his Le Man/F1 days.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Also on Yesterday over the weekend was a prog about the 1955 Le Mans. It was all about the horrific crash that killed 87 people, and Mike Hawthorn's tussle with the Fangio. Very interesting programme, with accounts from other drivers/spectators that were there. Hawthorn died when he was about 30 on the Guildford bypass, but I hadn't realised until watching the prog that he had a terminal illness during his Le Man/F1 days.

I saw that programme about a month ago didn't even know about the incident at all and like you say what an insight.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
In those days drivers were no way as protected as they are now !

But yes, Jim Clark was something else !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here