[Football] Interesting insight into transfer deadline day

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
A 9 minute video showing how the day went at Sheffield United who also missed out on players, who wanted to join, for various reasons.

(Includes a brief cameo of ex-Albion stalwart Paul Watson)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...line-day-access-all-areas-at-sheffield-united

Good watch that, very interesting, I'd imagine something similar going on down at Lancing but obviously Chris would have be playing cribbage and not pool.
They definitely all would have been cursing the agents though, holding the clubs to ransom for their own gain but often to the detriment of their own players it would seem.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
A 9 minute video showing how the day went at Sheffield United who also missed out on players, who wanted to join, for various reasons.

(Includes a brief cameo of ex-Albion stalwart Paul Watson)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...line-day-access-all-areas-at-sheffield-united

Flagged this on the Bloom happy with Summer transfers thread *FIXTURES KLAXON* and tagged Paul Winstanley about it on Twitter stating no wonder it's tough if this is the crap he and the club have to put up with (which he then liked).

Agents bear the brunt of my angst having watched it especially the idiot keeping Jerome Sinclair sat at Sheffield station while he tried to extract more ££££ from United. What a weasel.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I doubt there's too much argument that agents are the worst part of modern football. They are why the prices have inflated to ridiculous levels. They are opportunists of the highest (or lowest?) order, they're making a living through an accepted form of extortion.

Are agents regulated at all, does anybody know?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Good watch that, very interesting, I'd imagine something similar going on down at Lancing but obviously Chris would have be playing cribbage and not pool.
They definitely all would have been cursing the agents though, holding the clubs to ransom for their own gain but often to the detriment of their own players it would seem.

Yep. Gone are the days when Peter Taylor The First said to Wardy "Right, it's fifty quid a week. Sign there." And the rest is history....If only agents were history too....!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reminisecent of estate agents in the late 80s? Inflation followed. Fancy that, eh?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The thing that surprised me most was they appeared to have drawn up their most wanted list on deadline day itself. Was this just an illusion of the video as none of the targets seemed to me to have been approached before then?? Apart from maybe the Scots lad

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It would be interesting if a club let a fan shadow a senior exec for deadline day. I wonder if a pro club would ever let that happen?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thing that surprised me most was they appeared to have drawn up their most wanted list on deadline day itself. Was this just an illusion of the video as none of the targets seemed to me to have been approached before then?? Apart from maybe the Scots lad

Absolutely, teams can cry all they want about the situation but Utd didn't come across as professional in the slightest.

They might as well have helped out with their own ransom note by spending the rest of the window cutting relevant words out of the newspaper and already handcuffing themselves to a radiator.

They make one reference to Donaldson (?) now being surplus to requirements, fair enough, maybe that was a deal being chased throughout the window and they were waiting on 'arry.

But beyond that Utd were just asking to be taken advantage of, and then moaning that they were.

Last edited:

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I doubt there's too much argument that agents are the worst part of modern football. They are why the prices have inflated to ridiculous levels. They are opportunists of the highest (or lowest?) order, they're making a living through an accepted form of extortion.

Are agents regulated at all, does anybody know?

Agents and FIFA are the worst part of modern football. FIFA have set the bar for unscrupulous practices. The leeches are merely playing follow the leader.
Imagine FIFA regulating this sector of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's on another thread somewhere, and I can't find it now. I also think he's since protected his account.

But in short he said that he'd been told by Albion insiders that our transfer window had been a shambles.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's on another thread somewhere, and I can't find it now. I also think he's since protected his account.

But in short he said that he'd been told by Albion insiders that our transfer window had been a shambles.
Doesn't really take a genius to figure that out. Albeit, fortune was against us - we could have done better.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Someone used a good analogy that a transfer is a bit like buying a house - agreeing the sale is the easy bit, then you have surveys and searches, negotiating over the results of those, any stuff to be left, mortgage arrangements an finance confirmed, exchange of contracts and completion. You've then got potentially a chain either side of that contract, each of which can break the chain.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thank you, I've now found it.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?355803-Paul-Watson&highlight=watson

Personally, if that is his account, I think there is some sour grapes in it.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but not very professional.

I don't doubt it is his real account.

fc665544b6557a08db2f0d245ba376f7.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here