Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ifo needed from all you TV guru's

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Now i'm not a TV savy person, so looking for help and advice i have a tv in my workshop/garage they i use for dvd's but has a free view box connected to an aerial from the house roof, because of the distance from the this aerial to the workshop it has 3 amplifiers along the way. one in the roof space, one just before it leave the house and the third in the workshop. i have bought various different free view boxes but they all suffer from lack of signal. Not all the time can get some channels but not others dependent on the weather.

To get over this is it better to put a new aerial up on the out side of the workshop or go down the internet route.
I have a 50Mpb broadband and have wifi extenders in the workshop so am i better looking internet based TV? if so what, this is where i need the help.

Whilst i'm out there a lot in different periods ie when i have a project etc i will be out there ever day for weeks then not at all for a month, so don't want a paying subscription and happy with free view if possible.

Appreciate NSC words of wisdom.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
An amplifier only amplifies the original signal, so if your aerial is not 100% then you are not getting 100%. What is the signal like on the main TV? How far away is the garage?
Three amplifiers is really going OTT and I would have thought just the one but within a few metres of the aerial (generally in the loft) would be ample. You say distance, is the cable going underground or maybe damaged at some point.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
An amplifier only amplifies the original signal, so if your aerial is not 100% then you are not getting 100%. What is the signal like on the main TV? How far away is the garage?
Three amplifiers is really going OTT and I would have thought just the one but within a few metres of the aerial (generally in the loft) would be ample. You say distance, is the cable going underground or maybe damaged at some point.

The house tv is connected to Virgin.
The aerial is all routed down the outside wall to where it used to be connected to the house TV where the second amp is then instead of connecting to TV its then routed outside overhead in metal conduit for protection to the workshop.
Aerial to original tv is approx 15m. them to outside 10m and then to workshop 15m so total run 40m ish.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reckon the 3 amps are amplifying noise. try just one, the one from the drop down from the aerial.

also if you have a conduit, run a CAT5 cable down to the workshop for far better internet eitherway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Get a new aerial and get them to do the run on the way down. After years of buggering about I had mine replaced. Should have done in years ago.

A hole in the market is a cheap freeview receiver that distributes the signal round round your Wi-Fi.

They do exist but are for outdoor use.

I"ve a tiny freeview box (smaller than a match box) that turns an android device like a tablet into a freeview receiver.

When I'm working at home got it sitting on my desk. There is a handy tv socket behind.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I ordered a 'TV FOX ANTENNA ' which duly arrived from USA.

It is lying face down beside the HD ready TV in my bedroom but still delivers all the enhanced channels ( not SKY etc ) but for £35 !

Haven't even bothered trying to find a useful angle towards the Brighton transmitter.

Check it out !

If you can't find info PM me.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The house tv is connected to Virgin.
The aerial is all routed down the outside wall to where it used to be connected to the house TV where the second amp is then instead of connecting to TV its then routed outside overhead in metal conduit for protection to the workshop.
Aerial to original tv is approx 15m. them to outside 10m and then to workshop 15m so total run 40m ish.

Sorry for delay, been at work. 40m may be too long a distance if your signal is not 100%. Where do you live, do you have 'line of sight' of the transmitter (no massive buildings or trees in the way). May be worth starting a fresh with a new aerial on the workshop. Getting someone in could be reasonable but it may be an easy job you can do yourself.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sorry for delay, been at work. 40m may be too long a distance if your signal is not 100%. Where do you live, do you have 'line of sight' of the transmitter (no massive buildings or trees in the way). May be worth starting a fresh with a new aerial on the workshop. Getting someone in could be reasonable but it may be an easy job you can do yourself.

It something easy i can do, just need the info as to which route to take.
Appreciate the help.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you have Virgin cabled to the house, I'd run a Cat 5 cable from the router to your workshop - this will loose very little speed over 40 metres of cable - then you can have internet TV cabled [faster than WiFi] to your garage.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you have Virgin cabled to the house, I'd run a Cat 5 cable from the router to your workshop - this will loose very little speed over 40 metres of cable - then you can have internet TV cabled [faster than WiFi] to your garage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTDOOR-EXTERNAL-cat5e-Network-Ethernet/dp/B009U81EFI Not saying this particular item is good, just first item I found. If your TV is fairly new it should have all the bits you need. BUT as you need a freeview box my reckoning is it is an old TV in which case time for an upgrade.
Again, with the wi-fi extender being in the workshop, it is picking up a weaker signal thus still not working to its full capacity.
I'd guess getting in an aerial rigger would be around £100/£150 but they would be able to do a professional job. As a guide, aerials £20 to £50, bracketry around £20 to £30 and cable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here