Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Burnley a comparison?

Hereford Gull

Jan 21, 2004
Margaret River WA
Burnley in 2014/15 relegated with 7 wins, 19 losses, gf 28 ga 53, 10 clean sheets.

Burnley in 2016/17 stayed up with 11 wins, 20 losses, gf 39 ga 55, 10 clean sheets.

They retained their squad on relegation and gained experience of the PL. Obviously the goals turned 1pt into 3pt like Watford could have been.

Looking forward to the rollercoaster.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I think it's difficult to make too much of a comparison as each season tends to be different from the next. For the last two season there's been a team which has finally been relegated after circling the drain as it were (Sunderland and Villa). This time round there isn't the obvious candidate, so that's 3 slots rather than two.

One of the things we've been criticised for (dour play etc) has helped keep us up. If you want to try a more attacking approach you need the players to do so and I think Dyche's philosophy was always about keeping clean sheets or at least the score down so we could nick a point. There are a lot of strong teams in the top 6 or so who will give you a hiding if you try and match them.

The one thing Brighton have over many other teams is that they are expected to go down as they are newly promoted. What you can hope for is that a regular Prem team gets caught up in the relegation and it gives the the 'fear'. It's what I'm hoping for as I think we'll do well to stay up this season.

A good candidate for 'the fear' is your rivals Palace, full of players who won't have been expecting to be where they are and perhaps not best suited to it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it's difficult to make too much of a comparison as each season tends to be different from the next. For the last two season there's been a team which has finally been relegated after circling the drain as it were (Sunderland and Villa). This time round there isn't the obvious candidate, so that's 3 slots rather than two.

One of the things we've been criticised for (dour play etc) has helped keep us up. If you want to try a more attacking approach you need the players to do so and I think Dyche's philosophy was always about keeping clean sheets or at least the score down so we could nick a point. There are a lot of strong teams in the top 6 or so who will give you a hiding if you try and match them.

The one thing Brighton have over many other teams is that they are expected to go down as they are newly promoted. What you can hope for is that a regular Prem team gets caught up in the relegation and it gives the the 'fear'. It's what I'm hoping for as I think we'll do well to stay up this season.

A good candidate for 'the fear' is your rivals Palace, full of players who won't have been expecting to be where they are and perhaps not best suited to it.

Wise words. Chris Hughton also likes the defensive type of play, you described in your second paragraph. A lot of our fans won't like it, but that is key to survival.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Wise words. Chris Hughton also likes the defensive type of play, you described in your second paragraph. A lot of our fans won't like it, but that is key to survival.

cheers - a lot of the Burnley fans have got annoyed with Dyche because we haven't signed Messi and don't play like Barcelona. The realisation is that only a few clubs can really play like this and the reality of the Premier League is largely not getting hammered by the bigger clubs. Sad but true.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
cheers - a lot of the Burnley fans have got annoyed with Dyche because we haven't signed Messi and don't play like Barcelona. The realisation is that only a few clubs can really play like this and the reality of the Premier League is largely not getting hammered by the bigger clubs. Sad but true.

Yes. I said, last season, we would enjoy the journey more than the destination. It happened in 79-83.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Sidwell will be having a lot to say in private to rest of the squad - the attitude he and Rosenoir are likely to engender will be vital

We have a solid defence and three quick wingers

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Some good reasoned posts above ,and yes our senior players will have an impact on morale and I include Mr Krul in that and think he will be a very good signing for us .

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Burnley in 2014/15 relegated with 7 wins, 19 losses, gf 28 ga 53, 10 clean sheets.

Burnley in 2016/17 stayed up with 11 wins, 20 losses, gf 39 ga 55, 10 clean sheets.

They retained their squad on relegation and gained experience of the PL. Obviously the goals turned 1pt into 3pt like Watford could have been.

Looking forward to the rollercoaster.

To be perfectly honest i cant see us getting Burnleys 2014/15 season of 7 wins and 28 goals

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have a lot of time for Sean Dyche, he may not be an Albion style of manager, but along with the likes of Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce, he has a proven record of keeping his team in the Premier League.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
28 goals seems a huge ask.

Knockaert - 5
Izquirerdo - 5
Murray - 5
Gross - 3
Hemed - 3
Everyone else - 7 between them?

Yeah fair enough breakdown - i just hope we're in touching distance of safety come January window so we might attract a decent striker?, really hard to see where the goals are going to come from though

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd look at the likes of Sunderland and villa, much more likely to be a close comparison to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here