Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor on Deadline Day

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
'And now the one you've been waiting for...Dean Hammond'

'Don't shoot the messenger. My information is not true.'

He's like one of those incredibly annoying (think they) know it all kids you went to school with, the sort who'd get you into trouble with the teacher. Wish he'd move back to Stoke or similar so that we are fed our Albion info from a different, perhaps more local, source.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Incredibly annoying that he seems to get it right too.

Love to know his source. Bet the club would too.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove

He's like one of those incredibly annoying (think they) know it all kids you went to school with, the sort who'd get you into trouble with the teacher. Wish he'd move back to Stoke or similar so that we are fed our Albion info from a different, perhaps more local, source.

I'm reluctant to criticise him cos the Argus has such little budget and I feel for local journalism...

But the job he does seems poor ...

Seems to be so careful to be on right side of the club and not upsetting them, most other local print journos have sources and if he has them, he doesn't reveal the info ..only reactionary to someone flagging a potential story. Happy to knock rumours down but doesn't have many scoops of his own.

And his long form writing isn't great either.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Quick to dismiss.... unbelievably slow to actually link us with anyone.

Clueless and reliant on NSC info IMO.

Stumpy Tim

He's definitely not reliant on NSC! He only gives info when he knows it to be true. He's a journalist, not a forum user. He's got most things, not everything, right. At the end of the day his job is to report news, not spout gossip. I think he does a decent job

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
He's definitely not reliant on NSC! He only gives info when he knows it to be true. He's a journalist, not a forum user. He's got most things, not everything, right. At the end of the day his job is to report news, not spout gossip. I think he does a decent job

Whatever you say Andy.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.

Thats funny, he was raised in Brighton, went to school locally and has worked at the Argus since the mid 80's...he chose Stoke for personal reasons. As a side, in the profession of journalism, you never hire anyone to cover a team that they have a personal vested interest in, creates a biased viewpoint that is not a perspective any publication should take.

The relationship between any journos and this form of BHA is a world of difference from the Vinicombe/Freemantle period back in the day. The journos are put on a drip feed of information, a lot of which they have to keep off record until the club give them the go ahead to release. If anyone at the Argus releases a story early, they will lose the trust and openness from the club and find themselves in the same situation as the local media in various towns around England.

This is a link from a 2013 story about clubs banning newspapers.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-24743660

Too many signings over the years were compromised due to plans being released as a "Breaking News" scenario. Even in this window Barber reported, at the last fans forum, that one of our summer signings was reported overseas by local journos first, much to the annoyance of the Club. BHA keep their cards very close to their chests and they expect a relationship with local media to respect that fact.

I can guarantee you that he knows exactly what is going on at all times, he has a solid and trusted relationship with BHA that has taken 30 years to caress and maintain, his job is wide open for law infractions which could cost him his job and what is left of the paper to continue. To assume he knows nothing is more of a reflection of not knowing how journalism and reporting works.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I can guarantee you that he knows exactly what is going on at all times, he has a solid and trusted relationship with BHA that has taken 30 years to caress and maintain, his job is wide open for law infractions which could cost him his job and what is left of the paper to continue. To assume he knows nothing is more of a reflection of not knowing how journalism and reporting works

Okay then, because you seem to know quite explicitly how 'journalism and reporting works' and a 'guarantee Andy Naylor knows exactly what is going on at all times'. So tell us how you reached these fantastically bold statements. Prove it please.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quick to dismiss.... unbelievably slow to actually link us with anyone.

Clueless and reliant on NSC info IMO.

You've forgotten how it was reported that Stephen Ward had arrived for his medical, to sign permanently, after his loan spell.
Just after he arrived, his agent rang him and said Burnley had made him a better offer. So, that's where he went.

That's one of the reasons the club don't like gossip about transfers. Another one is Pritchard, who only got as far as the M25, before skedaddling up to Norwich.

Varndean VI Form College

Jul 29, 2011
Hove
Thats funny, he was raised in Brighton, went to school locally and has worked at the Argus since the mid 80's...he chose Stoke for personal reasons. As a side, in the profession of journalism, you never hire anyone to cover a team that they have a personal vested interest in, creates a biased viewpoint that is not a perspective any publication should take.

The relationship between any journos and this form of BHA is a world of difference from the Vinicombe/Freemantle period back in the day. The journos are put on a drip feed of information, a lot of which they have to keep off record until the club give them the go ahead to release. If anyone at the Argus releases a story early, they will lose the trust and openness from the club and find themselves in the same situation as the local media in various towns around England.

This is a link from a 2013 story about clubs banning newspapers.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-24743660

Too many signings over the years were compromised due to plans being released as a "Breaking News" scenario. Even in this window Barber reported, at the last fans forum, that one of our summer signings was reported overseas by local journos first, much to the annoyance of the Club. BHA keep their cards very close to their chests and they expect a relationship with local media to respect that fact.

I can guarantee you that he knows exactly what is going on at all times, he has a solid and trusted relationship with BHA that has taken 30 years to caress and maintain, his job is wide open for law infractions which could cost him his job and what is left of the paper to continue. To assume he knows nothing is more of a reflection of not knowing how journalism and reporting works.

You sound like you are incredibly proud of your son Mr Naylor; he certainly has down well for himself all things considered.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
I can guarantee you that he knows exactly what is going on at all times, he has a solid and trusted relationship with BHA that has taken 30 years to caress and maintain, his job is wide open for law infractions which could cost him his job and what is left of the paper to continue. To assume he knows nothing is more of a reflection of not knowing how journalism and reporting works

Okay then, because you seem to know quite explicitly how 'journalism and reporting works' and a 'guarantee Andy Naylor knows exactly what is going on at all times'. So tell us how you reached these fantastically bold statements. Prove it please.

I worked at Southern Publishing from 87 to 2001, in the Production department alongside editorial, working with the News and sports Editors and relevant subs. Became very good friends with reporters and photographers from all departments, with many nights out and five a side every Thursday at Moulscomb leisure centre for years, Newspapers are more family based than many other professions due to the 24 hours set up and closeness within each department.

There were many exclusives that were common knowledge inside North Road/Hollingbury that never came out, as there is everyday in many news offices.

There are a few current and ex employees that are on this board who will happily vouch for me if they so chose.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I have it on good authority that Naylor is disliked by senior figures within the club.

Linked to some of his previous reports.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I worked at Southern Publishing from 87 to 2001, in the Production department alongside editorial, working with the News and sports Editors and relevant subs. Became very good friends with reporters and photographers from all departments, with many nights out and five a side every Thursday at Moulscomb leisure centre for years, Newspapers are more family based than many other professions due to the 24 hours set up and closeness within each department.

There were many exclusives that were common knowledge inside North Road/Hollingbury that never came out, as there is everyday in many news offices.

There are a few current and ex employees that are on this board who will happily vouch for me if they so chose.

I really don't think we need ex employees to vouch for you. This is, after all, only a football forum! You worked in newspapers until 2001 when regional publishing was highly respected, along with its core of sports reporters. But this is 2017. The newsroom you relate to bears no resemblance to modern journalism, which mines its income from click-bait and more vicariously, from user generated content. I'd also like to take issue with your 'family' theme when it comes to regional newspapers. The Argus is owned by Newsquest, which in turn is owned by Gannett, a US based Goliath of global media. About as 'family' as Vodafone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here