Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I cancel Sky

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It sounds about the standard charge for the "full" Sky package (all channels + phone + broadband). Obviously this gentleman does not need broadband and probably isn't making use of all of the channels - but you'd need to know the circumstances under which he signed up to know whether they've taken advantage here or not.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what Sky have done wrong here. Sure, it's a high bill but how bad was the Alzheimer's four years ago when he signed up? Did they know of his disease? Did they proactively sign him up? I agree that there's a degree of social responsibility needed but I don't think I've ever been asked by any company, whether I have a debilitating brain disease or the like that would impede me from making a sound choice.

Still, feel for the poor guy and his family. Awful disease with which to live.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what Sky have done wrong here. Sure, it's a high bill but how bad was the Alzheimer's four years ago when he signed up? Did they know of his disease? Did they proactively sign him up? I agree that there's a degree of social responsibility needed but I don't think I've ever been asked by any company, whether I have a debilitating brain disease or the like that would impede me from making a sound choice.

Still, feel for the poor guy and his family. Awful disease with which to live.
Spot on.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Only if they knew about this. What should they do with every other account that is paying £100+ a month, assume it's someone with dementia or something else ?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
You should cancel it anyway, Sky subscribers are a massive reason football has gone into meltdown financially and why so many real football fans are being priced out from watching their beloved teams.
Indeed. If that wretched Murdoch hadn't made football so popular and exciting no one would go and the matches wouldn't sell out. With no demand the clubs would have to lower their admission prices.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Daughters and Mothers fault, if they had obtained a lasting power of attorney they would have had a legal right to access the details of the Sky account.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Sadly people are also silly and lazy. My dad was has been a sky customer for many years and he had the full package and was paying £120ish. I repeatedly told him (and offered to call on his behalf) that he should renegotiate or at least remove the movie channels etc. He could never be bothered, wasn't a priority etc. Finally he did it on his own last week - reduced his bill by £30 BUT signed up to Sky Q - completely unnecessary for his one TV, small property needs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sky's business model relies on peoples laziness / ignorance / apathy to allow them to utterly rinse thousands of their customers. A bit like insurers when they snidely hike the premiums by saying "if you're renewing with us you need do nothing". Clearly enough people just shrug, chuck the letter in the bin and let them get on with raiding their bank accounts every month. I've got a mate who is paying north of £90 a month to Sky and isn't even fussed about the football, but he can't be arsed to contact them to cancel - although now that Sky have lost the Ashes to BT, that might be just the little push he needs.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The relatives have only just got power of attorney, and found out. It takes time as I know from my mother's situation.

Ms Holdsworth told BBC Radio 5 live her uncle, who lives in Leeds, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two years ago.
She said, along with her mother, she had recently been given access to his bank accounts and had discovered the various payments, including to Sky.

The old boy was also paying out £35 for boiler cover when he lived in a council house, so no need for it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sky are in the right here I'm afraid. How would they know that a customer who watches a lot of sport (quoted in twitter) is incapable of canceling his subscription, which he doesn't want to cancel as he watches a lot of sport.
Bet he's mad now if his Daughter has cut it off.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sky are in the right here I'm afraid. How would they know that a customer who watches a lot of sport (quoted in twitter) is incapable of canceling his subscription, which he doesn't want to cancel as he watches a lot of sport.
Bet he's mad now if his Daughter has cut it off.

It included broadband and phone, he has neither.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just blame Sky, can anyone provide the transcript of the original date the contract was signed ?

I'll reserve judgement till then.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Get Now TV it's a no brainier. You can't over pay, you can cancel any time without charge, you can pay weekly or monthly and it has Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky entertainment and sky kids channels. You can mix what you pay for.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here