Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Do the 3 new PL clubs each year stand a chance?

0 Not allowed!
    Since the Neymar transfer earlier this month we've seen player prices sky rocket to mind boggling prices. Now you may use Huddersfield as an excuse to say we do stand a chance due to their great start but remember 95% of their signings happening in June/July before prices went sky high.

Reports of Everton willing to bid £22m for Zahore mean we have been completely out priced for one of our top targets. Everton even want £10m for Niasse who's been a bench warmer other than half a season on loan at Everton.

Now us 3 (Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle) don't have any of this PL TV money in our pockets and from what I gather from Barber interviews we don't automatically get all of our promotion cash straight in the bank. Burnley for example, who finished one place above relegation received £107.6m

I wonder if there is any plans to filter some of this new PL money into the promotion pot from Championship to give them that extra chance?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Super Moderator

2 Not allowed!
      We can borrow against the guaranteed income stream if necessary.
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Whoislloydy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Since the Neymar transfer earlier this month we've seen player prices sky rocket to mind boggling prices. Now you may use Huddersfield as an excuse to say we do stand a chance due to their great start but remember 95% of their signings happening in June/July before prices went sky high.

Reports of Everton willing to bid £22m for Zahore mean we have been completely out priced for one of our top targets. Everton even want £10m for Niasse who's been a bench warmer other than half a season on loan at Everton.

Now us 3 (Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle) don't have any of this PL TV money in our pockets and from what I gather from Barber interviews we don't automatically get all of our promotion cash straight in the bank. Burnley for example, who finished one place above relegation received £107.6m

I wonder if there is any plans to filter some of this new PL money into the promotion pot from Championship to give them that extra chance?
      When Albion were in the Championship trying and eventually gaining promotion to the PL, nobody actually gave us a chance.
      I don't recall anyone on here or elsewhere mentioning that we should have some of the spoils of the PL.
      We've got there on hard work and general togetherness.
      To the other two clubs, IMO, I couldn't give a toss.
      Je suis rôti de boeuf RandyWanger's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
      We can borrow against the guaranteed income stream if necessary.
      Thought we already had.
      Going for the juggler

1 Not allowed!
      Very early days but Huddersfield have got off to a good start, Newcastle won at the weekend and we are solid enough to suggest we are in with a chance if we start scoring.
      Unreasonable drinker

2 Not allowed!
      To say Huddersfield have got off to a good start is a bit of an understatement. They knew exactly who they wanted and despite the delay in their promotion caused by the play-offs they went straight for their targets and got them in before the players reported back for pre-season training thus giving them a real head start on us despite the play-off delay. Ok, their first 2 games were considerably easier than ours but they do have the advantage of a settled squad and have 2 out of the minimum 10 wins required to guarantee safety already in the bank.
      برايتون حتى أموت
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by e77 View Post
      we are in with a chance if we start scoring.
      Very wise.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Whoislloydy View Post
      Since the Neymar transfer earlier this month we've seen player prices sky rocket to mind boggling prices.
      Have we though? We sold Ulloa for £8m three years ago - how much are average Championship strikers being sold for now?

We rejected 7 or 8 mil for Stephens, when he had one year left on his contract. How much are players like Stephens going for now?
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      These stupid prices don't exactly represent the quality of the players so yes you have a chance if you look around lower league and abroad, however shouldn't you have been doing that over the last few years ?

The secret (if there is one) appears to be to go with the spine of your Championship team...us and Burnley for example and then wing it..You've come up a bit light up front, yet had the time to address it no ?

That aside we've just bid £27 million for Demarai Grey and been turned down. ..so are now in the same trap as the rest and does it make me feel better...not really

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by afcb View Post
      These stupid prices don't exactly represent the quality of the players so yes you have a chance if you look around lower league and abroad, however shouldn't you have been doing that over the last few years ?

The secret (if there is one) appears to be to go with the spine of your Championship team...us and Burnley for example and then wing it..You've come up a bit light up front, yet had the time to address it no ?

That aside we've just bid £27 million for Demarai Grey and been turned down. ..so are now in the same trap as the rest and does it make me feel better...not really
      Leicester activated the release clause in Gray's contract, reported as £3.7 million, in January 2016. He has made 42 appearances in a season and a half and scored one goal. He is undoubtedly a talent but I can't get my head around the prices being quoted this season.
      "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016