Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do the 3 new PL clubs each year stand a chance?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Since the Neymar transfer earlier this month we've seen player prices sky rocket to mind boggling prices. Now you may use Huddersfield as an excuse to say we do stand a chance due to their great start but remember 95% of their signings happening in June/July before prices went sky high.

Reports of Everton willing to bid £22m for Zahore mean we have been completely out priced for one of our top targets. Everton even want £10m for Niasse who's been a bench warmer other than half a season on loan at Everton.

Now us 3 (Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle) don't have any of this PL TV money in our pockets and from what I gather from Barber interviews we don't automatically get all of our promotion cash straight in the bank. Burnley for example, who finished one place above relegation received £107.6m

I wonder if there is any plans to filter some of this new PL money into the promotion pot from Championship to give them that extra chance?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Since the Neymar transfer earlier this month we've seen player prices sky rocket to mind boggling prices. Now you may use Huddersfield as an excuse to say we do stand a chance due to their great start but remember 95% of their signings happening in June/July before prices went sky high.

Reports of Everton willing to bid £22m for Zahore mean we have been completely out priced for one of our top targets. Everton even want £10m for Niasse who's been a bench warmer other than half a season on loan at Everton.

Now us 3 (Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle) don't have any of this PL TV money in our pockets and from what I gather from Barber interviews we don't automatically get all of our promotion cash straight in the bank. Burnley for example, who finished one place above relegation received £107.6m

I wonder if there is any plans to filter some of this new PL money into the promotion pot from Championship to give them that extra chance?

When Albion were in the Championship trying and eventually gaining promotion to the PL, nobody actually gave us a chance.
I don't recall anyone on here or elsewhere mentioning that we should have some of the spoils of the PL.
We've got there on hard work and general togetherness.
To the other two clubs, IMO, I couldn't give a toss.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Very early days but Huddersfield have got off to a good start, Newcastle won at the weekend and we are solid enough to suggest we are in with a chance if we start scoring.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
To say Huddersfield have got off to a good start is a bit of an understatement. They knew exactly who they wanted and despite the delay in their promotion caused by the play-offs they went straight for their targets and got them in before the players reported back for pre-season training thus giving them a real head start on us despite the play-off delay. Ok, their first 2 games were considerably easier than ours but they do have the advantage of a settled squad and have 2 out of the minimum 10 wins required to guarantee safety already in the bank.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Since the Neymar transfer earlier this month we've seen player prices sky rocket to mind boggling prices.
Have we though? We sold Ulloa for £8m three years ago - how much are average Championship strikers being sold for now?

We rejected 7 or 8 mil for Stephens, when he had one year left on his contract. How much are players like Stephens going for now?

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
These stupid prices don't exactly represent the quality of the players so yes you have a chance if you look around lower league and abroad, however shouldn't you have been doing that over the last few years ?

The secret (if there is one) appears to be to go with the spine of your Championship team...us and Burnley for example and then wing it..You've come up a bit light up front, yet had the time to address it no ?

That aside we've just bid £27 million for Demarai Grey and been turned down. ..so are now in the same trap as the rest and does it make me feel better...not really

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
These stupid prices don't exactly represent the quality of the players so yes you have a chance if you look around lower league and abroad, however shouldn't you have been doing that over the last few years ?

The secret (if there is one) appears to be to go with the spine of your Championship team...us and Burnley for example and then wing it..You've come up a bit light up front, yet had the time to address it no ?

That aside we've just bid £27 million for Demarai Grey and been turned down. ..so are now in the same trap as the rest and does it make me feel better...not really

Leicester activated the release clause in Gray's contract, reported as £3.7 million, in January 2016. He has made 42 appearances in a season and a half and scored one goal. He is undoubtedly a talent but I can't get my head around the prices being quoted this season.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

As an aside, do you have plans to move to a new stadium or improve in capacity terms the one you are currently in?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Anyone who saw Burnley v West Brom or Stoke v West Brom or Man Utd thrash Swansea or Newcastle v West Ham or Palace v Swansea will no doubt be of the opinion that those teams who you would expect to struggle will indeed struggle just as much as Brighton will struggle to stay up. So YES all teams have a chance, you just need to keep trying to improve and pick up points when you can. Brighton are a very average side at this level but so are at least 10 other sides

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
That went well.

Try Again. In a market where TV money was £1bn, a top, top striker was £50m. Now it is nearer £5bn TV money. The same strikers are around, but the clubs have much more cash, therefore to get the same striker, you have to outbid your rivals. Top, top striker is now £200m, and it all filters down. The same sort of players from last season are still there, but the clubs have more cash. You have to outbid your rivals if you want them. Got to be a player or agent to benefit. Rest of us pay more for TV and games - until you have had enough of course.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
As an aside, do you have plans to move to a new stadium or improve in capacity terms the one you are currently in?

Apologies a bit late...

New stadium site identified and plans going in the new year..... bang next to the current one on the old athletics stadium..25K all seater with council backing..allegedly.

New Academy / training ground being built at Canford Magna and plans submitted last week

We wait with baited breath however ...if we go down we expect nothing to happen...the cynical barstewards we are.....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think I read that it's about 50/50 on newly promoted teams staying up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course the three promoted teams have a chance. Every team in the PL has at some time won promotion to the top division (except Arsenal, who've never won a single promotion in their whole existence....some behind the scenes machinations got them 'invited' to rejoin the first division after they'd been relegated). So every team has a chance.

Except us, of course. We have the worst team ever to play at this level, we have the worst strike force the world has ever seen, we have an inept recruitment team and an owner who won't put his hand in his pocket to help us out. All these facts have been clearly established on NSC in the last few days by numerous football experts whose opinions cannot be questioned. We are doomed, doomed I tell you............

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here