Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOUT!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
GOUT. Just seen docs and looks like I've got it. Pretty severe pain through last night, couldn't sleep a wink. Anyone here had it? How long did it last, and what did you find helped ease the symptoms?

Cheers NSC.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
How old are you?

My friend was recently told he had GOUT turned out to be an infection in the bone.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I used to get it and still do very sporadically. You can expect it to last 5-10 days then disappear as quickly and usually as completely as it came.

My top tip is concentrated cherry juice from Holland & Barrett. It's not cheap but for me at least it's highly effective. Mix a tablespoon of it with natural yoghurt morning and night and it should help ease the pain considerably. Google suggests it may act pretty much the same way as ibuprofen does. At worst, you'll have some damn tasty yoghurts!

006813_A.png

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
GOUT. Just seen docs and looks like I've got it. Pretty severe pain through last night, couldn't sleep a wink. Anyone here had it? How long did it last, and what did you find helped ease the symptoms?

Cheers NSC.

There was a thread about it a while back.

Get a blood test (if you haven't had one already) ASAP. Allopurinol works for me (I'm on 300mg a day). I had my first attack in 2010 and I've been on it ever since and touch wood I've only had a handful of incidents since then. Attacks could last from a few hours to a few days. All you can do when you have an attack is painkiller yourself up to the eyeballs and ride it out. Some people say cider vinegar helps, others cherries. I'm not sure on either to be honest.

Different people have different triggers for me sadly it's red meat especially beef. It's very rare for me to have roast beef or a steak these day. Other people its different things. A mate of mine can't touch dark beer or red wine any more. I know with some it's seafood. If you can narrow it down to diet it can be controlled.

Concentrated cherry juice may help, it does for me sometimes.

Depending on the severity of the attack, and indeed how frequently it could now occur, it will be worth going to the Doctor to be treated, the pain can become debilitating and can come on without warning in the space of hours.

The doctor will probably prescribe you, to start with, either Narproxen or Dicoflenac, Narproxen works for me.

If attacks persist your doctor will probably give you Aluprinol, which on it's own can cause a Gout attack so you will need to take Colchocine alongside to mask the Aluprinol, colchocine has a rather nasty side effect though.

Causes:
De-hydration is a massive cause but certain foods will also trigger an attack, these foods you will come to learn and everyones triggers are different.

Mine include:
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Kidney
Liver
Mussels
Prawns
Crab
Marmite
Bovril
Mackerel
Haribo.

Edit:
Lager is fine, but any Dark beer is an almost instant (within 6 hours) trigger.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Would echo a lot of what has been said. The foods to avoid are those that are high in purinols - mushrooms, turkey, (chicken is fine), pork, all seafood. Never felt pain like it so a little compromising re diet is a small price to pay! Good luck.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My dad had it for years and had some stints of tremendous pain. Allopurinol helped somewhat, but it never went away until he had a knee replacement op due to an unrelated injury.
I remember going to A&E with him, and the doc syphoned TWO PINTS of yellow gunk out of his knee to relieve the pain.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Allopurinol is your friend

This. I used to get attacks of it every few months but was put on 200mg of Allopurinol (started on 100mg) a day and haven't looked back.

I used to find Guinness triggered attacks but keeping hydrated helped.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Concentrated cherry juice may help, it does for me sometimes.

Depending on the severity of the attack, and indeed how frequently it could now occur, it will be worth going to the Doctor to be treated, the pain can become debilitating and can come on without warning in the space of hours.

The doctor will probably prescribe you, to start with, either Narproxen or Dicoflenac, Narproxen works for me.

If attacks persist your doctor will probably give you Aluprinol, which on it's own can cause a Gout attack so you will need to take Colchocine alongside to mask the Aluprinol, colchocine has a rather nasty side effect though.

Causes:
De-hydration is a massive cause but certain foods will also trigger an attack, these foods you will come to learn and everyones triggers are different.

Mine include:
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Kidney
Liver
Mussels
Prawns
Crab
Marmite
Bovril
Mackerel
Haribo.

Edit:
Lager is fine, but any Dark beer is an almost instant (within 6 hours) trigger.

The funny thing with Gout, if there can be anything funny about it, the most horrendous pain you will ever have, is that it is brought on by many different things as highlighted above. However, in my case, I can eat most of the above and gout attacks were brought on by over ripe fruit and was the reverse of the above re drink. I narrowed mine many years ago down to lager whilst working in London. Turned to bitter and no problem. As many people on here have said go to your doctor and he will probably prescribe allopurinol. 300mg tablet once a day. I have taken this for about ten years and not had an attack since having been in pain for years previously. I am still careful with over ripe fruit and Lager but even that in small doses does not cause a problem as long as I stick to the medication. Gout and Arthritis are also linked so if you have both Naproxen is recommended to reduce inflammation. Do not take Naproxen on a daily basis as this can cause problems with the stomach taken over a long period. It really was a suck it and see situation with me. You will soon find the things that cause your gout and as others have said just leave out of diet. Good luck would not wish a gout attack on anybody. Those who have had one share your pain.

The funny thing with Gout, if there can be anything funny about it, the most horrendous pain you will ever have, is that it is brought on by many different things as highlighted above. However, in my case, I can eat most of the above and gout attacks were brought on by over ripe fruit and was the reverse of the above re drink. I narrowed mine many years ago down to lager whilst working in London. Turned to bitter and no problem. As many people on here have said go to your doctor and he will probably prescribe allopurinol. 300mg tablet once a day. I have taken this for about ten years and not had an attack since having been in pain for years previously. I am still careful with over ripe fruit and Lager but even that in small doses does not cause a problem as long as I stick to the medication. Gout and Arthritis are also linked so if you have both Naproxen is recommended to reduce inflammation. Do not take Naproxen on a daily basis as this can cause problems with the stomach taken over a long period. It really was a suck it and see situation with me. You will soon find the things that cause your gout and as others have said just leave out of diet. Good luck would not wish a gout attack on anybody. Those who have had one share your pain.

Wise words regarding Narproxen.

I have a reserve supply, prescribed by the doctor, of Narproxen, Colchocine and Lazaropole (for acid)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have been hugely dehydrated over the past few days (very stressful house move, dicky tummy) so that's most likely the main cause this time. Last night was agony, couldn't sleep a wink. Cocodamol is taking the edge off of it slightly. Was hoping to go up to London on Friday to see Interpol but might have to see how it feels.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Forget the advice, its nearly impossible to pin down the actual trigger even though science has found that its the consequence of uric acid and it would seem Allopurinol is the logical medication, but I have friends where this doesnt really ever eradicate it either.

I have put my tin helmet on as posters will swear that cherry juice, drinking plenty of water, no shellfish, no offal had a mate that had sworn it was cheese and onion on toast, Gout is a sporadic condition that by its very nature lends itself to hocus pocus.

If you are a regular drinker then there can nearly always be a link to drinking when the pain starts even though that logic rarely lends itself to the periods when you still drink and no gout, same with other foodstuff that have high levels of purines etc.

I have had bouts of gout when I have been abstaining from alcohol, rarely eating shellfish, offal training regularly and it has just occurred to me that I have had a period where I have been drinking a little bit too much booze, grazing on seafood and ignoring my fitness regime without any cherry juice passing my lips and have been gout free for more than a year, of course if I had believed in one of the many 'cures' then I would be falsely recommending it you.

My guess would be an overall healthy lifestyle might help, but cutting out or inviting in foodstuffs that you either wouldnt enjoy or not will only end up disappointing you.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
I get it every now and then and the only thing that will touch it is Naproxen. I have a large stash after a back operation, it literally gets rid of it within a few hours.

If you can get hold of diclofenac that's even better but its being phased out by GP's as linked to various ailments .

Mine seems to be related to eating fish, tuna etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks everyone for your contributions.

People saying it's worst pain they've ever known - I think acute (exposed nerve) toothache is a close one, and probably worse.

Red Marauder

Feb 15, 2012
As every one say it seems to be quite personal. For me dehydration is a major cause, but I also find celery seeds (capsules) work well as a preventative.

Has anyone tried a gout meter kit? I was told that uric acid levels showed as high a couple of weeks after an attack, so I'm not entirely sure how it works. That said being able to keep and eye on it is appealing.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here