Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Energy company

Members

Energy company

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking of switching from British Gas to another energy supplier, I assume that I shall have exactly the same service just can pay less to a different supplier than British Gas are charging.

E-on are who USwitch are suggesting but does anyone have any other opinions of the whole process of switching or of E-on. I've only ever used British Gas who in fairness have been pretty good

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Perkino View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm thinking of switching from British Gas to another energy supplier, I assume that I shall have exactly the same service just can pay less to a different supplier than British Gas are charging.

E-on are who USwitch are suggesting but does anyone have any other opinions of the whole process of switching or of E-on. I've only ever used British Gas who in fairness have been pretty good
      In my limited experience, USwitch seem to exaggerate the savings that you'd make by switching, and certainly not all the alternatives are given in their comparisons - I think they mainly have the big companies, not some of the smaller ones. I have no opinion on Eon, as I've not used them, I am currently with NPower, but they allegedly have the worst customer support - but I've never had need to call them, so I wouldn't know. I do still have British Gas for maintenance, which is quite expensive, but they've always been good and I get a yearly service included. I shall be looking to see if I can get a better deal again soon.
      Tricky-Art for perusal at your leisure. Warning : No Albion content (yet - maybe sometime)

http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/TrickyDicky

2 Not allowed!
      There was a recent thread on this.

Using switchwithwhich or moneysavingexpert will give you unbiased and not exaggerated price comparisons of the entire market.

1 Not allowed!
      We moved to Bulb (renewable energy provider) - 3 months ago. Really impressed with them (they're a startup - so all about the customer service.

Prompt customer service replies, can submit meter readings via email and get an update every month.

Were on a variable tariff - which may concern some people - but there is no exit fee. So if they do decide to hike (they've gone public for the past year stating that there is no need for these hikes by the big companies) - then we can exit and move to a better rate in the future.

Also received a £50 joining bonus for a referral. Assuming NSC not a fan of codes being plastered everywhere - but private message me and I can dig it out for you.

I used MoneySavingExpert's energy provider comparison tool to find them.

0 Not allowed!
      I would avoid all the big boys as they generally have appalling customer service, particularly NPower. I'm with Ovo and they've been great.

Also have a £25 voucher refer a friend code if anyone wants to PM me (assuming bozza doesn't mind).
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

Energy company

1 Not allowed!
      I've been with First Utility for quite a while and find them great.

The website is easy to use and provides all the information you could need about your energy use - assuming you provide regular meter readings. The mobile app has the same info and is easy for submitting readings by photographing the meter.

The potential savings uswitch have identified haven't tempted me away from the devil I know yet.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I've used Ovo which are decent. Rates look competitive, website is very good and ability to provide meter readings whenever so you only pay for what you use. After 12 months readings you can then average out your payments throughout the year to build credit over summer, use that surplus over winter.
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
      In my limited experience, USwitch seem to exaggerate the savings that you'd make by switching, and certainly not all the alternatives are given in their comparisons - I think they mainly have the big companies, not some of the smaller ones.
      Thats because they make £50 for every household who switches and therefore only show the suppliers you can choose through them. If you shop around you will find cheaper suppliers but they tend to be new companies and you take your chances with them.

Regardless though if you stay with your supplier and get put on a variable rate tariff you will be paying through the nose and you will save money switching.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The only switching site that I know gives you the correct information (especially if you are not at the end of your current contract) is Martin Lewis Cheap Energy club
      https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/...ergyclub/login

I have used Eon in the past. They are pretty good for service, but not always cheap. A lot of the time, it can be cheaper to use separate Gas and Electricity suppliers. I currently use Solarplicity for electricity and Zog for Gas.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I'm currently with British Gas too - on the Oct-17 collective fixed price contract.
      What I have noticed some of the comparison sites do is work out the savings based on still being with BG but on their standard tariff.
      If I look closely, the best deal, is more than I'm paying currently but shows a £300 saving
      Just need to be careful you're clear what the comparison is against.

BG are coming round next Fri to fit a "Smart Meter" [anyone got one?] - will this limit my options when I look to switch next month as I've heard not all suppliers support them yet?
      Anyone ITK with this?