Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Energy company

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm thinking of switching from British Gas to another energy supplier, I assume that I shall have exactly the same service just can pay less to a different supplier than British Gas are charging.

E-on are who USwitch are suggesting but does anyone have any other opinions of the whole process of switching or of E-on. I've only ever used British Gas who in fairness have been pretty good

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm thinking of switching from British Gas to another energy supplier, I assume that I shall have exactly the same service just can pay less to a different supplier than British Gas are charging.

E-on are who USwitch are suggesting but does anyone have any other opinions of the whole process of switching or of E-on. I've only ever used British Gas who in fairness have been pretty good

In my limited experience, USwitch seem to exaggerate the savings that you'd make by switching, and certainly not all the alternatives are given in their comparisons - I think they mainly have the big companies, not some of the smaller ones. I have no opinion on Eon, as I've not used them, I am currently with NPower, but they allegedly have the worst customer support - but I've never had need to call them, so I wouldn't know. I do still have British Gas for maintenance, which is quite expensive, but they've always been good and I get a yearly service included. I shall be looking to see if I can get a better deal again soon.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
We moved to Bulb (renewable energy provider) - 3 months ago. Really impressed with them (they're a startup - so all about the customer service.

Prompt customer service replies, can submit meter readings via email and get an update every month.

Were on a variable tariff - which may concern some people - but there is no exit fee. So if they do decide to hike (they've gone public for the past year stating that there is no need for these hikes by the big companies) - then we can exit and move to a better rate in the future.

Also received a £50 joining bonus for a referral. Assuming NSC not a fan of codes being plastered everywhere - but private message me and I can dig it out for you.

I used MoneySavingExpert's energy provider comparison tool to find them.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I would avoid all the big boys as they generally have appalling customer service, particularly NPower. I'm with Ovo and they've been great.

Also have a £25 voucher refer a friend code if anyone wants to PM me (assuming bozza doesn't mind).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've been with First Utility for quite a while and find them great.

The website is easy to use and provides all the information you could need about your energy use - assuming you provide regular meter readings. The mobile app has the same info and is easy for submitting readings by photographing the meter.

The potential savings uswitch have identified haven't tempted me away from the devil I know yet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've used Ovo which are decent. Rates look competitive, website is very good and ability to provide meter readings whenever so you only pay for what you use. After 12 months readings you can then average out your payments throughout the year to build credit over summer, use that surplus over winter.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
In my limited experience, USwitch seem to exaggerate the savings that you'd make by switching, and certainly not all the alternatives are given in their comparisons - I think they mainly have the big companies, not some of the smaller ones.

Thats because they make £50 for every household who switches and therefore only show the suppliers you can choose through them. If you shop around you will find cheaper suppliers but they tend to be new companies and you take your chances with them.

Regardless though if you stay with your supplier and get put on a variable rate tariff you will be paying through the nose and you will save money switching.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The only switching site that I know gives you the correct information (especially if you are not at the end of your current contract) is Martin Lewis Cheap Energy club
https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/login

I have used Eon in the past. They are pretty good for service, but not always cheap. A lot of the time, it can be cheaper to use separate Gas and Electricity suppliers. I currently use Solarplicity for electricity and Zog for Gas.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm currently with British Gas too - on the Oct-17 collective fixed price contract.
What I have noticed some of the comparison sites do is work out the savings based on still being with BG but on their standard tariff.
If I look closely, the best deal, is more than I'm paying currently but shows a £300 saving
Just need to be careful you're clear what the comparison is against.

BG are coming round next Fri to fit a "Smart Meter" [anyone got one?] - will this limit my options when I look to switch next month as I've heard not all suppliers support them yet?
Anyone ITK with this?

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm currently with British Gas too - on the Oct-17 collective fixed price contract.
What I have noticed some of the comparison sites do is work out the savings based on still being with BG but on their standard tariff.
If I look closely, the best deal, is more than I'm paying currently but shows a £300 saving

BG are coming round next Fri to fit a "Smart Meter" [anyone got one?] - will this limit my options when I look to switch next month as I've heard not all suppliers support them yet?
Anyone ITK with this?
Have had a smart meter with BG for about year and a half, no meter readings, bang on accurate bills etc etc. However am trying Eon for 12 months as they reckon based on my last 12 months usage I could save hundreds (we will see) no issue with having a smart meter as will have to revert to the old fashioned way of meter readings.

HankSkorpio

Jan 2, 2011
Eastbourne

Anyone ITK with this?

I'm also on the Oct 17 collective contract with BG. They offered to fit a smart meter but research indicated this would limit who I could change too, so cancelled the installation.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Think I used MoneySupermarket and went with Robin Hood for Leccy & Zog for Gas(maybe other way round!).....never heard of either but switch over was smooth and havent had any probs so far plus saving load on the bills!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I've just switched to Ecotricity from Npower. Npower's customer service is awful - being put on hold with tinny music playing at loud volume and a call can take 30 minutes. Even after I thought I'd switched Npower objected to Ecotricity on the grounds I hadn't settled the final bill. They sent me an email after I'd paid it. This was a delaying tactic designed to make me ring them again in order to keep me as a customer. When I'd pointed out that I'd paid the call taker started giving me the big sell. I said I might be interested if they could better Ecotricity. At this point the call taker said my call would have to be transferred to another person. Cue five more minutes of music before a Geordie male said he'd look into it before being put on hold with more music. At this point I put the phone down - 30 minutes of life wasted.

I'm now waiting for smart meters to be installed by Ecotricity which when done will make life a lot easier but I've been waiting since 22nd August for their call.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Anyone ITK with this?

Smart Meters are (currently) tied to the supplier who installed them. If you switch to another supplier then the smart meter the previous supplier installed then gets used as a regular meter and the new supplier will probably start hassling you to come round and switch to their smart meter.

All suppliers are desperately trying to get customers to get smart meters by 2020 otherwise they get hit by fines by the Government. Unfortunately the roll out has been less than smooth which hasn't been helped by the suppliers not being able to agree on a standard smart meter which they can all use.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I'm also on the Oct 17 collective contract with BG. They offered to fit a smart meter but research indicated this would limit who I could change too, so cancelled the installation.

No it doesn't. You're free to switch to whoever you want when your current tariff ends. The smart meter BG installs just loses its 'smart' capabilities if you switch and the new supplier will want to come round and install their own meter.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We moved to Bulb (renewable energy provider) - 3 months ago. Really impressed with them (they're a startup - so all about the customer service.

Prompt customer service replies, can submit meter readings via email and get an update every month.

Were on a variable tariff - which may concern some people - but there is no exit fee. So if they do decide to hike (they've gone public for the past year stating that there is no need for these hikes by the big companies) - then we can exit and move to a better rate in the future.

Also received a £50 joining bonus for a referral. Assuming NSC not a fan of codes being plastered everywhere - but private message me and I can dig it out for you.

I used MoneySavingExpert's energy provider comparison tool to find them.

I've moved to Bulb as well they seem very reasonable and environmentally friendly

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All suppliers are desperately trying to get customers to get smart meters by 2020 otherwise they get hit by fines by the Government. Unfortunately the roll out has been less than smooth which hasn't been helped by the suppliers not being able to agree on a standard smart meter which they can all use.

smart meters are a farce, any fines will certainly be dropped (EU directive), evidence is they dont reduce power usage, they are insecure, aforementioned problem with standards, and fitters are bearly trained peice workers who'll likly leave you with a fire risk. avoid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here