Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean Capacity

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Was just wondering what the capacity of our Theatre of Trees was over the years.

I know the capacity was increased throughout out time there, but does anyone know which seasons and by how much. Unfortunately, I was too young to know the ins and outs of capacities at the time until the last couple of seasons.

Is it true that it was sold out for every game in the first couple of seasons?

Cheers

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The capacity varied between approx 6,000 and 8,000 during our tenure there I believe, and yes, in the first couple of seasons it was virtually impossible to get a ticket for love or money.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The capacity varied between approx 6,000 and 8,000 during our tenure there I believe, and yes, in the first couple of seasons it was virtually impossible to get a ticket for love or money.

For the first couple of seasons there was nothing at one end apart from a hammer-throwing net, so they gave the away fans the corner stand. I seem to remember most matches were pretty much sold out then, when the capacity was around the 6,000 mark I think.

Who can forget the great first match back in Brighton? First game of the season, beautiful sunny day, won 6-0 with Brighton-born Darren Freeman getting a hat-trick... Fans in the South Stand stomping their feet to make the sound of an express train for some reason (?!).

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yes, it was definitely selling out for the first few seasons. Though attendances really did start to drop the year we got relegated from the Championship 2005/2006 (i think). I remember Harty's phone in used to be dominated by the bums on seats epidemic. Mid-week, our crowds really dropped. I think we started getting crowds as low as around 3,000 during those miserable seasons in league 1 when players like Bas Savage were crowd favourites.

Amazing how things have changed.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Wasn't it just the North and South Stands initially? Then we had the North East corner for away fans and that totally pointless little pocket of seats next to the police box. Then much later the West/Worthing Stand for away fans and the East Stand stuck next to the old away section. Can't remember years specifically but fairly confident of that order. I do remember for sure that the Palace game in 05 was the first for the new away end as I personally got dogs abuse from the dirty ***** from where I was sat in the North Stand. God knows how they could single out one person from that distance.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, it was definitely selling out for the first few seasons. Though attendances really did start to drop the year we got relegated from the Championship 2005/2006 (i think). I remember Harty's phone in used to be dominated by the bums on seats epidemic. Mid-week, our crowds really dropped. I think we started getting crowds as low as around 3,000 during those miserable seasons in league 1 when players like Bas Savage were crowd favourites.

I'm sure it never dropped as low as that. We were getting that many for some home games at Gillingham when we were bottom of the football league.

Would be interested to know what the lowest Withdean attendance was. I think at Gillingham is was around 850 for a midweek game (v Barnet or Peterborough?).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the lowest-ever home attendance at the Goldstone was 1,100 for the boycotted match against Mansfield.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it true that it was sold out for every game in the first couple of seasons?
Home end, yes, but if the away fans don't sell out then it shows as being under capacity.

Also, bear in mind that we reported the actual attendance, so if you bought a ticket (or ST) and couldn't go, it made it look like it wasn't sold.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If my memory is correct:

First season was just the North and South Stands - away fans in the north corner.
Added the new away end , adjacent to the North Stand - this was sometimes split with home fans if the away attendance was small
Added the tiny stand under the clock
Added the big away end at the hammer throwing end
Added a final stand next to the 'old' away end , which became the family stand.

Attendance for first game vs Mansfield - 5,882
Attendance for Play off Game vs Swindon - 6,876
Game v Palace (3-2 defeat) - 7,273
Final Game vs Huddersfield - 8,416

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

The highest capacity was 8,850 before the little stand behind the east goal was burned down. The record attendance was the 8,729 against Man City in the cup (September 2008) - of course attendance was bums on seats in those days.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think the lowest league match withdean attendance was about 4,800 under Adams MK2 or Slade? That would have been with the stadium having a roughly 8.8k capacity?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The key word in my post being league...

Do you actually know what Withdeans lowest league attendance was?

Considering we only managed 1,740 against Boston in the JPT. I'd be interested to know what some of the Withdean attendances were which clashed with the champions league matches shown live on TV. From my memory, the crowds did seem very low and it did become a big talking point.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here