Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone notifications

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As well as discovering I'm behind the times when it comes to WhatsApp, I reckon I'm also not keeping up when it comes to notifications on my phone.

Firstly, my phone NEVER beeps or buzzes if something happens.

Secondly, I think the only thing that will make it flash up a notification when locked is the arrival of a text/iMessage message. Nothing from Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp (obviously) nor any other app will alert me of activity. In fact, they don't notify me when my phone is unlocked either.

How much stuff does your phone alert you of, and do you have beeping or buzzing for extra annoyance?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Loads... email apps (x3), Tapatalk message/quote, Ebay updates, Facebook messenger, Whatsapp, cricket scores/wickets from CriInfo, football lineups/scores from BBC sport for starters

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
As well as discovering I'm behind the times when it comes to WhatsApp, I reckon I'm also not keeping up when it comes to notifications on my phone.

Secondly, I think the only thing that will make it flash up a notification when locked is the arrival of a text/iMessage message. Nothing from Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp (obviously) nor any other app will alert me of activity. In fact, they don't notify me when my phone is unlocked either.

How much stuff does your phone alert you of, and do you have beeping or buzzing for extra annoyance?

My phone buzzes plenty if I let it. Have it set to Do Not Disturb most of the time at work and if I'm asleep though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You're not still trying to use an Apple are you?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Loads... email apps (x3), Tapatalk message/quote, Ebay updates, Facebook messenger, Whatsapp, cricket scores/wickets from CriInfo, football lineups/scores from BBC sport for starters

Why do you need 3 (three) email apps, and do they alert you of every bloody email?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Text, email and only a couple of app notifications for me. Got so fed up with random app notifications that I went through them and turned 95% of the feckers off.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're not still trying to use an Apple are you?

Well, yes. And I can not wait for the next iPhone which should be coming our way in a few weeks.

That's not really the point though, it's more that I don't feel the need to be alerted of anything at all really (I generally don't even notice when a message arrives) but I notice that some other people's phones seem to be lit up like Christmas trees.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Phone permanently on silent (vibrate off) unless expecting a call. Lock screen notifications for texts and whatsapp, icon only for anything else.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Why do you need 3 (three) email apps, and do they alert you of every bloody email?

Preference for different providers (BTYahoo, GMail and 1&1) and yes... every bloody email (alert but no sounds) - hundreds a day!

#fomo

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I use notifications for SMS, Whatsapp and Facebook messages. The app I use most in this respect though is twitter. That is fantastic if NSC or the club tweets something interesting about a new signing etc. I use the Bluetooth in my car as well and that reads the notifications from sms and twitter out loud. It can't cope with reading #bhafc very well lol!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Preference for different providers (BTYahoo, GMail and 1&1) and yes... every bloody email - hundreds a day!

#fomo

This has reminded me that I could probably do with a notification if I receive an email from the club, as it's useful to be able to make a "look at me" post when a new player signing is about to be announced but I often don't see the media release until the news has broken. I'm now off to see if I can get gmail to give me a notification if an email is received from a specific address.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, yes. And I can not wait for the next iPhone which should be coming our way in a few weeks.
The top new iPhone will cost a bomb, but should be great. Will look well cool.

That's not really the point though, it's more that I don't feel the need to be alerted of anything at all really (I generally don't even notice when a message arrives) but I notice that some other people's phones seem to be lit up like Christmas trees.
I generally just have notifications for text and whatsapp (and obviously calls).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Alerts:
Breaking News from a couple of places.
Several football apps (red cards, goals, line ups, results) for - mostly - Albion games.
Various Twitter, Facebook and Instagram alerts
Text Messages
Whats App - but i don't use it that much.
oh and if someone quotes my posts on NSC (via Tapatalk)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I get notifications but I don't have sound or vibration turned on. Some of my WhatsApp groups in particular are quite "chatty" and the phone going off constantly is beyond annoying. I could mute those particular groups but I find it easier to have a blanket "Hush phone, HUSH" policy.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Notifications (iPhone 5C)

Texts
BBC Sport with England, & Sussex cricket wickets, scores, and England/Brighton line ups, and scores
Live Football (free app)with England/Premier League/Brighton as favourites, and will add the FA cup later
Twitter replies and mentions

I get red dots on Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and a Weather app

I don't bother with Whatsapp very much although I have it.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Recently turned on twitter notifications on twitter for nsc and naylor so I'm always at the aware when nothing is happening.

Worth turning naylor off during matches tho

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have the same alert for Sky footy, text and WhatsApp.
A separate one for email.
Tapatalk did it's own bloody thing, until I uninstalled it :laugh:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
This has reminded me that I could probably do with a notification if I receive an email from the club, as it's useful to be able to make a "look at me" post when a new player signing is about to be announced but I often don't see the media release until the news has broken. I'm now off to see if I can get gmail to give me a notification if an email is received from a specific address.

I'm sure you can do that.

Or turn on BHAFC Official Twitter notifications?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Most apps I turned notifications off for and think it's only SMS that is vibrates for now. Rather not let my phone rule my life so instead let the notification icon appear at top of screen and check them occasionally rather than interrupt me. A few social media things, such as twitter, I no longer have an app for and instead log into web version on phone browser as that reduces amount of interruptions too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here