Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pau Lopez - 3rd Choice Keeper

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So we're to have 3 joint first choice keepers - all nearly good enough to be first choice, all pissed off if they're not first choice. Great.

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
So we're to have 3 joint first choice keepers - all nearly good enough to be first choice, all pissed off if they're not first choice. Great.

Think it's called competition. Useful to have when your current number 1 has demonstrated an ability to balls-up on a couple of occasions inside first two games.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Thats what the club have been saying they wanted all summer so this is no surprise

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Now you know why Stockdale left......probably. I imagine he'd be very close to a recall if he'd stayed and started off as number two.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
How tall is he? �� But seriously we need a good shot stopper and someone who can come for crosses to alleviate the pressure.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If we get this guy would be surprised if he is third choice. Plays regularly in La Liga, something Ryan couldn't manage.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I expected the 3rd choice to be an older experienced keeper. This, if true, seems a bit more like direct competition for Ryan.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
So on initial reading of article I thought great, young hungry and adjusted to English football - not through games but lived here for a year and integrated etc - and happy to come back for more.

Start reading Wikipedia entry and think oh Espanyol blooded him for a whole season and then new manager didn't fancy him so he went out on loan.

Here's the Espanyol record covering a couple of seasons either side of him keeping nets all season (15/16):

0a044faca692d3a3593154776e2ad468.png

They shipped 20-24 more goals on average with him in goal than not. (74 v 50, 51,51 and 52)

You can't convince me they went from having an ok defence to a shit one just for that season.

I'm not convinced on this one!!

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Would assume loan if true given age and club's thoughts on Walton as our keeper long-term.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He would be a very impressive signing in my view.

If we signed him I would expect him to be ahead of Maenpaa (and I like, and rate, Maenpaa) at the very least.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
You can't convince me they went from having an ok defence to a shit one just for that season.

I'm not convinced on this one!!

Why not? Happened to us under Hyypia. And Espanyol in that season had two managers neither of whom lasted more than 6/7 months

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How can you moan at this? Incredible.

Ryan is not good enough.
Well if our record signing is not good enough, surely that's something to moan about?
Not sure if serious?
A little tongue in cheek, but many a true word spoke in jest I guess. Obviously not complaining that Niki is a backup, he's good. If we're looking to replace Ryan, then obviously it's disappointing that Ryan isn't good enough. Not that I expect the club to do nothing about it, obviously it's better than to replace him that stick with a mistake, but surely it's understandable to be disappointed if Ryan was an expensive mistake (not something I had taken as a given)?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Being pissed off if they are not first choice could be a blessing in disguise . . . it may just drive them that bit harder to grab that first team shirt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here