Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty in football

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
When Chris Wood left Leeds their fans went into meltdown. He went from Messiah to Disloyal Donkey in a fraction of a second. It's a typical reaction from fans - we've done it many times.

But it's a very one-eyed view of loyalty isn't it.

If, as looks likely, Tomer Hemed is now surplus to requirements, we'll "ship him out" without a second thought. Lots of people on here calling for him to be a make-weight in the deal for our next striking saviour. Not a moment of hesitation - just a pawn in the big game. Where's the loyalty there? Of course, there isn't any - and we all know that.

But next time you find yourself foaming at the mouth about a player who has moved on for a better deal, remember that there isn't any loyalty in football. Just results. And that cuts both ways.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Selling Hemed and keeping Muzza will be the biggest mistake we make this summer. Which is ironic really when the last big mistake we made up top was shipping out Muzza for CMS.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When Chris Wood left Leeds their fans went into meltdown. He went from Messiah to Disloyal Donkey in a fraction of a second. It's a typical reaction from fans - we've done it many times.

If, as looks likely, Tomer Hemed is now surplus to requirements, we'll "ship him out" without a second thought. Lots of people on here calling for him to be a make-weight in the deal for our next striking saviour. Not a moment of hesitation - just a pawn in the big game. Where's the loyalty there? Of course, there isn't any - and we all know that.

But next time you find yourself foaming at the mouth about a player who has moved on for a better deal, remember that there isn't any loyalty in football. Just results. And that cuts both ways.

Agreed. Same applies with managers. People often moan when their manager moves to a bigger club but these are no doubt the same people who, when the team has a bad run, are calling for the manager to be sacked.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Selling Hemed and keeping Muzza will be the biggest mistake we make this summer. Which is ironic really when the last big mistake we made up top was shipping out Muzza for CMS.

Why will it be ?

Murray is better than Hemed 90% of people agree with that.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

From what I've read on here and out and about, people are mostly sad that he won't be given a chance and might be leaving?

So your post is directed at a minority and unnecessary. As for leeds fans, to be expected surely.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
good post, I think loyalty is very much held in the context of who is in the position of power. If it's the club (because the player is deemed surplus) the fans are usually ok. If it's the player (because the player is wanted by other clubs and is key for the team) then the fans are normally irked by it.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's a very good point. If we'd have failed to get promoted last year and Hemed had put in a transfer request in the summer saying that he wanted to play in the Premier League, most of us would have been annoyed. Now we're there and it seems like we can get someone better, most people are happy to cast him aside. It's just another example of most fans only being able to look at thing from their point of view.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm hoping he'll stay.
He will have to adjust to the frontline competition, which is good.
There's no guarantees that Sam Baldock will make a full recovery just yet, again he'll have to wait his turn.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm in the 10% then that think Hemed will provide more for us this season and beyond. Murray undoubtedly better prior to now of course.

Lets be honest, if we manage to stay up I doubt either of these players will be with us to start another season.

And I dont believe we would or should keep a player as he would be useful back in the Championship, thats just giving up before we start.

But for this season if i could only have 1 then Murray wins hands down, he is just a much better player all round, has Premier League experience and scores more goals.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
The only loyalty in football is from the fans.

Who turn on the players at the first couple of dodgy performances at a higher level that they're not used to yet.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd start worrying about this when you're paid at least £500k-£1m per year for a hobby.

Honestly, what's the salary of the prime minister? It's less than £200k per year, and think of the crap they get.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The only loyalty in football is from the fans.

To the club, yes of course. But to players? In the two weeks after the start if this season, rather than stand by our players after a tough start, 90% of new threads on here (as an example) are calling for players to be dropped, sold or benched. Skalak, Bong, Propper, Hemed, Ryan, Murphy, Suttner, Stephens, Towell: All slated on here.

I'm not saying we should blindly support our players,and they shouldn't be above critique, but loyalty is also standing by them in tough times not turning on them when they've barely kicked a ball in anger.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Commitment and attitude are much more important than loyalty when it comes to modern football and Hemed has these in abundance. Stephens made his position clear as did we and at no point did he let us down last season. If Hemed goes I wish him all the best and I am certainly not champing at the bit to sell him. If he stays I hope he adjusts and has a great season. Loyalty could be perceived as lacking ambition or being trapped in the comfort zone.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But fans reserve the right to have double standards AT ALL TIMES! Now, do carry on... :)

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'd start worrying about this when you're paid at least £500k-£1m per year for a hobby.

Honestly, what's the salary of the prime minister? It's less than Tomer Hemed, for sure!

It annoys me when people say stuff like this. Yes, being a footballer must be an amazing life, but I don't see how anyone can say that they don't work hard to get where they are. Look at how many who have the talent don't make the grade- that says it all.

I enjoy my job, it doesn't make it a hobby.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here