Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was besieged three times yesterday by a group of youths, each wearing a hi viz jacket, espouting the needs of Great Ormond Street Hospital. I say three times because the first couple of times l was busy to listen to what they had to say, but they kept coming back. and they basically asked me to commit to paying a set amount of money to the charity each month.

Now I think everybody already knows the wonderful work, and the virtue, of what this particular hospital does, but the problem is that there are so many worthy charities in the world, and l cannot possibly afford to support every one.

I contribute to two charities as it is, the British Epilepsy Association, (of which l am a sufferer), and also Compassion, a Christian charity from whom we sponsor an underpriviliged little girl in Uganda.

I would also like to pick and choose any charities that l may wish to support at my leisure, rather than being coerced into it on my doorstep. Am l hard? am l the only person to feel this way? Silly, l know l shouldn't feel guilty for turning them away, but somehow l do.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was besieged three times yesterday by a group of youths, each wearing a hi viz jacket, espouting the needs of Great Ormond Street Hospital. I say three times because the first couple of times l was busy to listen to what they had to say, but they kept coming back. and they basically asked me to commit to paying a set amount of money to the charity each month.

Now I think everybody already knows the wonderful work, and the virtue, of what this particular hospital does, but the problem is that there are so many worthy charities in the world, and l cannot possibly afford to support every one.

I contribute to two charities as it is, the British Epilepsy Association, (of which l am a sufferer), and also Compassion, a Christian charity from whom we sponsor an underpriviliged little girl in Uganda.

I would also like to pick and choose any charities that l may wish to support at my leisure, rather than being coerced into it on my doorstep. Am l hard? am l the only person to feel this way? Silly, l know l shouldn't feel guilty for turning them away, but somehow l do.

Your guilt is, I think, entirely natural, and is, of course, why chuggers are employed. Rationally, one shouldn't feel guilt, but lots of people do.

If it helps, you can think of my donations to GOSH as partially yours, providing I can think of yours to the epilepsy charity and supporting the Ugandan girl as partially mine! :smile:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Your guilt is, I think, entirely natural, and is, of course, why chuggers are employed. Rationally, one shouldn't feel guilt, but lots of people do.

If it helps, you can think of my donations to GOSH as partially yours, providing I can think of yours to the epilepsy charity and supporting the Ugandan girl as partially mine! :smile:

It's a deal! :bowdown:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All you need to remember is the chuggers are on commission so anything you sign up with them, they are taking a cut of... No thanks!

If you want to donate do it directly. I ignore chuggers and just keep walking

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you already give to GOSH and most other headline charities, though taxes. government give near £15bn a year to charities in the form of grants, and mostly that goes to the big names. so dont feel bad when you brush off the chuggers (huge commissions not going to the charity anyway), support those groups you want to directly.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
you already give to GOSH and most other headline charities, though taxes. government give near £15bn a year to charities in the form of grants, and mostly that goes to the big names. so dont feel bad when you brush off the chuggers (huge commissions not going to the charity anyway), support those groups you want to directly.

Very much this and don't feel guilty. You're doing your bit.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

They have been in Horsham as well.

As a former patient @ GOSH , I absolutely love them, but think knocking on someones door and asking for money is too much.

Don't feel guilty at all.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The chaps who knock on your door are always agency, guilt tripping is what they're employed to do.

I donate to Guide Dogs and RNIB as I'm blind in one eye. RNIB affiliated chaps at my door, I explain I'm a monthly donor, did they care? no they tried making me sign up to regular donations anyway...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here