Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In retrospect

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should we have tried to sign Jermain Defoe?

From my standpoint it was a big no early in the close season but seeing how much we are spending on unproven players, it might have been an idea to have at least one with good Premier League experience. The wages might have been a problem with the squad but no transfer fee would have been good?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Come on Stat, you'll have to do better than that, why not? Wages and the rest of the squad being pissed or something else?

He'll definitely score goals, but I think paying someone so much more than the rest of the squad is asking for trouble. Plus there's no chance of any sell on value- all the new guys we've signed, if one of them has a great season then they'll suddenly be worth a fortune, which could pay for next season's entire transfer kitty. Signing Defoe would have ripped up our whole model.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I suspect he would have been as likely to choose us over Bournemouth as Bobby would have been to choose Bournemouth over us when he came back, so its probably a moot point in any case.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Far too early for retrospection when the unproven players at the business end of the pitch haven't even had a game yet.

It was not a complaint about who we've signed or what they have or haven't done, just a question about bringing in experience in this division. Murray aside we have non up front :shrug:

Am I alone in thinking it's a bit risky? Of course we may still bring someone in with experience, there's a week to go.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He'll definitely score goals, but I think paying someone so much more than the rest of the squad is asking for trouble. Plus there's no chance of any sell on value- all the new guys we've signed, if one of them has a great season then they'll suddenly be worth a fortune, which could pay for next season's entire transfer kitty. Signing Defoe would have ripped up our whole model.
I sort of agree, except to say that he won't DEFINITELY score goals. If he does, then I'd think it might have been worth making an exception to our business model. I'm not convinced at all.

To get a goal guarantee at this level, you need to pay £30m these days, maybe more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would have been a very expensive gamble as regards his age etc not his ability but I am not sure that he would have been the answer to just add another 33+ striker to our numbers. I am quite excited at the prospect of those that we have signed and at least one of them being the hit we are looking. for Having said that I know it sounds mercenary but if we received a good offer for Hemed, as has been reported, I would have looked at replacing him with a similar type target man either Peter Crouch for 1 season or somebody like Ulloa for 2 or 3. I wouldnt be surprised if CH brings in a young striker probably on loan before the deadline like Jesse Lingard at Man Utd, who is not featuring for them or similar from a top 6 club.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I sort of agree, except to say that he won't DEFINITELY score goals. If he does, then I'd think it might have been worth making an exception to our business model. I'm not convinced at all.

To get a goal guarantee at this level, you need to pay £30m these days, maybe more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

He's about as proven a striker in the Premier League as there is, and even has a better than 1 in 3 ratio at international level. He will score goals.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It was not a complaint about who we've signed or what they have or haven't done, just a question about bringing in experience in this division. Murray aside we have none up front :shrug:

That old duffer Tomer Hemed has played 100 times in La Liga scoring 27 goals in that division including goals against Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Sevilla and Valencia.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I find that when signing in retrospect, I get better results waiting until the end of the season :wink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is a good chance but no guarantee of a goalscorer as we could go to Chelsea and pay his wages and take Diego Costa on loan until Christmas before they sell him to Athletico Madrid but if we cannot get the ball to him quick enough he wouldnt score goals and he is as certain to as anybody.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There is a good chance but no guarantee of a goalscorer as we could go to Chelsea and pay his wages and take Diego Costa on loan until Christmas before they sell him to Athletico Madrid but if we cannot get the ball to him quick enough he wouldnt score goals and he is as certain to as anybody.
I'm pretty sure we won't be getting Costa. Just a hunch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's about as proven a striker in the Premier League as there is, and even has a better than 1 in 3 ratio at international level. He will score goals.
He has a proven record, yes. But he's 34 so provides no guarantee of goals anymore, IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here