Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC One - Gareth Thomas v Homophobia: Hate in the Beautiful Game

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just finished watching this and have to say Gareth Thomas has bravery in vast amounts for taking his stance. At the end he arranges a meeting on BBS with online homophobes. Not a single one turns up to the meeting place - keyboard warriors.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Just finished watching this and have to say Gareth Thomas has bravery in vast amounts for taking his stance. At the end he arranges a meeting on BBS with online homophobes. Not a single one turns up to the meeting place - keyboard warriors.

I just watched that programme and I am one of the most PC people you could ever come across who watches football.

I admire Gareth Thomas for what he has done for Sport on this issue. I even know some of the younger footballers that were alluded to within the film but within the film there was an allegation that there was an ''Agenda'' within the film and Gareth himself and I think there was. There are many people who have spoken out in support of his view and against Homophobia within football and within that film he had the opportunity to bring them to the table . The BBC, or he chose not to and that gave weight to the people who challenged him in the on line statements

Justin Fashanu's niece stated that it needs a David Beckham or a Lionel Messi to come out is support. Yes she is 100% correct it does but Joey Barton has already come out in support. The researchers for this programme should have got someone like him involved in this film because by not doing so it tends to suggest that no one is listening on this subject and the reality is that there are people taking an active stance if you do the right research.

People like CH and Ian Wright have fought the corner on the Anti Racism issue and they still do. You need these people to stand by you and not just people who will do a one interview for a film.

Yes Joey Barton is not David Beckham or Lionel Messi but he has a few million followers on Twitter and his views on the homophobia issue are all positive.............Gareth , next time you want support on your campaign. Joey Barton is not the greatest role model in the world. But he is a footballer and he supports what you are trying to achieve without receiving a penny for his efforts.

Take advantage of it. And by the way this is not a pro Joey Barton Post, It's just that I didn't like credence given to that Crystal Palace fans post on line.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I just watched that programme and I am one of the most PC people you could ever come across who watches football.

I admire Gareth Thomas for what he has done for Sport on this issue. I even know some of the younger footballers that were alluded to within the film but within the film there was an allegation that there was an ''Agenda'' within the film and Gareth himself and I think there was. There are many people who have spoken out in support of his view and against Homophobia within football and within that film he had the opportunity to bring them to the table . The BBC, or he chose not to and that gave weight to the people who challenged him in the on line statements

Justin Fashanu's niece stated that it needs a David Beckham or a Lionel Messi to come out is support. Yes she is 100% correct it does but Joey Barton has already come out in support. The researchers for this programme should have got someone like him involved in this film because by not doing so it tends to suggest that no one is listening on this subject and the reality is that there are people taking an active stance if you do the right research.

People like CH and Ian Wright have fought the corner on the Anti Racism issue and they still do. You need these people to stand by you and not just people who will do a one interview for a film.

Yes Joey Barton is not David Beckham or Lionel Messi but he has a few million followers on Twitter and his views on the homophobia issue are all positive.............Gareth , next time you want support on your campaign. Joey Barton is not the greatest role model in the world. But he is a footballer and he supports what you are trying to achieve without receiving a penny for his efforts.

Take advantage of it. And by the way this is not a pro Joey Barton Post, It's just that I didn't like credence given to that Crystal Palace fans post on line.

Good post. Of course there was an agenda but I think it needed to be done. I shouldn't be amazed in the 21st century such views exist but I am unfortunately.

It is not friendly bantz as some of these guys profess. Hopefully in time they might just change their views if they listen to people such as Gareth Thomas.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Gareth Thomas is great rugby player shame he was welsh whoops not very PC I did get a little bit upset being reminded about Justin It was sad. However I was sitting with Norwich fan in the Lego stand when he broke Andy Rolingson nose and the abuse he recieved from the Brighton Fans directed at him because Black was awful.
I think rugby may have managed these type of situation better than football.
However I did giggle when the Brighton Fan said we retaliate with you to ugly to be gay and 1-0 to the Nancy boys. This country gay attitude has moved on we need football fans to grow up but don't sterilse football chants to much but remember our crowds are more family orientated .

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Just watched it on iPlayer and you are spot on. Going to one of our games is like shooting fish in a barrel but he didn't really show any other examples of it going on at games. Facebook/twitter trolls will always be that and are there having a dig at anyone in the spotlight.

The American lad specifically said he was more worried about coming out to his team mates because he feared abuse from them would be worse than on the terraces but he didn't really follow that up and seemed content on having a dig at fans and the FA.

Anyone know what the fall out was with the charter he had drawn up?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Good post. Of course there was an agenda but I think it needed to be done. I shouldn't be amazed in the 21st century such views exist but I am unfortunately.

It is not friendly bantz as some of these guys profess. Hopefully in time they might just change their views if they listen to people such as Gareth Thomas.

This.

It could have been more "balanced" and given more credence to the positive steps that have been taken, but I think an end product which suggested this was anything other than a serious problem that football has not got a handle on wouldn't send the right message out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here