Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sainsbury's Debit Error

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Bought just over £13 of goods in Sainsbury's yesterday, single contactless transaction on debit card, only £3 was taken from my account and no card transaction deductions are pending on the account. All good when it's this way round but shows that you should always check your account activity just in case.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
When using contactless, sometimes it can not show in your pending transactions for a few days.

Indeed. The transaction can 'stay on the terminal' for a period. The retailer does not 'check' with the bank for these type of transactions, the bank just guarantees it will pay them whether there is funds in the account or not.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When using contactless, sometimes it can not show in your pending transactions for a few days.

But why would one transaction be split into more than one deduction? They're surely not going to take the £3, as they already have from my account, and then take the rest at a later date? I only used the card once in there.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
But why would one transaction be split into more than one deduction? They're surely not going to take the £3, as they already have from my account, and then take the rest at a later date?.....

Are you sure you didnt buy something at Sainsburys for £3 in the last 5-7 days?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Bought just over £13 of goods in Sainsbury's yesterday, single contactless transaction on debit card, only £3 was taken from my account and no card transaction deductions are pending on the account. All good when it's this way round but shows that you should always check your account activity just in case.

I have had customers who will not use contactless because they can't keep track of what they have spent.
One customer told me all transactions appear as 99p before the full amount is taken days later.
Another claimed their Macdonalds took nearly a month to come out of their account.
I assume you will have another £10 debited soonish.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have had customers who will not use contactless because they can't keep track of what they have spent.
One customer told me all transactions appear as 99p before the full amount is taken days later.
Another claimed their Macdonalds took nearly a month to come out of their account.

Yeah I guess so.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

This is why i dont use it after having issues with money coming out at much later dates. Still get funny looks when people at checkouts\bars etc ask me if they can use contactless and i say no id rather use my pin. Musch easier to keep track of all transactions.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
No, Justice's post above may explain it though. Just seems an odd way of doing it.

Tescos do the same for online shopping. When you place your order they charge a small amount to your card. Then take the rest when they actually pick your order. It is a way to ensure that the card is not stolen or cancelled.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
GEEK ALERT
Contactless transactions are not authorised online, and so doesn't hit your bank/credit card companies' systems until the merchant "uploads" their transactions from that day or session.

Any PIN transaction is sent to the bank/CC for a decision on the validity of the transaction so hits the billing systems immediately.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Being a retailer I can confirm that maybe 1 in 20 transactions actually get authorised via the terminal 'talking' to the bank, that is it phones them for authorisation. In these cases I have to ask the customer to wait a minute whilst I get authorisation.
The other 19 just say authorised without actually calling the bank. The machine then calls the bank overnight and reels through all the card sales for that day.
For me, I get my money as long as it is authorised, whether or not you have the money in the bank to pay.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Being a retailer I can confirm that maybe 1 in 20 transactions actually get authorised via the terminal 'talking' to the bank, that is it phones them for authorisation. In these cases I have to ask the customer to wait a minute whilst I get authorisation.
The other 19 just say authorised without actually calling the bank. The machine then calls the bank overnight and reels through all the card sales for that day.
For me, I get my money as long as it is authorised, whether or not you have the money in the bank to pay.
What do you sell?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here