Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How did the young'uns do?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Seems like the game itself against Barnet wasn't great but we had four of the U-23's playing, three of them teenagers and three of them making their debuts for us and two of them making their professional debuts.

We got a goal from one of them but that aside how did Mateju, Molumby, Tilley and Connelly do?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
All did well
Molumby was a bundle of energy until he faded at about 75 minutes - he had a very good game.
Mateju was steady and looked good
Tilley scored and continued his impressive form from the u23s
Connolly was marked by a giant in the Barnet back line so was not as able to make much impression - some nice touches though

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
All did well
Molumby was a bundle of energy until he faded at about 75 minutes - he had a very good game.
Mateju was steady and looked good
Tilley scored and continued his impressive form from the u23s
Connolly was marked by a giant in the Barnet back line so was not as able to make much impression - some nice touches though

This

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Molumby easily the pick of them. A bit Dean Hammond'esque, lots of short crisp sideways passes. Constantly wanted the ball and not at all overawed. Barely a misplaced pass from him all night and a lovely through ball to Rosenior that led to the goal.

Tilley looked raw. Took his goal well. Didn't notice Mateju too much but he was on the other side of the pitch to me. Connolly came on at 1-0 when we were sitting back. He's tiny, so got nothing out of Santos and Clough, two typical brutish Leagie 2 centre halves.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Molumby very impressive and MOM for me
Tilley scored the goal but did lttle else although he tried which is more than can be said of most teamates.
Mateju looked competant and tidy but nothing special.
Connolly looked lost and didnt win a ball against a giant CB appears too small to play as a target man maybe as a support striker in the Baldock role.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Molumby easily the pick of them. A bit Dean Hammond'esque, lots of short crisp sideways passes. Constantly wanted the ball and not at all overawed. Barely a misplaced pass from him all night and a lovely through ball to Rosenior that led to the goal.

Tilley looked raw. Took his goal well. Didn't notice Mateju too much but he was on the other side of the pitch to me. Connolly came on at 1-0 when we were sitting back. He's tiny, so got nothing out of Santos and Clough, two typical brutish Leagie 2 centre halves.

Agree with you about Molumby and Tilley. I was in the East stand, so saw quite a bit of Mateju, who impressed me. He's a very competent right back, and has good positioning.
Connolly is short, but looks as though he can take care of himself, so wasn't overawed.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Molumby looked very good and composed/aware and as mentioned his through ball pass to Rosenior was quality.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It all sounds promising. Hopefully it's the start of the academy coming good. It'll be interesting to see if any of them get more game time over the next couple of seasons.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
All did well. They all seemed keen to get involved and wer e hungry for the ball which was encouraging. Agree with the praise for Molumby, even if he did fade towards the end, he looked a very composed and assured player. Tilley I've been a fan of since I first saw him a couple of years back. Also impressed with Mateju who looked very handy coming forward and Connelly gave a competitive display even if he had little support form a withdrawn midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here