Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pitch width?

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I thought the Amex pitch width was based on Wembley ie. one of the widest. It looked like vs A.Madrid we had narrowed the pitch. Was it the same vs Man. City? Would have thought with our wide talent, wider would be better?

Thought that pitches looked narrowed at Wembley and at Etihad on TV as well. Is this a trend?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It looked exactly the same to me from WSU. Presumably anyone who sits in the North Stand in line with either corner flag/sideline would be able to confirm?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I thought the Amex pitch width was based on Wembley ie. one of the widest. It looked like vs A.Madrid we had narrowed the pitch. Was it the same vs Man. City? Would have thought with our wide talent, wider would be better?

Thought that pitches looked narrowed at Wembley and at Etihad on TV as well. Is this a trend?

No it hasn't.

Exhibit A: two seasons ago in the post Shoreham game v Blackburn

8042eaacc597191872ed248bea5136a9.png

Exhibit B:

V Man City this season

2df59701b6ffb70b8634b398dce694df.png

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Apologies. For A. Madrid I was high in East Stand for the first time, must have been the different perspective.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
The wide pitch stuff goes back to the Gus days - to help his passing style .
The definite change came when CH arrived- I remember commenting as such to my mate at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The wide pitch stuff goes back to the Gus days - to help his passing style .
The definite change came when CH arrived- I remember commenting as such to my mate at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There hasn't been any change to the pitch size as far as I know, in fact it's now bigger than Wembley, as spurs have reduced the width by 1m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here