Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T iPad screen repair - quality of back street screens?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My gf's iPad screen is smashed. To get it repaired by Apple is ~£300; a new iPad (with her discount) is £321. It looks like (with very little research so far) I can get it repaired by a back street Johnnie for around £100.

Presumably the glass that the back street chap will use is much less good than the official Apple glass, but is it "good enough", or would I be wasting my money? Also - if the answer is "it's ok", does anyone have a recommended place in London?

TIA

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The replacement screens are generally OK and barely discernible from an Apple original but quality control can sometimes be an issue with the button dislodging or coming loose etc. I've had 2 repaired over the last few years and in both cases the adhesive used to secure the screens eventually weakened and the screens started to separate from the iPad. Two months ago my sons iPad mini screen cracked so I thought bugger it how hard can it be to replace the screen. Got one on Amazon for around £18 and did it myself, took a couple of hours and it fits and works perfectly. I wouldn't recommend DIY unless you are confident in taking stuff apart and fixing it and there are some bits that are delicate and tricky with small components but well worth the 18 quid i spent over a new iPad or £100 repair cost.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
If you are in Brighton or can post, these guys are the dong iphonefixerbrighton.co.uk

They'll probably do it again for you if you're not overjoyed by the initial result

There ain't a massive difference between the Apple and peasant screens. Most of them come from the same factory

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here