Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Airshow Disaster - on this day in 2015

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There but for the grace of God.

Indeed - I remember it VERY well, waiting up all night to hear about my children. RIP all those that lost their lives and heart felt sympathies to those loved ones left behind.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
We played Blackburn that day, my son and I left Worthing ten minutes early cos of the air show, and the plane came down ten minutes after we passed the lights at the airport.

There but for the grace of God.

I'd completely forgotten who we played that day and remember next to nothing of the game. But the efforts of the club (on and off the pitch) in the immediate aftermath and that continue to this day for those affected, have been monumental and inspiring. I thought the tributes arranged for the following Hull game were an absolutely credit to everyone involved with the club amidst huge public attention and emotion.

So when we lose a couple of games in the Premier League, I think back to this day and put things in perspective. I believe that every player gives 100% when they pull on our shirt and that each and every person (staff, fan, JCL) pulling #together in good and bad times (or from Hereford to Here if you prefer) is what makes our club so special.

Onwards to Watford, with those lost today firmly in my thoughts as a Shoreham resident.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
First I heard of it was getting to falmer and a mate of mine saying he heard a plane had killed a cyclist, little did we know..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Matthew Grimstone, he worked as a groundsman at the training ground. He and Jacob Schilt were travelling together on their way to play for Worthing on the day of the disaster. Both Jacob and Matt played alongside Lewis Dunk for Varndean. Jacob's father taught me science at Varndean in the early 90's when I attended the school, was a great teacher.

We poignantly caught the marvelous Matthew Grimstone Sussex by the Sea bus back to the park and ride, after our fantastic win on Sunday. Jacob has one as well (I think his may be the AITC one).

Attachments

• DSeagulls .jpeg
    DSeagulls .jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 418

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A sad day indeed.

When some of us make a misjudgement we maybe spill some milk / wine / beer.
But if you make a misjudgement whilst doing aerobatics, sadly the consequences are far greater.

As freakish as this accident was [all those fields and open spaces yet he hit a busy road] I'm also still surprised the victims were all male ....

RIP all of them !

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
A sad day indeed.

When some of us make a misjudgement we maybe spill some milk / wine / beer.
But if you make a misjudgement whilst doing aerobatics, sadly the consequences are far greater.

As freakish as this accident was [all those fields and open spaces yet he hit a busy road] I'm also still surprised the victims were all male ....

RIP all of them !

I need to be careful with my words but misjudgement??????? If I drive through a gap when I am driving and hit another car, can I say oops sorry misjudged that or is it simply me cocking up?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
And the pilot still walks free and the Argus still use the picture of him with a smug grin.

They're out of order there. Totally out of order. Continually beating the man publically, albeit to a small percentage who know the Argus continues to exist, is inappropriate.

I need to be careful with my words but misjudgement??????? If I drive through a gap when I am driving and hit another car, can I say oops sorry misjudged that or is it simply me cocking up?

He cocked up by making a misjudgement. It was human error, and he's paying the price for it in his private life and the trial is going to be national news.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
They're out of order there. Totally out of order. Continually beating the man publically, albeit to a small percentage who know the Argus continues to exist, is inappropriate.

I haven't picked up a copy of that paper – or looked at the website – since 24th August 2015, when they ran a graphic image of the crash on the cover with 'The day it rained fire' as the headline. Totally misjudged the mood for the sake of sensationalism and extra sales. Utter tw@ts in charge of that decision.

RIP to the 11 and thoughts are with their families.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

He cocked up by making a misjudgement. It was human error, and he's paying the price for it in his private life and the trial is going to be national news.

He will have many questions asked of him in court.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Popped into the memorial garden in Lancing this morning. Only found out about this place a week or so ago. 11 trees planted in a circle around a memorial stone. Simple and effective.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done, the club – that video gets me every time.

I walked over the Toll Bridge this morning and it was a bit sad seeing no tributes or anything other than half a bunch of dead flowers next to the memorial stone or by the arches. RIP to the 11 men who lost their lives because of that tragic incident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here