Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Airshow Disaster - on this day in 2015

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Its unbelievable how quickly two years has passed...

Victims of that dreadful day......

Jacob Schilt 23, and Matthew Grimstone also 23

Wedding chauffeur Maurice Abrahams, 76, of Woodingdean; retired engineer James Graham Mallinson, 72, of Newick; window cleaner Mark Trussler, 54, of Worthing; cycling friends Dylan Archer, 42, of Brighton, and Richard Smith, 26, of Hove; NHS manager Tony Brightwell, 53, also of Hove; grandfather Mark Reeves, 53, of Seaford; personal trainer Matt Jones, 24; and Daniele Polito, 23, both of Worthing.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My fiancée and I were there that day, certainly doesn't feel like two years have passed.
I have to go past the exact spot we were standing every day for work and my heart sinks every time.
It will stay with me for some time I think. Tragic loss of life.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Those two years have passed so quickly and my sympathy lies with the family and friends of those who died and anyone affected by this terrible event.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Those two years have passed so quickly and my sympathy lies with the family and friends of those who died and anyone affected by this terrible event.

Seconded

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was talking to an RAF careers chap at the weekend, who'd just come back from the Eastbourne air show.
He was explaining that the Red Arrows could only do so much of their display, mainly because of the low cloud that was 5000ft and the news rules, post Shoreham.

It's mad how it's two years, seems like only yesterday since that terrible event :(

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Also find it hard to believe that terrible tragedy was two years ago now. You can only those directly affected at least get the inquest they deserve as soon as possible, and see any police/CPS decisions arrived at so they know what's going on.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We played Blackburn that day, my son and I left Worthing ten minutes early cos of the air show, and the plane came down ten minutes after we passed the lights at the airport.

There but for the grace of God.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
As it is exactly two years ago today, and we have a match, I was wondering if The Albion are planning any sort of memorial gesture. Not a minute's silence type thing, but perhaps a moment with photos of the victims on the screen, before kick off.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
As it is exactly two years ago today, and we have a match, I was wondering if The Albion are planning any sort of memorial gesture. Not a minute's silence type thing, but perhaps a moment with photos of the victims on the screen, before kick off.

Wasn't one of the victims an employee of the Albion and was on his way to the Amex for the match?

I could be wrong but I thought he worked as a groundsman and also played in the same school football team as Dunk?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn't one of the victims an employee of the Albion and was on his way to the Amex for the match?

I could be wrong but I thought he worked as a groundsman and also played in the same school football team as Dunk?

Matthew Grimstone, he worked as a groundsman at the training ground. He and Jacob Schilt were travelling together on their way to play for Worthing on the day of the disaster. Both Jacob and Matt played alongside Lewis Dunk for Varndean. Jacob's father taught me science at Varndean in the early 90's when I attended the school, was a great teacher.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We played Blackburn that day, my son and I left Worthing ten minutes early cos of the air show, and the plane came down ten minutes after we passed the lights at the airport.

There but for the grace of God.

Similar story..... I was picking up my brother in Sompting and was a bit late. he said "Do you want a bowl of soup, or shall we go straight off?" We opted to ge straight off.

As we were taking our seats in WSU, I received a text from my wife: "Are you OK? Some sort of accident at Shoreham".

While I was waiting to turn off the A27 at Hill Barn in Sompting, I had seen a plane doing a loop the loop ahead of me near the Airport and found myself thinking "That must be perilously close to the road."

And there's a lot on the Argus website today about whether the pilot should be prosecuted, and why it's all taken so long. If it had been an RTA - Causing death by dangerous driving, I would guess.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thoughts with the victims' families and friends on a difficult day. My cousin was driving just after it happened around Shoreham.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
How many people died? How about a minutes applause on that minute. Or even better (if it was 16) we do 16 minutes of applause from the 16th to 32nd

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
How many people died? How about a minutes applause on that minute. Or even better (if it was 16) we do 16 minutes of applause from the 16th to 32nd

That would be a lovely touch but clapping for just a minute can feel like a fair amount of time. 16 minutes and our arms would be really aching tomorrow. Also a likelihood of a goal. Possibly 30 seconds silence and 30 seconds clapping?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Still something I think about often....no-one will ever forget that day, or the victims.
We had just arrived in Cornwall (went past the airport early that morning) & had put the TV on....I just sat there and cried seeing those images on screen.

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here