Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can the Albion create and score enough goals to survive?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Ok so 2 games gone, no disgrace in losing to City - favourites and Leicester Champions 2 seasons ago, away.

Both games have shown an overwhelming lack of creativity or chances for the Albion is the doubt. Murray bless him, looked every one of his years, and Hemed really isn't up to this is he, though he did get the only good shot on target.

Most teams go down through conceding too many goals, I think Brighton have the opposite problem based on the albeit early evidence?

Can this be fixed with the current squad, or do we have to spend yet more money, and wisely? (I note Lawrence is/was Derby bound and Wood Burnley bound)

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
In our current state.

No.

I'm not too concerned by us losing to Leicester away and the title favourites at home. I'm concerned about the lack of creativity and attacking threat we pose, Propper needs to be dropped and let Sidwell, with Propper coming in at the later stages. There is something about the new signings that makes me wonder if Hughton is playing them because they're record signings, like he did with Wolfswinkel at Naarrwich.

My biggest concern, is no new signings before the window shuts. Although by the sounds being made, we are looking for a few more signings looking like they're coming in - if they don't, I'm afraid we're down by Christmas but we'll be going down toothless.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ok so 2 games gone, no disgrace in losing to City - favourites and Leicester Champions 2 seasons ago, away.

Both games have shown an overwhelming lack of creativity or chances for the Albion is the doubt. Murray bless him, looked every one of his years, and Hemed really isn't up to this is he, though he did get the only good shot on target.

Most teams go down through conceding too many goals, I think Brighton have the opposite problem based on the albeit early evidence?

Can this be fixed with the current squad, or do we have to spend yet more money, and wisely? (I note Lawrence is/was Derby bound and Wood Burnley bound)
Think most knew we'd struggle to score goals because our strike force are not good enough and are to slow and our central midfielders are no way goner create many goals.

Think we will be waiting a long time for a win sadly or will get a lot of luck in sneaking a win :)

No way will we survive as we've still got to deal with the injuries yet and the cover is poor let's be honest.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
As a professional gambler, I wonder how much of our estimated £200M windfall Tony Bloom will be tempted to put down on the table?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think this team can score against other Premire teams but are not at the moment for several reasons

1. Lot of new players from other leagues thrown straight in is to much to expect them to adapt so quickly in the days of our last time in the top flight we would sign players and oftern not see them for weeks while they settled in.
2. If we had played ManCity or Leciester last year we would have given them a right good run for their money because we would have expected to loose and just gone for it that outlook has changed this year.
3. We had to good a preseason sounds mad but we were starting to believe our own hype.
4. We finished last season poorly at the time we thought it was just the team hung over but we should have been professional enough to finish the job we had enough chances.

Are we good enough time will tell I think the signings are potentially all very good given time we miss AK and Stevens needs a partner until Propper settles in (gets up to speed)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
As a professional gambler, I wonder how much of our estimated £200M windfall Tony Bloom will be tempted to put down on the table?

A gamble isn't all about what you spend, it's about saving money too.........

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
In our current state.

No.

I'm not too concerned by us losing to Leicester away and the title favourites at home. I'm concerned about the lack of creativity and attacking threat we pose, Propper needs to be dropped and let Sidwell, with Propper coming in at the later stages. There is something about the new signings that makes me wonder if Hughton is playing them because they're record signings, like he did with Wolfswinkel at Naarrwich.

My biggest concern, is no new signings before the window shuts. Although by the sounds being made, we are looking for a few more signings looking like they're coming in - if they don't, I'm afraid we're down by Christmas but we'll be going down toothless.

Yeah agree im afraid, i think we could do a Middlesborough and not concede many but toothless upfront - they went down with a whimper

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem seems to be who will score as neither Murray nor Hemed look like they will. Both are much too slow for this division and too predictable and for fear of getting slated I would bring in Ulloa as an upgrade on both, either loan or buy if not too expensive, until then we have 10 days to sort it out.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The new signings do need time and it would probably be better to ease them in with somebody like Sidwell as a partner. They will come good, as long as they are not destroyed by the critics who already seem to have it in for Gross, Propper & Ryan.

A couple of seasons ago we played at a slow pace from the back. We seem to have gone back to this, loads of possession, loads of passing backwards & side wards. If you have 4 or 5 players doing this in our own half then the opposition are happy to sit back and have their 10 outfield players mark our other outfield players, good odds as 2 on each player. It also means our forward players cannot make runs because the ball is not being released. Last season we hit loads of teams on the counter with quick attacks, we need to get back to that.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Too early to judge as

1) Our most creative player Knockaert has not started a game yet

2) The top class winger we have smashed our transfer record has not started a game yet

3) Our striking pace weakness the club are addressing has not been resolved yet

4) Our summer signings are still adjusting to the pace of the premier league

5) Our players from last season are still adjusting to the pace of the premier league

Going to be a slow burner this season for all the reasons above but too early for panic and once the above has resolved itself we have the tools to score at this level

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Knocky will create chances when he is fit , other than that we are relying on Izqueirdo to show some creativity even though we all know nothing about him . We definitely need another pacey strong striker though. I dont think ulloa fits that mould

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A balance needs to be struck. At the moment we're playing too defensively and losing, creating very little in the process but keeping the score respectable. There will come a stage when we'll have to open up and risk losing in order to win. I expect that will happen when we've got our new quick, strong striker in the team along side the flying Izquierdo and a fit Knocky, until then expect cagey football with little excitement or goal threat.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Too early to judge as

2) The top class winger we have smashed our transfer record has not started a game yet

5) Our players from last season are still adjusting to the pace of the premier league

Going to be a slow burner this season for all the reasons above but too early for panic and once the above has resolved itself we have the tools to score at this level

Just post this after every idiot comment about Gross and Ryan being the worst players in the world, CH being inept and out of his depth, Bloom being a tight ass, Leicester being an easy away point etc etc. SO you'll need to post it perhaps 4 or 500 times this week. But the penny might drop eventually.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Too early to judge as

Only problem with this point is that you could say the same for Huddersfield and Newcastle, yet Hudds brushed aside Palace, and Newcastle were pretty much matching Spurs until Shelvey's moment of madness. We've been miles away from being competitive in both games so far.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can the Albion create and score enough goals to survive?
Yes.

That's not to say we will (although I personally believe we will) but we can. Time alone will tell whether we do or not.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Only problem with this point is that you could say the same for Huddersfield and Newcastle, yet Hudds brushed aside Palace, and Newcastle were pretty much matching Spurs until Shelvey's moment of madness. We've been miles away from being competitive in both games so far.

Palace played 3 at the back against a team who plays two very wide players which was a huge mistake. Spurs and Man City are two very different sides the latter of which is playing possession based football but we contained them well for 70min. Leicester was never going to be easy when you press the self destruct button inside a minute.

We are two games in without our full starting 11 and against 2 recent champions. Bit early to be making assessments about either ours or our relegation rivals chances yet

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
No surprises so far, actually pleased the gulf isn't bigger.

You can see the lessons to be learned with each game, but that elusive striker with pace would help and Jose will hopefully help take the pressure off the back if he's good enough in possession. Whether the rest of our team are good enough we'll see. I'm still amazed by how Bruno continues to be such a force for us. As for the other new signings, it never really pays to rate them harshly too early, they usually make a fool of early observations by turning out to be rock solid investments. I recall the anti-Stockdale brigade before they became the Stockdale please don't go party.

Whether we'll do enough of the right signings, learn the lessons, make the changes quick enough will determine how much damage the first half of the season does to our survival hopes. I suspect we'll come back around for some more changes in January. Until then I'm expecting to remain philosophical and take deep breaths. The media are being kind, as you'd expect, fortunately Chris isn't a controversial figure so suspect that good will may go some way with most hoping he'll get the Brighton boat sailing in broadly the right enough direction to just about survive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here