Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic Leicester fans

pal4life

Sep 6, 2008
My son was at yesterday's game against Leicester and he has told me that the homophobic torrent of abuse from there fans was the worst he has seen. Why is it that with all the talk nothing ever happens to stop it.
The thing is you never hear it on the medias coverage, but you do in the ground. The stewards don't want to get envolved and I guess the police don't so as to avoid a potential fight.
So what is the answer?
Do we ignore it and hope it stops or should the Police make arrests?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
My son was at yesterday's game against Leicester and he has told me that the homophobic torrent of abuse from there fans was the worst he has seen. Why is it that with all the talk nothing ever happens to stop it.
The thing is you never hear it on the medias coverage, but you do in the ground. The stewards don't want to get envolved and I guess the police don't so as to avoid a potential fight.
So what is the answer?
Do we ignore it and hope it stops or should the Police make arrests?

The police should make arrests. We pay taxes so that they can arrest criminals.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Sadly true of many grounds. What didn't help yesterday though was a small minority of our fans baiting the Leicester fans then screaming for a policeman.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not defending it, not arguing for it or whatever, genuine question: What does it make you feel when you hear homophobic comments and chanting directed at you?
I'm not gay so it doesn't particularly offend me, I do get a bit of a feeling of "honestly, why are they getting away with it"? But beyond that it simply has no effect on me. What does it make others feel?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I'm not defending it, not arguing for it or whatever, genuine question: What does it make you feel when you hear homophobic comments and chanting directed at you?
I'm not gay so it doesn't particularly offend me, I do get a bit of a feeling of "honestly, why are they getting away with it"? But beyond that it simply has no effect on me. What does it make others feel?

I'm not black but if I heard racist chanting it would offend me. Homophobic chanting must be treated similarly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It doesn't offend me (although it might if I had children with me), but then I'm not gay so it's unlikely to. I know that it will upset some people though, so I'm not going to just turn a blind eye. It's wrong and it should be stopped.

Sure there will be some who think being offended on the behalf of others is pathetic, but minorities shouldn't have to stand alone against prejudice.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The police should make arrests. We pay taxes so that they can arrest criminals.

Something like this is difficult to ''police'' and difficult to ''steward''. Any action always needs to be take retrospectively - Racism has been challenged for years and we have still not eradicated it but there have been very large fines imposed on clubs in countries like Poland and Russia in Race Issues because Authorities are taking Racism more seriously these days. They are not doing so with Homophobic Abuse.

Recording the chants and reporting it and compiling a dossier for 12 months or 24 months is a decent start but what that is saying is. Put up with it for 2 years then we will have a few meetings to see what we can do about it.

If Brighton fans want to try and stop is sooner. Contact the club and ask them if they will pay the legal fees to raise ''Private Prosecutions'' - Subpoena the police surveillance footage from the offending club and take out Private Prosecutions. Then clubs will take it a bit more seriously. If you don't then I am afraid it will take the best part of 20 years to sort out sadly

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not black but if I heard racist chanting it would offend me. Homophobic chanting must be treated similarly.

Not asking how it should be treated, it should be stamped out. Asking how it actually makes people feel?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here