Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conor Hourihane

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Weird.
I was going to talk about this yesterday but didn't.
I watched him on quite a few occasions at Argyle and he was clearly far above that division and League 1, I said we should go for him.
I thought he was better than Barnsley but it was a good move to find his feet at that level and was not surprised he went to Villa.
He really is a very good player from midfield, he has everything in attack, midfield and he can defend, real box to box stuff.
Whether we need him or not now is debatable, but I still wish we had got him 3 years ago.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Weird.
I was going to talk about this yesterday but didn't.
I watched him on quite a few occasions at Argyle and he was clearly far above that division and League 1, I said we should go for him.
I thought he was better than Barnsley but it was a good move to find his feet at that level and was not surprised he went to Villa.
He really is a very good player from midfield, he has everything in attack, midfield and he can defend, real box to box stuff.
Whether we need him or not now is debatable, but I still wish we had got him 3 years ago.

Sounds like we should have paid £10m for him rather than Pröpper then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not convinced he would be so effective in the Premier but I am sure that given time Propper will. My concern in midfield at the moment, and I am great fan of his, is how many times Stephens is getting caught in possession by needing too much time.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I am not convinced he would be so effective in the Premier but I am sure that given time Propper will. My concern in midfield at the moment, and I am great fan of his, is how many times Stephens is getting caught in possession by needing too much time.

Yeah and also Stephens slows our attacks down quite a few times - passing backwards or sideways far too much

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I bet a lot of people said that when Vardy came from Stevanage.
Or Delli from MK Dons.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or Delli from MK Dons.

That is what makes succesful managers those who make a decision and it proves to be right but how many sign a player for Xmillion and it proves a bad decision. Even managers of the caliber of Wenger, Mouriniho and Sir Alex have done it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That is what makes succesful managers those who make a decision and it proves to be right but how many sign a player for Xmillion and it proves a bad decision. Even managers of the caliber of Wenger, Mouriniho and Sir Alex have done it.

It must be an awful lot easier to monitor players from the English leagues though, (Vardy and Delli Ali are good examples). I wonder how often, and over what period of time the likes of Ryan or Izquieido were watched for. Probably not as often, and not for so long.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it was during Gus time that we had a scout based in Europe. Zaragrande or similar name.

Could Fabian Delph be a similar type option? I was going to suggest Sami Nasri but his wage would probably be stupid by our standards.

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Or Delli from MK Dons.

Vardy from Stevenage? Forest Green for £1m I believe. Lots expected of him at that price at that time and from non league.

Deli was a class apart and clearly so.

Both completely different from this guy. Question I have is that if we really are interested why now? Why not when he was at Barnsley and available?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here