Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Put Knockaert in the number 10 role?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It's harsh to say it after two games but I can't see Pascal coming up to this level. Okay he hasn't had much chance to shine but he is slow and not strong enough to compete.

So why not stick Knockaert in the number 10 role. It gets him more involved than if he is just out on one wing, he has the pace to go over the top, and the trickery to create something for Murray/Hemed or someone else?

Izquierdo can then slot in wide, March the other side. I'd be surprised if that didn't bring us some goals.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
José Izquierdo will probably be plonked there. Knockaert and March couldn't do it in the Championship so it won't work in the Premier League

It is actually criminal that we haven't addressed this problem over the last three seasons. Getting promoted brushed it under the carpet but we have been without cover, for injury prone Baldock, for that long now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Haven't we tried this before? If I remember rightly it wasn't successful.

That is the answer as he has proved to not be happy and as effective playing that role as when out wide. The problem we have is GM is looking old and slow but lets get Izquiredo on and hopefully some crosses into the box for GM or TH to attack and I am sure that Gross will pick up the lay offs.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Tried it and didn't work.

The answer is to sign a couple of top quality strikers but we've known that all summer

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I think this could work, and suggested it last season. CH tried it in one game and unfortunately Knocky had a quiet game - but I still think it's worth giving him a run out in that position Although I do think Knocky would need to adapt his game because you can't afford for him to be looking to dribble and take people on all of the time in this position as it would cost us possession and would need him to be able to spot and deliver quick passes and through balls to the striker. It's definitely something he could do though IMO.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure what this 'no 10' role really is, we need someone up who has pace and can score goals AK has both those attributes. However I guess he is not playing because he has been seen as not fit enough.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
José Izquierdo will probably be plonked there. Knockaert and March couldn't do it in the Championship so it won't work in the Premier League

It is actually criminal that we haven't addressed this problem over the last three seasons. Getting promoted brushed it under the carpet but we have been without cover, for injury prone Baldock, for that long now.

I tried saying this earlier in the summer that our failure to add quality in the number 10 role last season was going to cause issues as we need a number 10 and a number 9 imo.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
March is better in the middle/right than he is on the right, certainly not as effective as Knocky on the wing.

What about Brown in the number 10 role with Izquierdo on the left and striker X up front, 4-4-1-1?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's harsh to say it after two games but I can't see Pascal coming up to this level. Okay he hasn't had much chance to shine but he is slow and not strong enough to compete.

So why not stick Knockaert in the number 10 role. It gets him more involved than if he is just out on one wing, he has the pace to go over the top, and the trickery to create something for Murray/Hemed or someone else?

Izquierdo can then slot in wide, March the other side. I'd be surprised if that didn't bring us some goals.
......or, alternatively, we could leave our best player playing in the position he plays best?

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Nice to see everyone’s giving the new guys a chance and not just finding a new Skalak[emoji23] ****ing hell this board is a joke sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No. Why is there such a clamber to replace players playing in an entire new country in the most difficult league in the world after 180 minutes of football?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

our failure to add quality in the number 10 role last season was going to cause issues as we need a number 10 and a number 9 imo.

Criminal ?

PS: So what exactly have Izquierdo, Brown, and Gross been signed for do you think ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Very harsh. He wasn't awful against City, but he was dreadful yesterday.

Knockaert hasn't worked playing centrally before for us, so it's a 'no' from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Izzy Brown will be no10 I hope, I got shot down in flames for even suggesting He was better suited to the roll the Gross last week

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No. Why is there such a clamber to replace players playing in an entire new country in the most difficult league in the world after 180 minutes of football?
I would have thought that was obvious!

The sages of NSC know more about football than the entire management of BHA and indeed the premier league :)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Brentford at home last year I believe.

Yep - and that went well.

Hughton had plenty of opportunities to do this last year and never did. On the numerous occasions Baldock was out injured he always played Murray and Hemed together which never looked or felt right either.

Ironic that Hogan murdered us that day - he would have been ideal this season.....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Criminal ?

PS: So what exactly have Izquierdo, Brown, and Gross been signed for do you think ?

Izquierdo has played secondary striker/No.10 three times in the last three seasons.

He has been signed as a left winger and is an emergency option (like Skalak, Murphy, March & Knocky) in the centre when Baldock, Brown & Groß are injured or out of form.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here