Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any ZX Spectrum fans?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Had to record some videos today including some loading screens that had been created especially for the film. Thought I would see how it was done and came up with this. Took my mind off the score for 2 minutes if nothing else.

Gumbo

Feb 18, 2009
haha that brought back some memories.. didnt it usually end with error-did not load or something similar

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wow that sound! Brings back memories.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
haha that brought back some memories.. didnt it usually end with error-did not load or something similar

R Tape Loading Error, I believe.

I volunteered to do the game videos as I had done it for a bigger film and this was one guy on a shoestring budget. Thing is, the film is called Memoirs of a Spectrum Addict. I went to the premiere in Cambridge a couple of months ago and that was full of Spectrum fans. The slight problem is that I was, and remain a Commodore boy! It was like sitting in the home end, hoping not to be uncovered..

On the upside, I got the Albion in the film at least once, scoring in Football Manager.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I've still got some ZX Spectrum games tucked away in the garage. Don't suppose anyone would want them now?!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Had to record some videos today including some loading screens that had been created especially for the film. Thought I would see how it was done and came up with this. Took my mind off the score for 2 minutes if nothing else.

Is that our season loading? Gets there in the end.....

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Ha! Good work!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
**spit** Commadore 64 fan !!!!
At least we can both laugh at the Amstrad boys. And beat up the swot BBC owners. And snigger at the poor Dragon owners

I must admit that since I have been collecting and been involved in a couple of films, my appreciation for the Speccy has gone up. The C64 is far and away better hardware with the keyboard, SID chip for sound, disk drive and cartridges and hardware sprites. But it has washed out colours compared to the others and was a lot more expensive. The Speccy probably had more soul.

In the next couple of weeks, I should be getting this.

https://www.specnext.com/

It is a board that fits in the original case and is an attempt at creating what would have been the next Spectrum. It is compatible with the original but also has an advanced mode that gets rid of the famous colour clash, has more memory and colours, HDMI output, SD card slot etc. It can also be accelerate with a Raspberry Pi Zero. Probably not got the wide appeal of the Vega which was just a load of old games aimed at people who had a slight fondness for the Spectrum but raised a fortune on Kickstarter and will keep Sir Clive's vision alive for a few more years yet. Shame he didn't side with this but did with the Vega/Vega + which is looking more and more like a scam, though.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ha! Good work!
It was actually quite easy - took less than 30 minutes. There is a program that converts a bmp/jpg into an SCR file which is what the Spectrum uses. The trick is getting the colours right which is why I used something simple as there are only a couple of colours. Then you just convert this into a tape image and there is a command on the Spectrum that just does the loading screen

And a few hours late but I'm guessing some of you Speccy fans remember Crash magazine. A Kickstarter has just finished to create a Crash Annual 2018.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47744432/crash-annual-2018-the-next-chapter?ref=user_menu

Not a patch on Zzap 64 though. :cool:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
I haven't finished with my etch a sketch yet! Give me another couple of years and I may have caught up with technology!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Pixelated as ****, shit graphics, takes forever to load, red beak, squished circle and wrong font.

Other than that it's alright.

andy_eg

Mar 3, 2015
It was actually quite easy - took less than 30 minutes. There is a program that converts a bmp/jpg into an SCR file which is what the Spectrum uses. The trick is getting the colours right which is why I used something simple as there are only a couple of colours. Then you just convert this into a tape image and there is a command on the Spectrum that just does the loading screen

And a few hours late but I'm guessing some of you Speccy fans remember Crash magazine. A Kickstarter has just finished to create a Crash Annual 2018.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47744432/crash-annual-2018-the-next-chapter?ref=user_menu

Not a patch on Zzap 64 though. :cool:

Wow, I remember some of those game maps on the kickstarter page. Crash magazine was my monthly bible until Kerrang! took over.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
The will it won't it saga of the Vega+ looks like it might just happen!!!!

sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-handheld-1.jpg

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/10/retro_computers_promises_delivery_few_weeks_again/

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've still got some ZX Spectrum games tucked away in the garage. Don't suppose anyone would want them now?!

You would be surprised., I sold a zx spectrum cricket game on ebay a few years ago. I had a couple of buyers fighting over it got £50 or £60 I think. I even got emails from one of them asking me to take it off ebay and he would buy it privately.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You would be surprised., I sold a zx spectrum cricket game on ebay a few years ago. I had a couple of buyers fighting over it got £50 or £60 I think. I even got emails from one of them asking me to take it off ebay and he would buy it privately.
Probably one that hadn't been archived digitally. I stumbled across a couple of C64 disks a few weeks ago that were the same. Probably rarer to get big money for them unless they are really rare - mail order ones normally.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here